Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking a beef joint

• 02-11-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

is the generally advised 20 mins + 20mins per lb accurate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

what cut of meat is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

topside, 1.2kg, no fat

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I know it's probably a bit late now, but when I roast beef I generally use the timings of; 15 mins plus 15 mins per lb (stop now for rare) plus 15 mins (for medium rare) plus 15 mins (for well done).

So for example, if I had a piece of beef that weighed 2 lbs and I wanted it well done, I would cook it for 15 mins plus 30 mins plus 30 mins = 1 hr 15 mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't think topside is one of the more tender cuts so you'd have to cook it for a lot longer than, say, fillet or sirloin. With this type of cut I usually bring it to the boil in a pot of water and simmer it for 20 minutes, then roast for around 2 hours (3 if it's a huge piece). it's the only way you can cook it until tender and still have it moist all the way through.
    If you like your beef rare and cooked quickly you need to buy the very expensive cuts.

Advertisement