Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will You Be Staying Up?

Options
  • 02-11-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I remember going to sleep listening to Newstalk 106 in 2004, Kerry had it ''wrapped up''.

Bush was president next day.

Asking round my office '' watching with a few drinks '' , trumps the ''meh''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Seriously considering staying up myself to watch the results...although having two 1 year olds in the house means I haven't actually slept more than 5/6 hours a night in over a year...I will fall asleep if I try to stay awake watching it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Estella wrote: »
    I remember going to sleep listening to Newstalk 106 in 2004, Kerry had it ''wrapped up''.

Asking round my office '' watching with a few drinks '' , trumps the ''meh''

I prefer to face grim news after a full nights sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Will be up doing an essay possibly, so might have coverage on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well I for one will defo be up watching it ... having watched every primary results coverage and every live debate , i sure as certain won't be missing the live coverage of the Presidential Results :pac:

*puts coffee on the shopping list for tommorrow*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Estella

1 am Irish time, is when we can expect the first results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm a news junkie and love this kind of thing. Getting the results the next day just isn't the same. I wouldn't able to sleep anyway. This election has been so entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I am staying up but I stay up to 7am most nights anyway so it's not exactly a struggle for me but like SP I love these sort of days. Nothing like a close election although I fear when the US networks start calling results everything will be known pretty much straight away and it will be a bit of letdown.
    But you never know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'll be stocking up on the Red Bull to keep me awake.
    Should be fun!

(I seriously need to get a life! lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I think I probably will stay up to watch the results come in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Me too, can't wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Estella wrote: »

Same thing happened me. I had school the next day, stayed up until about 1 or 2 when RTE told me Kerry had it. I woke up and Bush had it.

This time I'll be staying up, and hoping/praying for an Obama victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,913 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm working lates this week (3pm to 11pm) so i'll probably stay up to 3 or so and see what the results are looking like. Play some fallout with the results on PiP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Was in a car crash a week ago and will be stuck inside for a while. Although I wouldnt usually do it, Tuesday night might end up being more interesting than what I do during the day!! We will see how long I can resist the drowsiness of the painkillers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

what time are the final results in at? Ill set my alarm, cant stay up all night, need to go to work in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

The west coast states close at 4am our time so have to give them a few hours although if by that stage it's known say Obama has won Ohio and Pennsylvania, we will know he has won anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Luckily/unluckily I'm working nights, so I will be able to keep up to date. Hope its a good one. (with the right result:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'll try stay up. I'll probably be knackered after work and have to be up in the morning but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

I wouldn't miss this for the world!
    Yes, I've an incredibly busy and stressul day after, but it's just one of those sacrificed that you have got to make.

As Sad Professor said, it has been so entertaining, and it would be wrong to follow it so long, only to head to sleep and miss all the action. :)

Another reason is, could we ever get another unusual mix in the race for the seat? I think, now that times are changing, yes, but I won't take that chance. I must experience this first hand! :D

On another note, how will you all be watching?

I'll probably have to use Sky News on TV, as I only have Cable, and probably won't be using the internet. Do BBC have coverage?

Roll on Election 08!

BBC 1 from midnight to 5/6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Been looking forward to this for so long.

I have my:
    Red Bull
    Heiniken
    Doritos
    Salsa dip for said Doritos
    Obama tshirt

etc.

Ludo wrote: »
    BBC 1 from midnight to 5/6am

Many Thanks Ludo.
    I feel that this would probably be the best coverage, as I don't think others would be as comprehensive or enjoyable.

However, Sky News have not been too bad, from what I've seen.
    banquo wrote: »
    Been looking forward to this for so long.

I have my:
    Red Bull
    Heiniken
    Doritos
    Salsa dip for said Doritos
    Obama tshirt

etc.

Oh nice!

I'll be having tea and popcorn. Addicted to both equally.
    Oh, and I'll be on the edge of my seat of course.

Is it me, or are there no polls on the Politics forum now which we can vote on, to see how we'd vote if we could?

Thought something like this would be up by now.

All Excerpts taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=650

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
    POLITICAL: Prime Time Special: America Decides
    On: RTÉ 1
    Date: Wednesday 5th November 2008 (starting in 1 day)
    Time: 00:05 to 03:00 (2 hours and 55 minutes long)

Live results coverage of the American Presidential Election with Mark Little in Washington and John Bowman in studio in Dublin.

POLITICAL: U.S. Presidential Election
    On: RTÉ 1
    Date: Wednesday 5th November 2008 (starting in 1 day)
    Time: 03:00 to 07:00 (4 hours long)

Live results coverage of the American Presidential Election continues from US network CBS.

POLITICAL: US Election Night 2008
    On: BBC 1 Northern Ireland (101)
    Date: Tuesday 4th November 2008 (starting in 1 day)
    Time: 23:45 to 06:00 (6 hours and 15 minutes long)

David Dimbleby presents all of the action from Washington as America votes for its new President, with Matt Frei in the studio and reporters in key swing states across the country. Jeremy Vine will be in a virtual reality studio to analyse the figures, using the latest touchscreen graphics to show who is winning the race to the White House. And Laura Kuenssberg will be at Times Square in New York, working with the BBC Online operation to report the news as it breaks in the blogosphere.

POLITICAL: Election Night Live: America Decides
    On: UTV (103)
    Date: Tuesday 4th November 2008 (starting in 1 day)
    Time: 23:45 to 06:00 (6 hours and 15 minutes long)

Live coverage of the US Election result as it happens, as Barack Obama and John McCain discover which of them will be taking up residence in the White House for the next term of office. From the pastor who inspired Obama to the man who has been advising McCain, ITV will be talking live to those who are close to the two candidates, and hearing from politicians and pundits about what the new President will mean for the world. Presented by Alastair Stewart in London, Julie Etchingham in New York and Mark Austin in Washington, with all the latest results as they are announced.

Plus wall to wall coverage on Sky News, BBC News 24, Fox News, CNN.

Great find Ludo! Thanks! :)

Now... Choices, Choices, Choices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

For anyone without a TV, I recommend downloading LiveStation. It's streamed channels (legally, as far as I know) - so you can flick between CNN, BBC, France 24, Al-Jazeera etc. The quality is good, too.

I think I'll go to the shop and stop up tomorrow with beer, wine, coffee, crisps etc.

Looking forward to this now. I just hope John McCain doesn't piss on my parade :p

Tom65 wrote: »
    For anyone without a TV, I recommend downloading LiveStation. It's streamed channels (legally, as far as I know) - so you can flick between CNN, BBC, France 24, Al-Jazeera etc. The quality is good, too.

I think I'll go to the shop and stop up tomorrow with beer, wine, coffee, crisps etc.

Looking forward to this now. I just hope John McCain doesn't piss on my parade :p
    Thanks for the tip, Tom65. Downloading it now.
    I have seen many, many different types of software like this.

Yeah, will head out to get more stuff myself. Hopefully my other half will join me, or some friends, as it's probably not the same without a nice debate! :)

One trend I am noticing though... Beer and Wine is apparently on a lot of lists for tomorrow nights viewing. Hmm... Might have to change my original plan of Tea and Popcorn! ;)

Good idea though. If my choice doesn't get in, I can drink to excess, then parade the streets causing trouble and moaning loudly! :D

(Not really, apart from the drinking to excess if we lose, or the loud moaning! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

With A House Full of Americans I have absolutely no choice. The house will be full of American beer(O GOD!) Corndogs, Buffalo wings, popcorn, Oreos and muffins. They have all voted early(including my significant other) so hopefully it will be fun.

We will have an idea of the result pretty soon after midnight. Virginia and Indiana voting closes at midnight and the exit polls will come out straight away. They are 2 swing states so fingers crossed it will be done and dusted by 3.00 a.m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Luckily/unluckily I'm working nights, so I will be able to keep up to date. Hope its a good one. (with the right result:D)
    You mean a McCain victory??? :D

I haven't decided if I'll stay up or not... if I do then I can write off the next day collegework-wise :(

If I do then maybe I'll watch Fox and see if it actually SHOWS Sean Hannity cutting his wrists if Obama wins...........

Did someone mention the Daily Show covering the results...? It was mentioned in another thread I think.

Failing that, it'll probably be BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Have some boozy festivities planned for this myself. Must get some American goodies to finish it off - hotdogs, Doritos etc. How exciting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I wish I had stocked up for this. I have no beer in the house :/ Where can I catch live coverage on the interweb?

EDIT: I just found a pack of liquer sweets my sister brought back from Spain nyom nyom nyom!

Advertisement