Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Surveyor

Options
  • 02-11-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

could anyone recommend a good surveyor to give a report on a house.
    The house is between Letterkenny and Ballybofey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Are you looking for a structural survey or maybe just an inspection for mortgage purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yeah Smashey, it for a structural survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is the structural survey to be used for mortgage purposes or just "piece of mind"?

It's for a house purchase, it for our own benefit and not required by the mortgage provider. I just want a bit of assurance that it wont fall down in a few weeks:D:D But its about 8 years old, so its made it this far.

I understand that surveyors have an insurance guarantee, so if they did miss something they should have seen, then their insurance will cover it. Is that what you mean by piece of mind?

Most if not all surveyors will have PI insurance cover but claiming from it in respect of something that may arise after a survey is carried out is possibly a waste of time unless it was something obvious that was overlooked. Some insurers will not provide retrospective indemnity in situations like this.

Nearest comparison I can think of would be something happening to your car (wheel falls off) 3 months after its gone through the NCT.

If the house is 8 years old it may have been registered under the HomeBond scheme or alternatively there would most likely have been a supervising arcitect/engineer involved during the construction and their PI should cover most structural defects for the first 10 years. You would however have to get your solicitor to establish this from the vendor.

My interpretation of "peace of mind" would be to have the property surveyed by way of a second opinion only (and more often that not without any warranty being implied or given) with the main opinion coming from the methods described above.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say that the "guarantee" provided by surveyors would probably be for new builds only where the surveyor checks the construction at various stages.

well i would hope that the PI ins would not be required, its more just to have a professional opinion on the state of the house, its looks like it was well built and i have no reason to think there is anything wrong, just nice to know for certain.

Advertisement