Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet internal wall

Options
  • 02-11-2008 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi,
    one of the walls in my parents house is always wet in cold weather, I have just added insulation in their attic do you think that this should sort out their issue, it is an end of terrace house.

Regards
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Which wall is wet? Front, rear or gable?
    What is the wall made of - brick / stone or block?
    Is there a chimney near the wet patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is water vapour from inside the house condensing on this wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

RKQ wrote: »
    Which wall is wet? Front, rear or gable?
    What is the wall made of - brick / stone or block?
    Is there a chimney near the wet patch?

It is on the gable wall and it is made of brick the house is about 50 years old. I did the insulation this weekend in the attic and there were patches there where there was no insulation so that would explain the condensation on the bedroom ceiling so i was wondering if that was the reason for the wet walls too. There is no chimney near the wet wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

It could be caused by one of a number of things:-
    1. Clay brick is porous, so an exposed gable could allow rain water to penetrate, a solid wall.
    2. It could be condensation, especially if the patches on the wall are near a bathroom.
    3. The flashing or verge slates could be damaged, allowing water to soak under the slates and down the wall.
    Check the roof directly over the gable, for loose or broken slates, torn lead or cracks in conc band - which ever is appropiate to your roof.
    Its unlikely to be condensation but a vapour barrier laid under the insulation on the bathroom ceiling should cure this problem.
    Driving rain on a solid wall can lead to water penetration - there are sealers on the market but if the problem isn't causing damage to the fabric then it may not need repair.

Advertisement