Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused by eircom

Options
  • 02-11-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I recently moved into a house in Athlone that has an active eircom line with broadband,I ordered a new line from eircom for my own broadband connection,At the same time another new tenant also ordered a new line and broadband connection. So anyway engineer guy comes out installs the 2 lines and i ask him about broadband on it and he says no problem easy to do around here. great I think :).
    I ring Eircom 2 days later to order broadband coz you cant do both at the same time? only to be told my line is not suitable? The other 2 lines in the house haver got it including the new on installed at the same time as mine.
    Whats the deal ? Making me crazy ! Grrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

mookishboy wrote: »
    Whats the deal ?

There is no deal. Just a joke. Its a lottery
    Ring them, demand to speak to a senior if they repeat the same spiel.
    And tell them about the neighbouring apartment and ask why they get special treatment.

Its either that or Jihad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

tell them you'd like to cancel your order unless you can get broadband also, see how quick they jump when they know they're not gaurenteed your custom

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you've gotten a PSTN line installed it can take upto 30 days for Eircom to test the line for it to show as available on the ADSL checker,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you ordered a bundle ( rental + talktime+ bb) you can cancel with no fee if the line does not support broadband and the engineer KNEW before installing that the line is for broadband because you ordered a bundle with broadband .

If you ordered a line on its own then you cannot cancel withiout paying connection and a month or two rental and calls made .

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Have you tried any other ISPs' broadband line checkers?

And just a thought; I wondered if your phone number's area code is the same as the other tenants'? If you brought your existing phone number with you when you moved (as is/was possible in the UK), or Eircom's given you a new number with a differing code, Eircom may be confused themselves.

My area code is different from that of the town a few km away (Ardara), from which the physical wire comes. Before Ardara was BB enabled, typing my phone number into Eircom's BB availability checker wrongly told me I could get broadband. (They also had a BB trigger scheme for Ardara at one point, which I eagerly went to their website to vote for, only to be blocked from voting because they hadn't given me an Ardara area code!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

LOL , you must be miles from the Narin exchange which does not have BB yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    LOL , you must be miles from the Narin exchange which does not have BB yet :p

Im opposite AIT in willow park :(

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

why the need to order another line to a house that already has one with broadband (or two) ?? Surely ye could share a connection, which would work out much cheaper (especially for student use if thats the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

stylers wrote: »
    why the need to order another line to a house that already has one with broadband (or two) ?? Surely ye could share a connection, which would work out much cheaper (especially for student use if thats the case).

Thats what I was thinking. Surely choosing the best line, and ordering a high speed, unlimited cap service would be much cheaper ? The line rental alone at the moment would be over 75e per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Well its a shared house with individual bedsit type rooms and sharing a connection is not really my thing.Though it looks like it is going to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement