Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird Motor Problem

Options
  • 02-11-2008 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I own a VW golf 1999. The left indicator works perfectly except at night when i turn the lights on. Then it only works for a few seconds and stops or else it dosent work at all. If i turn off the lights while driving it will work perfectly. What could be the cause of this?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

A bad earth probably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Whats a bad earth and how do i fix it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

The electrical conections in the indicator or light might be damp or coroded.So it not getting earthed to the body corectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

So i should just have look at front and back indicator light and check for loose or coroded connections??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

are the indicators on the same stalk as the lights? could be faulty too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If its a mk4 Golf, I've seen this happen a few times and the problem every time has been the indicator relays. They are integrated with the hazard switch on the mk 4 golfs, so if you take out the hazard switch and change it, it usually sorts out the problem. A quick test to do is turn on the indicator switch and when the fault you are seeing occurs, just tap the hazard switch and if the indicator starts working, this is where your problem is...

Advertisement