Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with my VW Golf

Options
  • 02-11-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

:rolleyes:Has anyone had problems starting their VW golf? it just wont turn on for me, think its the starter.. any ideas how much it will cost to repair and why oh why does everything go wrong with my car its only 5years old..had so much trouble with it in the last year and a half that ive owned it! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What do you mean by "won't turn on"?

Does it make any attempt to start? Does the starter turn over? What lights, if any, are on the dash during the starting process?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭0141607

No it makes no attempt to start, just grinds, doesnt chug or anything, cannot start the engine at all, battery and all is fine. All normal lights come on the dash, the epc & oil lamp dont go off cause the engine doesnt start (normally they do once i start engine)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

sounds like the solenoid in the starter motor. its €50 part plus labour afaik

Great thanks kat cookie.. i have a mechanic coming tomorrow so hopefully he will figure it out.. damn car for breaking out side my door :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

0141607 wrote: »
    No it makes no attempt to start, just grinds, doesnt chug or anything, cannot start the engine at all, battery and all is fine. All normal lights come on the dash, the epc & oil lamp dont go off cause the engine doesnt start (normally they do once i start engine)
    Grinding? Could be the teeth on the fly wheel!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plug wrote: »
    Grinding? Could be the teeth on the fly wheel!:eek:

Exactly what I was thinking and it wouldn't be the first time I've come across this on a VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If it's the starter motor, there's a lad in Limerick who refurbishes them for about 40 odd euro, if you hand it into him. Reminds me to get mine done, tis on the way out lol.

Turns out there was fuel in the plugs.. or something along those lines..took them out and they were drowned so dryed them all off..figure its something to do with the weather and it being so cold that the engine got confused and flooded itself. Anywho its fixed TG!! dont think ill ever buy VW again though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

OP - just reading your posts there, and the explaination for the plugs being wet, doesn't really make sence. Anyway, weather should not make a blind bit of difference to the way your car operates, unless there are more underlying problems.
    Regardless of what happened, you also said that the car gave you a lot of trouble in the past year and a half.
    This happens to everyone in their motoring life i think, that is, that you just got a lemmon of a car. It has happened to me before, and will probally happen again.
    It seems that when things go wrong with VW's that are made in the last 10 years, they go really wrong.
    If thing after thing, no matter how your mechanic can explain the reason, keeps going wrong, just bite the bullet, trade it in and change your car.
    Unfortunately, in this financial climate, it will cost you to change. But what would you prefer, a car that you have no faith in or a car that will start and get you to work on time?
    Decision time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Turns out there was fuel in the plugs.. or something along those lines..took them out and they were drowned so dryed them all off..figure its something to do with the weather and it being so cold that the engine got confused and flooded itself. Anywho its fixed TG!! dont think ill ever buy VW again though :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Gimme a shout tomorrow when the problem happens again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

had one myself and caused all sorts of problems. Oil gauge, fuel gauge, temp gauge reading wrong. Oh and the rearlight bulb going every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Buy a ford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

tech2 wrote: »
    had one myself and caused all sorts of problems. Oil gauge, fuel gauge, temp gauge reading wrong. Oh and the rearlight bulb going every now and again.

the gf has a golf and there is never a full set of working lights on the back of that car no matter hao many times we replace the bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Martron wrote: »
    the gf has a golf and there is never a full set of working lights on the back of that car no matter hao many times we replace the bulbs

There's obviously some sort of short circuit or wiring problem then.

So far so good..no problems since..but guess i will end up eating my words soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Neanderthal boy

Martron wrote: »

Try not slamming the boot door closed. It causes a lot of blown bulbs on many different makes of car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

That is the most technical explanation I've ever read on boards.
    By the way it always seems to be the left hand rear bulbs that blow on golfs first.

Advertisement