Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy Nokia N95 8GB - Where to get it?

• 02-11-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I've been researching the device for quite some time; several days to be precise, and have decided to get this phone over the Blackberry Storm. I know it seems great as I've heard mostly good reports. Whilst working one day, a fellow DJ was given one in the radio station by Nokia. He loves it.

Basically, I am trying to find where I can get one. I have searched the websites scattered around the forum, and I have found various different prices and rates. However, I've also found some on eBay.

Now, I've never shopped on eBay, and even following the Safety Centre guidelines, I am still a bit unsure about what to expect or trust. Also, despite coming from people in Mullingar and Galway, I would not know if they are good or not, because they only accept PayPal, and apparently that's dodgy?

I see Carphone Warehouse, and other similar outlets, but they are quite expensive SIM Free.

I just want to know would anyone have an idea where I could pick up a N95 8GB online or in a store cheap, and legitimately. I would try eBay, or other websites, but just would love to hear advice or opinions from other users or purchasers.

I appreciate all replies and assistance,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What network are you looking for, sim free? Did you know the N96 is out now...

ebay and paypal are not near as dodgy as your making out....if you buy from someone with good reputation you should be fine....

I think there's a few over on adverts.ie....there pretty cheap new on bill pay with Meteor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

(Thanks for your reply)

I would probably go for SIM Free, as I feel it's a better option, and because I use a second SIM Card when needed. It saves the hassle if unlocked, but if it's available cheap anywhere on a network, I would probably go for that... Once not plagued with preloaded branding! :)

I have seen the N96, but really wondering do I need it. It's not got much more than what I want on the phone. Like, I won't watch TV for example. But, most people are saying that the N95 8GB still beats the N96. I am a heavy content user, as in, I would sent a lot of texts messages in a day, along with storing and taking photos on occasion (maybe a few a day), along with possibly using the WiFi a bit on occasion. This is all available in the N95, so paying a great deal more for the N96 might be slightly pointless, in my opinion.

Please accept my apologies if it seemed that I was trying to make them out to be the worst thing in the world! It's just I've heard so many bad stories about buying things, and I thought I heard somewhere that if a buyer does not accept Credit Cards, they are probably a bit iffy. Sorry! Thank you for pointing out opinions.

In relation to reputation, what is expected? The three I have seen have 21 , 4 and 41 respectively. These just seem very low, and are mostly buyers, rather than sellers.

I have looked at Adverts, and seeing what the story is, but again, far higher prices than ones I have seen elsewhere.

Most of all, I am currently on Pay as You Go with Meteor. Not because I can't get Bill Pay, but because my current price plan offers suit me.

Again, thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

try expansys.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Your right t go for the N95 8gig over the N96. Symbian-freak.com is the only place I take any notice of when regarding reviews of phones. Sionce osme of the lads on there actually get the phones to test for free from Nokia, I would go for the N95 8gig. I have it already meself so Im probably biased.
    You will have to debrand the phone and put the newer generic firmware on it. Well ya dont have to but most people do.
    You could just buy one locked to a specific network, after a while ring em up and tell em you use to sim cards, one home network and one abroad and they should unlock the phone for nothing for you. They did for me mate anyways.

metalfest wrote: »
    try expansys.ie

Thanks, but the prices are nearing the €500 mark. For example, the cheapest phone of the 8GB in any deal was €474.99, which is still quite pricey for the internet.

I doubt they do bargaining! ;)
    seanybiker wrote: »
    Your right t go for the N95 8gig over the N96. Symbian-freak.com is the only place I take any notice of when regarding reviews of phones. Sionce osme of the lads on there actually get the phones to test for free from Nokia, I would go for the N95 8gig. I have it already meself so Im probably biased.
    You will have to debrand the phone and put the newer generic firmware on it. Well ya dont have to but most people do.
    You could just buy one locked to a specific network, after a while ring em up and tell em you use to sim cards, one home network and one abroad and they should unlock the phone for nothing for you. They did for me mate anyways.

Well, I am, without trying to sound precocious or self-praising, quite tech-savvy, (Lol) so I would constantly update it and keep it up to date, along with getting technical on features, so I would install the latest firmware from Nokia on it. This should do the trick, as you say.

Yeah, that was an idea, to just unlock it myself, if needs be, but its still working out quite costly to buy it from a network, taking into account that I don't have a Bill Pay account at the moment and that no colleagues or family members could enable me use their upgrade.

(Thank you for your reply)

• Advertisement

How much do you expect (want) to pay? It's a €500 handset...

How much do you expect (want) to pay? It's a €500 handset...
    Well, here's the thing...

Yes, I know it's costly, and I don't mean to sound like an idiot trying to get it dirt cheap, but from seeing some €200+ prices online, etc., I would not mind getting it at this price. Hence my question regarding eBay.

As always, just trying to get my head around "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is".

And seriously, I'm not trying to sound like an idiot trying to scab a cheap bargain, just looking for the best price, as we all wood.

This looks like a safe buy €290 and it's and Irish Seller....2mts old....still under warranty...you can't realy go wrong....

Trouble is it's locked to Vodafone....You never said what network your going to be using it on...it'll set you back 50 euro to get it unlocked....

oops...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nokia-N95-8GB-Mobile-Phone_W0QQitemZ160296157862QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160296157862&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

100% feedback for seller....it's a safe buy!!!

he's payg meteor

• Advertisement

This looks like a safe buy €290 and it's and Irish Seller....2mts old....still under warranty...you can't realy go wrong....

Trouble is it's locked to Vodafone....You never said what network your going to be using it on...it'll set you back 50 euro to get it unlocked....

oops...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nokia-N95-8GB-Mobile-Phone_W0QQitemZ160296157862QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160296157862&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

100% feedback for seller....it's a safe buy!!!

Oh right, so if it's like 100%, they are safe enough?
    I see it's nearly new. Wouldn't be buggy, hence selling it after only two months?

As for the Vodafone, couldn't I unlock it via #pw+XXXXXX...# and then flash it with firmware upgrade? Wouldn't cost €50 for an unlocking code, eh?
    metalfest wrote: »
    he's payg meteor

Yes, I am. Thanks metalfest. :)
    (Oh, and O2 PAYG, too ;))

Had a look at this too. What would "normal marks" be, after two months?
    Any ideas?

Again, Thank you for your reply.

DavidLive wrote: »
    Oh right, so if it's like 100%, they are safe enough?
    I see it's nearly new. Wouldn't be buggy, hence selling it after only two months?

As for the Vodafone, couldn't I unlock it via #pw+XXXXXX...# and then flash it with firmware upgrade? Wouldn't cost €50 for an unlocking code, eh?

Yes, I am. Thanks metalfest. :)
    (Oh, and O2 PAYG, too ;))

Had a look at this too. What would "normal marks" be, after two months?
    Any ideas?

If you've 100% Feedback it's sign they are the best sellers and buyers on ebay...even 98 99 is still fine....think carefully before you give a negative feedback....... http://www.money.co.uk/article/1001771-man-sued-for-leaving-negative-feedback-on-ebay.htm

If it's buggy just send it back for repair, it's in warranty, shouldn't cost you anything.....

If you can unlock it for nothing i'd go with the Irish one, your 02 sim would be best for a 3G Coverage, If your sticking with 02 make sure and call them to activate the 99cent a day data add on...

2mts wear and tear is nothing....could be a couple of scratches here and there but nothing you wouldn't have done yourself....

go on make your first ebay purchase....then flog your old one on it...you'll soon get the hang of it:)

Sure, it's worldwide warranty on Nokia N95, I think. European at least.
    They'd only require the phone, eh? Like, if I needed it (hopefully not), I'd pop into the Mobile Phone Repair Company in Sandyford. There would be 10 Months left on Warranty, I'd imagine.

Looking at unlocking, I forgot that the N95 used BB5, not DCT4/5, so it must use a code from Nokia, or usage of a DM3. And I don't think anyone in town does it (at a cost effective price), so the UK option may be better. I could buy that, saving thirty Euro, and hope it suits. €280 vs. €300 seems better! ;)

eBay looks good... Can't wait for it to be my friend! :)

drunkmonkey, I really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

no bother, ;)

don't wait to long....hope it works out ok....should do....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Decis

Be Careful of those ebay phones, not all of them have Wifi or GPS
    I'm looking myself fo a cheap n95. But from reading the posts I will just stick to o2 and Upgrade

Decis wrote: »
    Be Careful of those ebay phones, not all of them have Wifi or GPS
    I'm looking myself fo a cheap n95. But from reading the posts I will just stick to o2 and Upgrade

If it dosen't have WI-FI or GPS it's not a N95, your buying a copy, there is no problem if your buying an original Nokia...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

get it on meteor bill pay from the carphone warehouse, probably cost u about 200 quid on a 20e tarrif. as far as i know their meteor handsets are sim free.

at least the n95 8gb, (MINE WAS)

And meteor's 3g service is pretty passible if ur in one of the coverage areas.. works really fast as a mobile broadband modem too.

get it on meteor bill pay from the carphone warehouse, probably cost u about 200 quid on a 20e tarrif. as far as i know their meteor handsets are sim free.

at least the n95 8gb, (MINE WAS)

And meteor's 3g service is pretty passible if ur in one of the coverage areas.. works really fast as a mobile broadband modem too.

you mean unlocked?

Advertisement