Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a WAP with a wired router

Options
  • 02-11-2008 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.
    I previously had wired broadband in my apartment but recently got a laptop so wanted to get wireless.
    being a cheap student i bought a wireless access point as they were half the price of a wireless router.
    problem is i can only get the wireless to run by using my pc as a bridge.
    so my phone line is attatch to my wired router, which is attached to my pc via usb, which is attached via ethernet to the WAP. I have bridged the connections via windows.
    problem is my wireless only works when the pc is switched on.
    is there any general way in which to have my wireless 24/7 without using my pc as a bridge?
    I have a speedstream router. (not in ireland - canada, with bell)
    i've tried linking the WAP directly to the router but it doesnt seem to work.
    any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

First off, give us a run down of the make/model of your wired router and your AP.

The only way to get WIFI on your laptop while your PC is switched off is to have a router with an ethernet switch builtin. This way you can run a network cable from one of the sockets directly to you AP instead of going through the bridge on your PC (which can be messy at times).

You can also connect your PC dirctly via network cable too instead of USB (not always the best option). The first of the eircom routers had a single ethernet port and USB. In this case, you had to buy a switch to connect extra PCs/laptops.

I generally find that wireless routers are cheaper than dedicated access points.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chances are you'll need to purchase a switch to complete this. The network then will look like this:
    	[Router] ---EX---- [Switch] ----EX---- [AP]
    				 |
    				 E
    				 |__ [PC]

"E" is standard Ethernet, "EX" is a crossover ethernet cable.

TBH, it will work out much simpler and cheaper to just by a Wireless Router w/DSL modem builtin.

Advertisement