Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy water tank

Options
  • 02-11-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Our water tank in the attic is right above our bedroom. Although the attic is fully insulated, the tank is quite noisy and I was wondering if there is any way of reducing the noise into the bedroom.
    Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As you are probably aware, the space under the tank isn't supposed to be insulated for a reason, so it does tend to let the noise of the tank refilling come down into the room below.
    Your options are as follows:
    1 - lag the tank around the top and sides but not the underside.
    2 - fit a long piece of light plastic tubing over the refill nozzel to prevent the water splashing into the tank. It acts as a 'ladder' to guide the water down and reduces noise.
    Have a look at this image for an idea of what's I'm talking about...
    1322_torbeck_BE_Adj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

10-10-20 wrote: »
    As you are probably aware, the space under the tank isn't supposed to be insulated for a reason,

Thanks for that 10 10 20. I didn't know that the tank shouldn't be insulated underneath. Do you know why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's to allow some heat from the living space below to rise up and keep the tank from freezing during colder weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thanks! That's just so obvious once it's pointed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could replace your float valve with a silent valve type (fluid master or similar). I did this with the main toilet cistern and the improvement is significant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement