Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gear back tonight, BBC 2 8pm

Options
  • 02-11-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭

As the thread title says, just a reminder for petrol head boardsies, I know theres a Top Gear forum but it's not terribly active.

Heres hoping they get back to focusing more on reviewing and testing cars rather than the overblown stunts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Love having TG back, my fave show!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Can't wait for the lap of the veyron:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Cant wait for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Heres hoping they get back to focusing more on reviewing and testing cars rather than the overblown stunts.

Meh. Reviewing cars can only keep you interested for so long. They tend to review the important cars, rather than every car, and focus on the exciting rather than the mundane. To be fair, if I wanted a review of an ordinary car, I'd go down to the dealer and drive it myself.

Top Gear's biggest ratings come from the spectacular stunts. They have to find a balance of what's popular while still trying to drive the innovation that made the show popular in the first place. A review of the new Avensis won't do either.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Bill wrote: »
    Love having TG back, my fave show!
    A chacun son truc(k)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

IT'S STARTED!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Great show. Loved the lorries! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

As the thread title says, just a reminder for petrol head boardsies, I know theres a Top Gear forum but it's not terribly active.

Its not terribly active because the threads get started here instead, like this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

kleefarr wrote: »
    Great show. Loved the lorries! :D

I really liked it, but i think they spend a bit too much time interviewing the star in the reasonably priced car!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bryn wrote: »
    I really liked it, but i think they spend a bit too much time interviewing the star in the reasonably priced car!

Of course, Parky is a king of interviews so Clarkson probably felt he deserved a good long interview.

I even re-watched the second truck task(Sky+), when hamster didnt know he had lost the car was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Silverfish wrote: »
    Its not terribly active because the threads get started here instead, like this one :)

say the word and I'll throw this one your way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was kind of typical that they sourced possibly the least powerful Scania (the 94D 320) and included the awful British ERF, a truck that many drivers wouldn't be caught dead in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Silverfish wrote: »

Just wanted to remind the wider Motors forum, I was constantly forgetting about Top Gear last year.

Good show, my earlier comments about getting back to more in depth reviews were soon forgotten when I saw an power-sliding artic :o:D

Good episode but that "celebrity" bit in the middle really sticks out like a sore thumb for me. A sore thumb that needs to be amputated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

HOW!!! did they get away with those stunts??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Looking forward to the Muscle Car gig next week - I know they're gonna diss and thrash them, which will disappoint me, but I still wanna see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Did they only pay £5k for those trucks or did I hear it wrong? Surely I must have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Im only in from James Bond and only realised it started back now!!! Nooooo! Does anyone know if its repeated???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I missed it, and it seems BBC2 NI aren't showing the weekly repeats this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Delighted TG is back great show as always clarkson just cracks me up,hitting the wall OMG how funny was his reaction lmao:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Bryn wrote: »
    i think they spend a bit too much time interviewing the star in the reasonably priced car!

sky+ & FF FTW.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If you missed it last night I'm sure you will catch it on Dave :P

Good episode, the stunts with the trucks were a bit mad tbh. Honestly who ok'd the Staw + electric heater in the trailor....as for the brick wall....ouchie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

kayos wrote: »
    If you missed it last night I'm sure you will catch it on Dave :P

Yeah, last night's episode is scheduled in on Dave at 9.00pm on thursday 6th November, 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I was looking forward to last nights programme, even Sky+ed it. The truck feature seemed especially promising. In the end though it was a case of 'meh:(...'. Maybe i'm jaded from watching all those repeats on Dave. For me though the whole thing is getting a bit stale.

The 'Star...Reasonably Priced Car' segment gets a lot of stick on this foum but I think it can be very good sometimes - the more myopic petrol-heads mightn't agree.

Some good bits coming up though - Vietnam, some sort of race in obscure, ancient rustbuckets and Captain Slow riding with Mika Hakkinen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Why would they? It's one of my girlfriend's favourite shows and she's not a petrol head by any means. They are reaching a huge audience with the more entertainment oriented show than the original car review format. I'd be interested to see how viewing figures have changed over the years.

Incidentally, while the economy is in the toilet, it would be the worst time to switch back to a car buyer's guide style show. :D
    It was kind of typical that they sourced possibly the least powerful Scania (the 94D 320) and included the awful British ERF, a truck that many drivers wouldn't be caught dead in.

94-D-320 is a red Merc not a Scania. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Plug wrote: »
    Can't wait for the lap of the veyron:)

Did it do a lap last night? How did i forget this was back:(

When is it repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

The part on depreciation was a reality check, Clarkson saying the car you have now is the car you will be stuck with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I missed it, and it seems BBC2 NI aren't showing the weekly repeats this year :(

Arrggh wtf? Silly bastards on that station. I usually always catch TG but nice to know if I don't that I'd get to see it on a wednesday...until now. Probably to make room for repeats of the Blame Game or Folks on the Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

MOG7 wrote: »
    Did it do a lap last night? How did i forget this was back:(

When is it repeated?
    Didn't happen last night. I think the repeats are on thursday IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

It's repeated every evening at nine on Bittorrent.

And I thought the final truck stunts were a bit over the top. They were funny alright, but I hope that's not the way the show is heading. I much prefer the races between the lads with differing means of transport.

But aye, I was cracking up when Hammond hadn't noticed he lost the car, as well as when he was connecting the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

I had to laugh when Jezza drove the 911 GT2. Funniest review I've seen in ages, despite lack of intelligent comment. Just "Aaaaaaaaaaaaarhhhhhhggg" followed by large plumes of smoke. I especially liked the way he wouldn't admit that it beat the Lamborghini when driven by Stig. Don't know why he won't warm to Porsche :mad:

Advertisement