Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost of living in Dublin - need help

Options
  • 02-11-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Ok another article from me about living in Dublin ;)

It won't go on for much longer, lol - I'm just trying to weight up if the move to Dublin I am considering from London is worth it. I want to do it as I think I need that experience to move away from home and get some of my own experience outside - even though I have lived in USA for 1 year when I was in university, I need to do it again but now from a full time working type of angle.

Ok so basically I wanted to get your views and thoughts with regards to typical salary/expenditure. I'm converting it all to EUROS to make it easier, as that's what is used in Dublin.

So here in London in a typical month, this is my "main" expenditures.

130 EUROS = Transport, Bus/Train monthly pass

540 EUROS = Monthly tax deduction

310 EUROS = Monthly National Insurance

630 EUROS = Monthly rent

60 EUROS = Internet/Phone

So those are my constant monthly expenditures that always stay around the same amount. That comes to -

1670 EUROS

(I havn't included food coz that is minor and fluctuates.)

So based on people living in Dublin right now, what do you make of that? If I came and worked in Dublin, am I looking at something similar on a monthly basis? Tax here in London is a joke.

Obviously if I move to Dublin I'd want to make some savings while also living nicely as quality of life is pretty big for me.

Look forward to your replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Your rent could be anything, depending on your preferences (sharing, own apartment etc) and location. Look it up on www.daft.ie.

Monthly bus+Luas (tram) pass is 98, Luas only is I think 60.
    Useful links:
    www.dublinbus.ie
    www.dart.ie (suburban rail)
    www.luas.ie (light rail/tram)

I pay ca 30 monthly for a 175 minute mobile plan and never use it up. Broadband is another 30-40 for a decent speed. Remember about bills (electricity and gas).

Tax, insurance have to be calculated basing on your salary, you may also need health insurance if it's not covered by your employer, another 50.

But you get the sea and it's worth it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollisterb

How can I calculate my tax/insurance?

I'm expected to be on a salary of roughly 45k Euros

Some dude posted this before but I don't know how to work it out -

"E40-E45k is grand, you'll pay less tax than in London cos there's no council tax. http://www.taxcalc.eu/ will let you know roughly what your after tax income will be."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's not that hard really. you say you're single or not, put in your yearly income and then click show on either yearly or monthly take home pay, ie after tax pay. Allowances and credits can't be known until you're living here. So again, just fill in the basics and you'll get a rought idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Yearly take home pay. (Single)
    Selected Tax year is 2009
    Gross Take Home Pay = € 45000,00
    Tax = € 7596,00
    Take Home Pay after Tax = € 37404,00
    Less PRSI = € 2435,84
    Net take home pay = € 34968,16

You can fiddle a bit with health insurance options (paid by the employer, paid by you, extra insurance) but it won't change much.
    PRSI is pension insurance.

• Advertisement

Damn so compared to London, Dublin isn't far off either it seems

I thought it was just London that scammed us in tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

hollisterb wrote: »
    Damn so compared to London, Dublin isn't far off either it seems

I thought it was just London that scammed us in tax

If you are married, have kids etc then in Ireland you get more generous allowances and benefits, but if you are single, no mortgage and no kids...you get hammered same as at home I'm afraid.

Advertisement