Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike lessons

• 02-11-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

I want to get some bike lessons (complete beginner), but they seem to be much more expensive than I thought. I see on ISM they are €140 for 2 hours :eek: Some other site think it was motorbiketraining.net, it's around €200 for 3 hours. Since a car lesson is around €35, I didn't expect a bike to be twice the price for something that costs a lot less to buy??? Does anybody know of any other places that give lessons at a more reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I agree with you, bike lessons are very expensive compared to cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

TheDriver wrote: »
    I agree with you, bike lessons are very expensive compared to cars.
    I guess there's no cheaper way around it then? It's pretty ridiculous, I mean surely a bike is about a third or quarter the price of a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Tony Danza wrote: »
    I want to get some bike lessons (complete beginner), but they seem to be much more expensive than I thought. I see on ISM they are €140 for 2 hours :eek: Some other site think it was motorbiketraining.net, it's around €200 for 3 hours. Since a car lesson is around €35, I didn't expect a bike to be twice the price for something that costs a lot less to buy??? Does anybody know of any other places that give lessons at a more reasonable price?

Thats €200 that might just save your life well worth it imo. :rolleyes:

Tony Danza wrote: »
    It's pretty ridiculous, I mean surely a bike is about a third or quarter the price of a car?

The bike is but the right training to ride it properly is well worth the money.

A bike trainer has higher costs, gear + insurance and a smaller market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Some bike trainers/courses will also net you a savings on your insurance. I just did a 6hour course with David Lyons. With the fact it was a Bank Holiday and I was using his bike, I ended up paying a small fortune - however I got half it back with an insurance discount because he's an accessor for Quinn and Aon. :)

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Thats €200 that might just save your life well worth it imo. :rolleyes:
    I agree, but not what I'm asking.

So I guess nobody knows where I can get cheaper lessons. OK, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

if you know someone who has experience with bikes just ask them to give you a few. find a quiet road or lane and practice moving off, stopping and going up amd down through the gears. lessons are a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 WOGGET

yeah lessons are a rip off alright compared to a car at least. however i still think that you should get a few, biking can be very dangerous if you dont know what your doing. id recommend aaron rider training in finglas - peter's a sound bloke!

WOGGET wrote: »
    yeah lessons are a rip off alright compared to a car at least. however i still think that you should get a few, biking can be very dangerous if you dont know what your doing. id recommend aaron rider training in finglas - peter's a sound bloke!
    Cheers for the info. Do you have a number you can PM me? Any idea what he charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if you know someone who has experience with bikes just ask them to give you a few. find a quiet road or lane and practice moving off, stopping and going up amd down through the gears. lessons are a rip-off.

+1, find someone who is sound, safe and maybe does instructing/teaching in something so they will have patience to show you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Hi folks,

Sorry to hijack this thread - but I've got the exact same question as Tony Danza (!).

I've got a shiny new "Learner Permit" in my hand today, and know NOTHING about bikes; so, rip-off or not - I really need a lesson at the moment, to cover the very basics (on/off, turning, braking, etc)

I don't even have a bike either yet.

With the above in mind - is there any kind of training I can do that will help with insurance costs, etc, when I do buy the bike itself?
    (From what I've read, the AON and Quinn assessment tests are currently a bit too advanced for me and I'm afraid I'd fail them!)

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

If you are in Dublin you could try these guys: http://www.aaronridertraining.com
    Prices are a 'little' cheaper:

Own Bike

3 hours on own bike 150 euro
    7 hours on own bike 300 euro

Hire Bike (including insurance)

3 hours on hire bike 200 euro
    7 hours on hire bike 350 euro
    2 day intensive course 700 euro

I have no association with the company other than they were recommended to me by a friend who had used them prior to passing his test, I have not used them myself yet, but plan to when I get my test date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Fingal County Council do whats called the Silver Star Rider Course

Its 12 hours of tuition for only 225 euro !!!!!

It runs at weekends....4 hours on sat, 4 on sunday, then 4 on the next saturday.

When I did it there was 6 'pupils' and 4 instructors. 2 of which were complete beginners and got 1 to 1 tuition for the complete 12 hours.

The course is based in the county council depot in Swords.

I couldnt recommend it enough for begineer bikers....the instructors are top lads.

Edit - they also get you a hired bike if you need at an extra cost by the way (not sure how much)

Dont have contact number but if you ring the main county council office in Swords and ask for Peter Murphy in Road Safety you'll get all the info you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭gipi

Fingal Co co also provide a Bronze Star Rider course, which is 4 hours and geared towards the complete newbie - it all takes place in the Co Council yard in Swords, so you don't have to go on the road until you're ready.

Not sure of the cost of the bronze course as I did the silver star myself recently.

And as a PS to jmck's post, it costs €100 extra to hire the school bike for the silver star - there's a long waiting list though, I booked in August, did the course in early Oct, the bikers who had hired bikes had booked last April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Does anyone have any experience with a guy called David Lyons?

"Easy Rider Training"

http://www.motorbiketraining.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

JCDenton wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with a guy called David Lyons?

"Easy Rider Training"

http://www.motorbiketraining.net
    He's EXCELLENT! Couldn't recommend him enough! He helped me get my Full License and he's a top bloke! Go for it 100%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

used a guy in carlow , he came to kilkenny to me , ger fitz is his name , good entry level training at € 200 for 3, 2 hour sessions, and passed me test !!pm if u want number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 abal

I can recommend www.roadcode.ie
    I am currently taking lessons with Brian. He is very patient. He charges €120 for two hours and will offer discount of €55 per one hour lesson.
    For that he will provide the bikes and all the gear including helmets to suit all sizes. that way you can try before you buy.
    He works out of a compound in Finglus and another in Dundalk, but I know mthat he also covers the test routes in Navan too.

An all round good instructor.:)

Signed: nervouse female student

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I'm taking lessons with Brian in www.roadcode.ie too. I also think he's very good at this game and can highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Better to find someone who is RoSPA certified! Might be cheap but you want the best qualified!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

If you're west of Dublin or Kildare try these guys - ABC Motorcycle Training. They use the leinster driving campus outside maynooth which is a fantastic setup, including lights, roundabout and lots of various junctions to get a feel for the bike in a controlled road environment.

3 hours inc bike hire and use of the facility is €240, training is excellent and well worth it if you are new to biking. I rode a bike 16 years ago, though I knew a bit but to be honest I didn't. As some of teh the others have pointed out, spending the cash on lessons could help save your life and I think no matter how capable you are you will still learn something from an instructor.

I passed the test first time after 3 lessons, not cheap but will worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Is this an advertising board,,, or a board for advise ???

Just get an ADI instructor, listed in: www.rsa.ie and you can see county by county who are registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Just get an ADI instructor, listed in: www.rsa.ie and you can see county by county who are registered.

Ah hello Gay, hows the ould retirement going for you? You're a bit late answering these people - a bit like most of what you do.

Would you ever get Kathleen to play us a tune on her harp and get us all out of this stoopid receshun. Begorrah.

I had a look at your ould website there and its awfully complicated and theres a terrible smell of 'Oh jaysus we're all going to die' in there. Have you no ould list of bike instructors that you'd put on it for simplicity? No, sure I forgot its the RSA - nothing simple there.

Anyway - to answer your question, this is a chatty-chatty-bing-board - we all try and help each other out and on the weekends we have surprize buttsekks. But don't tell anyone.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

You're on fire 'ceptor!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At the point where the RSA introduces realistic standards for testing both new and current licenses is where I will bother checking their site. Until then I happily recommend David Lyons, well worth the money. The guy is a patient genius and the main reason I am still alive.

Only got that gay joke after about two reads. I think I'm getting slow.

That site is a load of ****, you cant even get a list of bike instructors you have to look through a list covering everything.
    Anyway as far as i can tell everyone recommended is on the RSA list, whats the problem?

Heres a list of bike instructors.
    http://www.bikeireland-ie.com/training_.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9 maccarthy_annem

Try the guys at MSA Motorcycle Safety Association as well. Good guys, they run 3 day (6 hour long each day) courses on their bike (or your own if you have one) at approx EUR850 if using theirs - will take you One to One from absolute beginner through to radio control and out on the road. They're recognised Insurance assessors as well and listed on AON and Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 9 maccarthy_annem

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction....A. Einstein
    Do you think anyone there would take a leave out of Albert's book??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction....A. Einstein
    Do you think anyone there would take a leave out of Albert's book??

Is there just a touch of crazy going on here or is it just me?

Advertisement