Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Interprovincial Championship

• 02-11-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what year exactly the last "official" interpro championship was held, it may well have been back in 2000 before the Celtic league started proper. But it got me thinking that it's a shame this historic competition was discontinued and I think it should be brought back in some shape or form.

The Anglo-Welsh cup seems to be able to fit into the season of the Magners League and Guinness Premiership, although being discontinued next season, would this have been a good oppertunity to bring back our very own inter-pro cup competition?

All that would be at stake would be pride - no European Qualification or big prize money - yet! But also a piece of silverware and the title of national champions, and the competition format could be very simple. It could even be only 2 extra games in the season calender.

For example it could be drawn randomley each year to have a once off game in the form of 2 "semi-finals" and then a final in Lansdowne Road for example, which would be a good money spinner for the IRFU and a good match day for the fans and players. Plus if it could attract a big sponsor it could be a good source of income for the IRFU and provinces too...not just with prize money, TV money, sponsorship money, but also with the additional ticket sales etc.

This could be kept seperate from the Magners League and would be an extra competition to have each year and renew old rivalries.

Another format could be a group format, where each team plays home and away, and the winner of the league wins the championship. This would be an additional 6 games per season.

OR this could be done through the Magners League head to heads that happen already, however there is a seperate league table also including these games (they double for both leagues) and have a winner decided that way.

I think the most practical is the Magners / Interpro double table for the inter-pro games, but it would be nice to have it as a seperate cup competition also, simular to how the Welsh and English have the EDF competition.

At present the standings in the inter-provincial championship outright winners is:

Ulster 26
    Leinster 22
    Munster 22
    Connacht 2

It's a close run thing (with the exception of are western cousins) but it's a shame we can't continue this competition and have a trophy and title for it also.

Maybe I'm just suffering from withdrawels and envy that the welsh and GP teams had games this weekend AND an extra competition to win!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Its sounds like a good idea. Odds of it actually happening are pretty slim. It would be nice end of year showcase with good weather/Rugby. Boosting the coffers of the IRFU .

I do have one major problem with it. It will probably be called The Addias Championship. I do not like history being sold off for a cheap buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The IRFU should really instigate this. I mean its a win win situation really(as part of the ML schedule). What will it cost them-the price of a trophy? The money they could make of it with the Leinster-Munster rivalry already rivaling the very biggest club ones in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wouldn't particularly be in favour of a seperate competition. The calendar is reasonably cluttered as is and I think playing each province twice a season is enough as well. It would be nice for it to be recognised as part of the ML season though I guess (I also think Leinster would have won it the previous 3-4 years :D Though probably not this year).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I wouldn't particularly be in favour of a seperate competition. The calendar is reasonably cluttered as is and I think playing each province twice a season is enough as well. It would be nice for it to be recognised as part of the ML season though I guess (I also think Leinster would have won it the previous 3-4 years :D Though probably not this year).

I agree, unless it is done as part of the ML there is simply no space for it in the pro era. A competition within a competition ala the Triple crown is the only realistic option.

Advertisement