Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockshield Value Issue

Options
  • 02-11-2008 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi all,

After turning on my gas central heating after the summer I noted that some rads were hotter than others. So I have tried to balance the system by opening and closing the lockshield valves throughout the rads in the house.

All was going fine until the last room (rad is the furthest away) and after adjustments made in other rooms the rad is now essentially cold when the heating is on, however the lockshield valve will not budge at all - and this results in the room being freezing. I have tried various plyers until the valve started shaving.

Any one have any experience that can help? Otherwise I had better call in the plumber.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If the furthest away rad was heating before you went at things, then the valve must be open. If you can't turn it, it must be stuck fully open. You would always have the most distance valve fully open anyway. You should close the ones nearest to the boiler almost fully, and that will get the water to the furthest away one. Each rad valve should be closed as much as possible, while still giving full heat.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

Cheers JamesM,

Before my DIY job the problem rad was barely luke warm, and after it is just cold. I will take your advise around close down almost fully the valves closest to the boiler and hopefully that will improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Also make sure that the water circulating pump is at the fastest speed - most have a switch of some kind.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

James,

Would the circulating pump speed switch be beside the boiler and what would it look like.

Thanks again.

Gareth

Advertisement