Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 12 - is it far?

Options
  • 02-11-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Ok a really quick question - Had another job interest from a firm which in their address says Dublin 12?

Is that too far from the centre? As I've said a few times before, I want to be in a busy area as I'm a young single guy and I don't like it too quiet so was just wondering if I took interest in something like that, it's moving too far out from the centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollisterb

Ok so 12 is actually moreless in the centre by the looks of it - I didn't expect that. Thanks!

What does the Tempe Bar area fall under?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Temple Bar is in Dublin 2.
    Depending where in Dublin 12 the company is, it may just be a short bus/LUAS ride away, or not, as the case may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hollisterb- general rule of thumb - odd numbers on northside, even numbers on southside*, lower numbers are usually nearer the centre.

Northside/southside = north/south of the river Liffey, which runs through Dublin.

(*some of Dublin 8 is on northside)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

(*some of Dublin 8 is on northside)

*cringes* sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Only the Phoenix Park is part of the Southside.;)

BTW some of Chapelizod is part of the Northside and that's Dublin 8/20 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

first thing i would do is throw up maps.google.com put in [your address] to [dublin 12]

it thinks o connell street to D12 is about 7km. google ftw.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=O'Connell+St,+Republic+of+Ireland&daddr=dublin+12,+dublin&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=53.34015,-6.290874&sspn=0.037154,0.076904&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dublin 12 is part of Dublin City Council - if that's of any help to you.

Quick question, where does Grafton Street fall under and is that walking distance to the main things like shops and city centre etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

hollisterb wrote: »
    Quick question, where does Grafton Street fall under and is that walking distance to the main things like shops and city centre etc?

Grafton Street is Dublin 2. It's the main shopping artery on the southside, is pedestrianised and has a large number of high street chain shops, and pubs and restaurants in the immediate area.

If you take O'Connell Bridge as the epicentre of the city, then Grafton Street is a 5/6 minute walk tops from here. Grafton Street connects St Stephen's Green to College Green (Trinity College facade), which is then connected by Westmoreland Street (a few hundred yards long) to O'Connell Bridge.

Henry Street is the northside equivalent; pedestrianised with a large number of high street chains, department stores and a couple indoor shopping centres.

To your original query, is the company in ParkWest by any chance? Dublin 12 is anywhere between a 10 minute and 30 minute trip from the city centre, depending on traffic and mode of transport.

Yes; there are no tangible boundaries to Dublin City Centre. I would personally roughly classify it as north of St Stephen's Green, south of Parnell Square, west of Connolly Station/IFSC, and east of Christ Church/Four Courts.

You could also expand the city centre area to include any area within the two canals/circular roads. In the way you are talking about it, the city centre in a business/commercial sense is probably as I outlined above - parts, but not all of, Dublin 1 & 2.

Ok cool thanks for that - I have an interview tomorrow with a company whose head office is located on Grafton Street, why I asked. A different company. Definitely interested in this - they are offering 40k Euros though and I'm looking for 45-50...I've already let them know this so I guess I have to really sell myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

We are based just across the road from Parkwest and we are Dublin 12..about a 10 minute walk from the Red Cow Luas.

Did we offer you a job :D

IT's a fashion company lol

IT's a fashion company lol

Er no that's not us then....you should see the uniforms we make them wear ;) Certainly no sign of the F(ashion) word there!

Haha - What's it like?

In terms of a place to stay - I want to keep my rent to around 700EUROS a month max

Is that possible and have it walking distance, say to an area like Grafton Street? I guess I would have to look to get a shared rented place maybe?

Haha - What's it like?

In terms of a place to stay - I want to keep my rent to around 700EUROS a month max

Is that possible and have it walking distance, say to an area like Grafton Street? I guess I would have to look to get a shared rented place maybe?

For rent < €700 a month you'll have to share if you would like to be within walking distance of Grafton Street. The city centre, and southside especially, is prime rental territory, and you won't find a place at that price all to yourself. If you do, it's a dogbox/dump, or something is not right.

You might get a studio for that money, but it would probably be on the northside and a tidy walk to Grafton Street.

Daft Results for City Centre Lettings < €700 per month.

Haha - What's it like?

PM'd ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

juvenal wrote: »
    Grafton Street is Dublin 2. It's the main shopping artery on the southside, is pedestrianised and has a large number of high street chain shops, and pubs and restaurants in the immediate area.
    Most of it is pedestrianised but not all. ;)

Advertisement