Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the driver who hit the cat in Monaleen

Options
  • 02-11-2008 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

and drove off.

You bastard.

I had stop the car to pick it up off the road, I had to ask around the houses finding out who owned it, I had to tell the poor owner that his family cat of five years was mown down by a hit and run.
    Maybe it couldnt be helped, but have some balls and responsibility.
    I am still mad about this.

Thanks to the others who stopped to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Good on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

good on you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jumpy wrote: »
    and drove off.

You bastard.

I had stop the car to pick it up off the road, I had to ask around the houses finding out who owned it, I had to tell the poor owner that his family cat of five years was mown down by a hit and run.

Weldone, but tbh with you I've run over cats myself and its very hard (and sometimes dangerous) to take evasive action when it comes to cats.

As a cat owner, and an owner of a cat which was knocked down and killed I've hated it the few times I've done it. But really, sometimes it can't be helped.

Although I've always stopped and checked on the poor cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Mairt wrote: »
    Weldone, but tbh with you I've run over cats myself and its very hard (and sometimes dangerous) to take evasive action when it comes to cats.

As a cat owner, and an owner of a cat which was knocked down and killed I've hated it the few times I've done it. But really, sometimes it can't be helped.

Although I've always stopped and checked on the poor cat.

No, thats fair enough, it was not too far after a speed bump, so I doubt the person was speeding and I would assume knowing cats that it bolted across the road. Thats not what I am pissed off about, I stopped when I saw the cat kick its leg, but it was dead by the time I pulled over and ran back.
    Someone knows they hit that cat, but drove off without checking, or taking responsibility.
    I am still upset at the look on the poor guys face when I asked him did he own a fluffy grey cat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

No, thats fair enough, it was not too far after a speed bump, so I doubt the person was speeding and I would assume knowing cats that it bolted across the road. Thats not what I am pissed off about, I stopped when I saw the cat kick its leg, but it was dead by the time I pulled over and ran back.
    Someone knows they hit that cat, but drove off without checking, or taking responsibility.
    I am still upset at the look on the poor guys face when I asked him did he own a fluffy grey cat.

It's astounding the amount of people that do this. Himself had to stop a few weeks ago for a cat that had been hit and was still in the middle of the road with it's legs still moving. He moved it to the side of the road but sadly it died too.

Shame on anyone that does this and well done to you for stoping and at least letting the owners know, they may never have know what happened their poor misfortunate kitty otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

some people are just assholes. i watched a cat sitting in the middle of the road last year and seen a car coming towards it. it was in an built up area so it was a pet. i flashed the car a few times to tell him to stop yet he just ploughed straight over it completly on purpose. luckily for the cat it went right under between the wheels and was able to run away after.

I am still getting the horrors from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

Why, why, why do people allow their cats to run around outside.
    Does my head in. If you have a cat, please keep it indoors or only allow it outside if you have an enclosed catrun.

As to the guy who who didn't stop - shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

i was driving in the opposite direction and i seen a car hitting a cat running accross.
    i did a swift u-turn (on a busy road, just off griffith avenue on the malahide road, right outside the VETS!!)
    got out of the car, watched the poor thing try to get to its feet then another car hit it. i moved the poor thing to the side of the road so hopefully the owner would find it.
    absolute SCUMBAGS who did this, not just 1 either
    that really pi55ed me off and my GF was crying beside me in the car.

Another time im driving along the tonlegee rd and i see this little jack russell wriggling in the road
    it was about 1am, i skidded the car into a u-turn and went back, after learning from my above mistake, i blocked half of the road with my car,
    went over to the little fella who was still breathing but bleeding from his nose
    i took off my jacket and picked him up and put him on the backseat of my car.
    My GF rang the emergency vet number (the one where the above incident happened) and i got down there doing nearly 3 times the speed limit, trying to keep the poor thing awake.
    eventually got there and brought him into the vet
    unfortunately he had passed away in the last few seconds in the car.
    still think of the little fella today and remember teenagers standing there staring at him doin nothing....
    sorry for the rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

in waterford meself. Seen poor cat on side of road a few nights ago meself. One cat was over saying hello and cat on ground was dead. Poor thing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pajodublin wrote: »
    i was driving in the opposite direction and i seen a car hitting a cat running accross.
    i did a swift u-turn (on a busy road, just off griffith avenue on the malahide road, right outside the VETS!!)
    got out of the car, watched the poor thing try to get to its feet then another car hit it. i moved the poor thing to the side of the road so hopefully the owner would find it.

Another time im driving along the tonlegee rd and i see this little jack russell wriggling in the road
    it was about 1am, i skidded the car into a u-turn and went back, after learning from my above mistake, i blocked half of the road with my car,
    went over to the little fella who was still breathing but bleeding from his nose
    My GF rang the emergency vet number (the one where the above incident happened) and i got down there doing nearly 3 times the speed limit, trying to keep the poor thing awake.
    still think of the little fella today and remember teenagers standing there staring at him doin nothing....
    sorry for the rant

I commend you and the OP for you actions. Well done for looking out for the lives of those animals, all too many people simply don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

sorry for the rant

Isn't it just as well with so many horrible baxtards in the world that do this kind of thing that there are the likes of you that makes the extra effort to stop and help animals who can't help themselves.

Seriously, well done and thanks.

Originally Posted by pajodublin View Post

sorry for the rant

Is it just me or does anyone else find the above eye poppingly awful:eek:

In the first instance, he stops, outside a vets, to move an injured animal to the side of the road. Thus insuring it dies a slow painful death, without even the hope of a quick exit by means of a passing car.

In the second, he skids to a halt, uses his jacket to warm and protect an animal and makes a mad dash to the vets to get professional help.

Why the difference in care and compassion?

One was only a cat:mad:

And not one person here even commented on such a dichotomy of approach:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

ruben wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else find the above eye poppingly awful:eek:

In the first instance, he stops, outside a vets, to move an injured animal to the side of the road. Thus insuring it dies a slow painful death, without even the hope of a quick exit by means of a passing car.

In the second, he skids to a halt, uses his jacket to warm and protect an animal and makes a mad dash to the vets to get professional help.

Why the difference in care and compassion?

One was only a cat:mad:

And not one person here even commented on such a dichotomy of approach:confused:

If you read the post you will see that by the time he had stopped for the cat a second car had hit the already injured cat, I'm assuming at this point the poor thing was dead and he moved the body to the side of the road to prevent it being mangled and in the hopes that the owners would find it and not spend weeks wondering where their pet was.

The second time he stated he had learnt his lesson and blocked the road with his car to prevent the dog being hit by a second car.

NOTHING to do with Cat -V- Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

ruben wrote: »
    Does my head in. If you have a cat, please keep it indoors or only allow it outside if you have an enclosed catrun.

Don't be stupid! Cats need to go outside - they are hunting animals FFS not stuffed toys or rabbits!

If it was the case that the cat was dead and it was the body he moved, sorry.
    That was not the way I read it but now that you have pointed that out, perhaps that was the case.
    andrewh5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruben View Post

Don't be stupid! Cats need to go outside - they are hunting animals FFS not stuffed toys or rabbits!

That just shows up your lack of knowledge of how the cat brain works.
    Cats can and do live perfectly happily indoors.

The key word here is....live...... as apposed to dying outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

Having lost my pet cat to the road two weeks ago it is unbearably sad but it is only made worse by the fact that cats are considered vermin:eek: in the eyes of the law. should you knowck down a dog it is your legal responsibility to report it (not that most of the time this is not done) but for a cat you can heartlessly drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

and drove off.

You bastard.

You name your thread "To the driver who........etc."

If, in your opinion, the driver concerned showed no regard for the cat, he/she's hardly likely to be browsing this forum. Why then, take the soft option and post it here where you are 'preaching to the converted'?

I suspect this thread would be a lot more interesting if posted in the Motors Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

andrewh5 wrote: »

Agreed. I have two cats. They are great company for each other. But while one is timid and is happy to mooch around the living room and be all luvvie and affectionate in the evenings, the other has no interest whatsoever in his human roommates, except at dinner time, and sits gazing at the glass in the back door. If it is a particularly bad day and I don't let him out, he proceeds to spend the rest of the evening shredding everything he can find, chairs, curtains, boxes, demolishing the contents of the kitchen, and generally acting neurologically disturbed. After a few hours out rambling, he tires himself out and curls up contentedly in any unoccupied chair, instead of parading his neurosis.

It's simple nature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Agreed. I have two cats. They are great company for each other. But while one is timid and is happy to mooch around the living room and be all luvvie and affectionate in the evenings, the other has no interest whatsoever in his human roommates, except at dinner time, and sits gazing at the glass in the back door. If it is a particularly bad day and I don't let him out, he proceeds to spend the rest of the evening shredding everything he can find, chairs, curtains, boxes, demolishing the contents of the kitchen, and generally acting neurologically disturbed. After a few hours out rambling, he tires himself out and curls up contentedly in any unoccupied chair, instead of parading his neurosis.

It's simple nature.

Considering your 'other cat', I think you might find this interesting..

The Dog's Diary:

8:00 am - Dog Food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's Diary:

Day 983 of my captivity. My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little
    dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates
    and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt
    for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order
    to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of
    escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.
    Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I
    had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly
    demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely make condescending
    comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed
    in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could
    hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due
    to the power of "allergies". I must learn what this means, and how to use
    it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my
    tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this
    again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The
    dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be
    more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an
    informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am
    certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective
    custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe, for now.

:pac:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

sorry for the rant

And if you had hit a person while doing three times the speed limit? I commend the trying to help thing, but you're not in the movies. Drive more carefully next time or you may regret it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lol Mairt.

@ruben - sorry i wasnt more clear
    the cat was dead by the time i got to it
    I own 2 cats and 1 dog so i do not discriminate against either animal

@MARKR - it was a figure of speech, i was hardly doing 100mph on a local road
    i am a careful and responsible driver..
    PS: your post was useless in this Topic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I agree, they make very poor pets they should be in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spartie

I agree, I killed a cat a few years ago. Felt terrible about it as I absolutely adore animals. However, I would have caused a fatal (human) accident, if I had tried to avoid that cat. Despite my love for animals, I had to prioritise. You can replace a cat...but not a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gingerspice99

I agree - I have 4 cats who are inside or outside depending on where they would like to be.
    But we don't force them to go out, they have a litter tray so can stay in if they wish. All of them will go to the door and meow to be let out. We call them and they come running. If we let them out when we are going to work they are all waiting for us on the door step when we get home. And they all spend the night curled up at the bottom of our bed.

Wow that sounds like such a hard life :p

As all outside cat owners will know we get the occasional gift......lol this tells me that they are still using their natural hunting instincts which is something I would hate to deny them by keeping them in.

To all of you who stop and help any injured animal, thank you and take care :)

Spartie wrote: »
    I agree, I killed a cat a few years ago. Felt terrible about it as I absolutely adore animals. However, I would have caused a fatal (human) accident, if I had tried to avoid that cat. Despite my love for animals, I had to prioritise. You can replace a cat...but not a person.
    thats one of the stupidest things i have ever read on here
    You can replace a cat?? good one
    yeah they grow on trees, or maybe you make one from dough and cook it in the oven.
    whats your logic on a cat being replaceable?
    they reproduce the same as us "higher beings"
    we are just as replaceable as that cat
    im not saying killing someone instead is right
    Just that your logic is wrong

Heya all,

To anyone who hit a cat (or any animal), this thread wasnt posted to make you feel guilty or horrible, its impossible sometimes to avoid. The "drove off" part was the part I was pissed about.
    People who love animals and accidently hit them will be feeling bad enough without me judging them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Harsh though it may seem, my brother has told me time and time again that when I'm driving, if a cat dashes out in front of the car, not to swerve.

I could seriously injure or kill myself, or a person in an oncoming car.

That said, I do swerve, whether that's dumb or not - for foxes, hares, badgers, hedgehogs, cats, dogs... It's almost instinctual.

If I ever come across the dead body of an animal in the middle of the road, I always stop and move it to the verge. It just seems so inhumane and dis-respectful to have their poor bodies squished into the ground by passing traffic.

Luckily I've rarely come across a live, injured animal on the road. In those cases, I ring the vet and get it straight in. The cats and kittens are usually too badly injured to be saved, but at least PTS is more humane than leaving it to die in horrible pain, or to be hit by another car.

Advertisement