Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sale - Is he going to be scammed

Options
  • 03-11-2008 12:13am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    My Dad is selling his van, its advertised in a number of places and there yesterday he got a call.

He is not sure of the accent, maybe Polish or Russian, "That region" so he says, with no insult to anyone on here inteneded.

The guy who rang said he was from Cork (we are in Mayo), he asked about the van, Dad told him details, price mileage, said that the DOE was due this month etc.

The guy told that he was very interested, not worried about DOE as it was for export and that he would travel to buy next weekend for cash.

The van is a 1998 hi-ace, its advertised for about 1400 euro, but does anyone think that sounds a long way to travel for a van at that price?

Fair enough maybe a new or rare motor for 10/20/30 k euro, but for 1400 spots?????? I am not sure what to think. There are so many scams out there something worries me about this.

Any opinions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

AS LONG AS HE IS PAYING CASH I WOULDNT WORRY TOO MUCH

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Meet in a well populated area, not your house, make sure the cash is real....i'd say let it off and don't worry....I can't see where the scam would be.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if he is paying cash, make sure you count it and check its real.
    otherwise meet at the local bank and lodge the money into your account then give them the keys.

scam or not, he is buying your car so if he does anything with it afterwards its not your fault.

make sure you fill out the change of ownership form and post it yourself, dont give it to him because he may never fill it out and the van will still be in your dads name.

as for the travelling, maybe theres no other vams in that pricerange.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks guys ( u feckers no beds to go to ;) )

You know yourself, no one wants their Dad scammed. I will meet this guy and do the deal for him I think. I will check the money.

Out of interest, why do u say not to meet at the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A lot of Poles and Russians I know would think twice about travelling hundreds of miles to buy a car or van but like the others said don't meet them at home and make sure it's real money, the same goes for any nationality including the Irish.;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

With regard to people exporting cars i wouldn't worry to much. People export our junk on a regular basis. One mans rubbish and all that... But i can understand you being worried about the situation. I've heard of all sorts of exports. One person i was working with was exporting old Scania lorries to Zanzibar and converting them to Buses. He was making an absolute fortune on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

yop wrote: »
    Guys,
    My Dad is selling his van, its advertised in a number of places and there yesterday he got a call.

He is not sure of the accent, maybe Polish or Russian, "That region" so he says, with no insult to anyone on here inteneded.

The guy who rang said he was from Cork (we are in Mayo), he asked about the van, Dad told him details, price mileage, said that the DOE was due this month etc.

The guy told that he was very interested, not worried about DOE as it was for export and that he would travel to buy next weekend for cash.

The van is a 1998 hi-ace, its advertised for about 1400 euro, but does anyone think that sounds a long way to travel for a van at that price?

Fair enough maybe a new or rare motor for 10/20/30 k euro, but for 1400 spots?????? I am not sure what to think. There are so many scams out there something worries me about this.

Any opinions?
    Thanks

just check the guys phone number, there is a scam going on at the min , the day there supposed to travel to collect car, you get a missed call looking for direction, as soon as you ring back the number is routed to a premium line. once you ring it may cost up to 100 e or more regardless of how long your on. just make sure they do all the calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

yop wrote: »
    Thanks guys ( u feckers no beds to go to ;) )

You know yourself, no one wants their Dad scammed. I will meet this guy and do the deal for him I think. I will check the money.

Out of interest, why do u say not to meet at the house?

your local garage is the best place to sell your car...

people know the places location, can have anything looked at and sure you dont own the land, wait outside it...

either their or the local gardi station parking area always works a treat. :cool:
    kikel wrote: »
    With regard to people exporting cars i wouldn't worry to much. People export our junk on a regular basis. One mans rubbish and all that... But i can understand you being worried about the situation. I've heard of all sorts of exports. One person i was working with was exporting old Scania lorries to Zanzibar and converting them to Buses. He was making an absolute fortune on the side.

Yes, i heard that and a mate was buying Heeps and i mean Heeps of vans/car vans/ jeeps etc and exporting them himself...

and jesus, when they got to india he made an absolute Mint on ex plastering 88 nearly dead hiaces and the likes...

but haven said that, they got a new home, they'll be soon a classic and exported home
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've sold my last two cars to eastern europeans, the last one to a pole and the one before to an estonian, both turned up with cash in their pockets and left with the car, no hassle at all. I also sold a car for my brother who had moved abroad, this time to a ukrainian who paid with a bank draft (it was significantly more money than my own two) and again no hassle but I did get him to ring me with the serial number of the bank draft so I could check it out with the bank before they came back to collect the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it could be legit, but best not to take any chances and DON'T take chances with the cash, it's distinctly possible that fake notes will be so good that you can't tell. get the cashed lodged into the bank with him there and once it's acepted by the bank then give him the keys and postoff the change of ownership yourself.

do that and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

audismelly wrote: »
    just check the guys phone number, there is a scam going on at the min , the day there supposed to travel to collect car, you get a missed call looking for direction, as soon as you ring back the number is routed to a premium line. once you ring it may cost up to 100 e or more regardless of how long your on. just make sure they do all the calling.

When you set up call forwarding/divert on a phone you pay for the service, and the cost of the forwarded call. The caller just pays for the original call. As long as the number you were calling back was a legitimate mobile/irish landline number, the scam you've described would cost the scammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

junkyard wrote: »
    including the Irish.;)

Especially the Irish! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

vibe666 wrote: »
    it could be legit, but best not to take any chances and DON'T take chances with the cash, it's distinctly possible that fake notes will be so good that you can't tell. get the cashed lodged into the bank with him there and once it's acepted by the bank then give him the keys and postoff the change of ownership yourself.

do that and you'll be grand.

Decent advice. Re. the advice about not meeting him at your home, bear in mind that good advice often given to anyone buying a used car is to meet the seller at their home - so you may need to compromise!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Redderneck wrote: »
    Decent advice. Re. the advice about not meeting him at your home, bear in mind that good advice often given to anyone buying a used car is to meet the seller at their home - so you may need to compromise!

I was just thinking about that. I wouldn't buy a 10 year old Hiace from someone who wouldn't let me see where they lived. It would sound very suspect to me.

EDIT: We'll probably see an Eastern European posting tomorrow about the guy selling him a Hiace from a carpark and wondering if he's getting scammed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

phutyle wrote: »
    When you set up call forwarding/divert on a phone you pay for the service, and the cost of the forwarded call. The caller just pays for the original call. As long as the number you were calling back was a legitimate mobile/irish landline number, the scam you've described would cost the scammer.

the problem was it was 704 number or 0704 ,it was english number, when i googled it , it was routed to a premium number, as soon as i told guy i wudnt be ringing his number under any circumstances he didnt cum see the car. he claimed to be based in northern ireland, and had to buy it for his family fast, and agreed a price without viewing the car:D . his english was very bad at start of converstation and by the end it was better than perfect.all through mail

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

javaboy wrote: »
    I was just thinking about that. I wouldn't buy a 10 year old Hiace from someone who wouldn't let me see where they lived. It would sound very suspect to me.

EDIT: We'll probably see an Eastern European posting tomorrow about the guy selling him a Hiace from a carpark and wondering if he's getting scammed! ;)
    LOL, smart *ss ;)

That would be funny for sure :)

Advertisement