Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car leak

Options
  • 02-11-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi, i'm back again.

I've noticed yesterday and today when reversing from parked, and the ground was drx that i've a leak.

It seems to be coming from the front middle of the car. I've left behind a small wet patch.

I know there could be many reasons for leaks but does anyone have any clues as to what it may be and wheather it will be a small/major job to fix, so i wont get a land when i take it toa mechanic. Its a 99 citroen xsara.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think you may have your priorities wrong here.

The question isn't really what it could be and how much the mechanic may charge for it, but, depending on what is leaking exactly, whether you or the car will make it to the mechanic without getting killed.

Unless you know FOR SURE that it is just a harmless nuisance of a leak, don't continue driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have you aircon and were you using it? Water will build up on the condenser and can/will puddle under a car. If you do and you did then check if its just water.

Just one suggestion. Next option is mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Thanks for the replies.

I have air conditioning but i wasn't using it. I very rarely use it actually.

I have absolutely no idea what so ever what the leak is.

Will be phoning a mechanic during the week. Will hopefully try to bring it to him on wed. or sat next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

darling.x wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I have air conditioning but i wasn't using it. I very rarely use it actually.

I have absolutely no idea what so ever what the leak is.

Will be phoning a mechanic during the week. Will hopefully try to bring it to him on wed. or sat next.

Dont drive the car until a mechanic see's it. If it is oil leaking, then you will destroy your engine

I got a secondhand bonnet fixed onto my car during the week. The bonnet was outside in my backyard for two weeks. The inside of it got wet.
    I wonder would that have anything to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

darling.x wrote: »
    I got a secondhand bonnet fixed onto my car during the week. The bonnet was outside in my backyard for two weeks. The inside of it got wet.
    I wonder would that have anything to do with it.

Possible, but i doubt it. After you had it fitted and you drove the car, the engine would have got warm which would have evaporated whatever water wasnt moved when you wearing driving

Thanks Bryn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could inspect the wet patch.

Dip your finger in it, rub the fluid between your fingers, look at it, smell it, taste it (if you dare). You would recognise engine oil pretty easily, same for diesel/petrol ...anything else could be a tossup between brake fluid, coolant, washer fluid or really just water/condensation.

Only the last two would leave your car safe to drive ...all the others could turn out to be either very expensive or even lethal if you continue driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

peasant wrote: »
    You could inspect the wet patch.

Dip your finger in it, rub the fluid between your fingers, look at it, smell it, taste it (if you dare). You would recognise engine oil pretty easily, same for diesel/petrol ...anything else could be a tossup between brake fluid, coolant, washer fluid or really just water/condensation.

Only the last two would leave your car safe to drive ...all the others could turn out to be either very expensive or even lethal if you continue driving.

I wouldn't be advising anyone to taste brake fluid,

Thanks for the replies. I've been out driving again with my brother.

The leak is actually towards the front left hand side if that makes any difference.

I couldn't inspect tonight but will be doing it tomorrow evening straight after work as the place where i work is all tarmac.

• Advertisement

I'll first smell the dipstick to see what oil smells of.

I'll then turn on the car for about 10 mins. Then reverse. And inspect what i've left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd start by checking all the fluids - that way you know that you have enough of everything you need.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You really should use the aircon regularly as the refridgerant is also the system lubricant, and needs circulating. 10 mins a week would keep it in good condition.

Advertisement