Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to Offer Flights to USA from €10

Options
  • 02-11-2008 8:06pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see in the Irish Times website, that Ryanair appear to be planning a new Transatlantic air service, with fares for as little as €10 for economy passengers to a range of destinations in the USA, such as New York, Boston and San Francisco.

I thought Ryaniar were not planning long haul services ever?:confused:

Article here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1102/breaking34.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Thats all Aviation And Aircraft members of boards going spotting at JFK.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Ryanair's PRO has denied this on the short term.

Apparently it will take longer than anticipated to get the flying boats in Foynes airworthy again.

Foggy43 wrote: »

Apparently it will take longer than anticipated to get the flying boats in Foynes airworthy again.

ROFL:pac:

*snigger*

IN related news, just saw this on youtube:

Looks like the Irish Times got it wrong.

Spot the BAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

How would ryanair make money on these flights? assuming they pick up cheap second hand 747's and squeeze in 500+ seats, at 10 euros a pop they would at best make 6grand a flight. How much would it cost to operate a jumbo for the same flight when you factor in crew costs, fuel and other bits and bob's? And I could not see a plane making more then two flights a day (there and back). Was it not Mick O'Leary himself who said the budget airline model did not lend itself to long distance flights?

Unless the 10euro flight does not include a 200 euro credit charge handling fee plus the other usual ryanair taxes and charges...

Seriously though i'd love to know the cost of operating a transatlantic jet. Maybe Ryanair are going to use 737's for the job - I heard some of the latest 737's are now rated for ETOPS, but would you want to spend 6 or more hours on a ryanair narrowbody with limited space and seat pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dogmatix wrote: »
    How would ryanair make money on these flights? assuming they pick up cheap second hand 747's and squeeze in 500+ seats, at 10 euros a pop they would at best make 6grand a flight. How much would it cost to operate a jumbo for the same flight when you factor in crew costs, fuel and other bits and bob's? And I could not see a plane making more then two flights a day (there and back). Was it not Mick O'Leary himself who said the budget airline model did not lend itself to long distance flights?

Unless the 10euro flight does not include a 200 euro credit charge handling fee plus the other usual ryanair taxes and charges...

Seriously though i'd love to know the cost of operating a transatlantic jet. Maybe Ryanair are going to use 737's for the job - I heard some of the latest 737's are now rated for ETOPS, but would you want to spend 6 or more hours on a ryanair narrowbody with limited space and seat pitch?
    Did O'Leary not break the news to you yet that his second name is Vincent?. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Quote from Michael O'Leary on RTE News... "He also said it was no secret that the airline is setting up a sister company to fly cross the Atlantic, but that nothing could happen until the airline secures a long-haul fleet."

More...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

The Business class will be very expensive and only a certain number of seats in economy will go for €10. The closer you get to the date, the more it will cost.

Lets not forget that Ryanair make huge money off selling food and drink. On a 6 hour flight, this will only increase...

John_Mc wrote: »

Lets not forget that Ryanair make huge money off selling food and drink. On a 6 hour flight, this will only increase...
    Like three sandwiches instead of the usual one. :confused:

Like three sandwiches instead of the usual one. :confused:

Like €6 for a sandwich that costs them €1, add several beverages to that & multiply by 300 to give the capacity of a long hauler economy class. Priority checkin charges, CC transaction charges, etc etc etc.

Ryanair pilots have to pay for Tea and Coffee FFS! :eek:

• Advertisement

Like €6 for a sandwich that costs them €1, add several beverages to that & multiply by 300 to give the capacity of a long hauler economy class. Priority checkin charges, CC transaction charges, etc etc etc.

They also have a considerable amount of wastage, ie unsold sandwiches etc that have to be dumped because their sell by date has expired anyone working in aircraft catering could confirm this. A fresh sandwich would last about two to three days at the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

And as the punter would be up there for ages - you'll have to pay through the nose for your dinner & desert and drinks etc.
    On the upside, the eastern european talent in the crew will be much more appealing to behold than the Aer Lingus Olde Wans they have.
    2673463570104150087S600x600Q85.jpg

ohhh, and you can now get your charity calender herefor 2009!
    https://www.ryanaircalendar.com/:pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Steyr wrote: »
    Thats all Aviation And Aircraft members of boards going spotting at JFK.:)

Im in

They also have a considerable amount of wastage, ie unsold sandwiches etc that have to be dumped because their sell by date has expired. A fresh sandwich would last about two to three days at the most.

Careful monitoring of what sandwiches sell well and what dont over a reasonable period of time would sort that.

I only tried buying a sandwich once on a Ryanair flight and they were completely sold out.

Plenty of legs per day = plenty of potential customers = better chance of the product being sold.

Careful monitoring of what sandwiches sell well and what dont over a reasonable period of time would sort that.

I only tried buying a sandwich once on a Ryanair flight and they were completely sold out.

Plenty of legs per day = plenty of potential customers = better chance of the product being sold.
    I was on one delayed flight back from Gatwick where there was no sandwiches or tea available, maybe they took too much precaution.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

lol i have never had to pay for my tea in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Business class will be very expensive and only a certain number of seats in economy will go for €10. The closer you get to the date, the more it will cost.

Also they will start charging to use the toilet. Charges for movies and headphones etc.

When they say they fly to New York, Ryanair mean Buffalo, New York. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Would they be buying up older 757's for this I wonder???

Or is a loaded 747 more cost effective?

Fabio wrote: »
    Would they be buying up older 757's for this I wonder???

Or is a loaded 747 more cost effective?
    If they opt for the 757 they won't get the business class clients paying top dollar. It would have to be wide bodied or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Of course it could all just be load of cobblers. Because it's interesting that this was flown on the same day Ryanair announced their first big losses in years so maybe it is just to distract people from the bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Can't see why business passengers would pay €5k to get to an airport outside city centres - eg Buffalo - but then again the likes of JFK are heavily congested nowadays.

They'd have to have a limo or something at the other end and passengers who weren't time constrained.

Given this scenario, how would they fill 10% ro 15% of seating capacity with business passengers?

Not sure Mick has thought this one through fully.

Surely the best plane would be 787s due to fuel efficiency but there's a long waiting list. so they'd surely have to go for 767 or 777 for practicality and fuel efficiency over 747 or 757. Maybe an Airbus A330 or A340 might come up cheap.

Ryanair would probably love the A380 for the economy seating capacity and fuel efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

I think that if we are all expecting to get to the US for a tenner we all need psychiatric help. From another site, it has been said that BA are charging £350 for a return flight to Arizona. The government and airport authority taxes etc. are £291.80. So, if you add those taxes to the €10 each way flight you are talking about €380 return. I've flown with Ryanair on numerous occasions and have found them OK, in fact if it was'nt for them I probably would'nt have been able to go to places that I have by air, but we have to be realistic.

As far as Ryanair announcing a 47% is concerned, they made €200,000,000 in the previous period so that still means that they made a profit of about €106,000,000, not a bad profit in anyones books.

380e return wouldnt be bad either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Of course it could all just be load of cobblers. Because it's interesting that this was flown on the same day Ryanair announced their first big losses in years so maybe it is just to distract people from the bad news.
    They announced a reduction in profits. A reduced profit is still a profit, NOT a loss.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don't think I'd relish the idea of being stuck on a plane for 9 hours staring at an advert saturated chair back and being charged €30 for a hot meal, if I was lucky to get one at all...and I doubt there would be any sort of inflight entertainment unless you were willing to pay €150 for the priviledge.

And when Ryanair say they will be flying to San Francisco, you can bet that you will be actually flying to somewhere like Fresno, Bakersfield or Reno...if you're lucky .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If people would read post 8 again... Ryanair will NOT be going long haul. Mick is setting up a new airline for this operation if he gets the aircraft he needs for the price he wants over the next year or so. It will be a new airline operating to the most efficient model possible for transatlantic operations you can be sure.
    Plane options most likely are 757 long haul varient, A350 or 787 depending on the volume of traffic he predicts. And you can be sure he won't be too far off the mark.

Advertisement