Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Lessons at the Royal Irish Academy Of Music

Options
  • 03-11-2008 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anyone know if there are cello lessons for beginners that are 16 and over at the Irish academy of music?
    I went there ages ago to learn violin but they said I was too old and they only give beginner lessons (for violin, anyway) to 12 year olds and under, and that if I wanted to join, I'd have to be at an intermediate level. :/ Do you think it's the same for all instruments?
    :confused:;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

The Academy have the elitist attitude that says you're no use unless you start young and from what I've heard generally refuse admission to anyone over the age of 12 who is either a beginner or too advanced. Go to the DIT Conservatory of Music. They may not have any places for cello at the moment, but they're more likely to give you a place than the RIAM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

*insert rant about elitist ******s here*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

As an examiner for the RIAM, and as someone who studied there years ago, its fair to say that unless you are a very young beginner (i.e. 6 years old or thereabouts), you're not going to stand a chance getting lessons in there. Even if you were a brilliantly gifted older student (in your 20s or 30s) at a very high level, and you auditioned for part-time tuition, you would still more than likely not get a place, because you don't fit the "child genius conservatoire" stereotype. This is not a rant, its just a fact. The only other way you stand a chance is if you know one of the string faculty on a personal level, and even then this would not be as effective as you would imagine, if you are a beginner.

Advice, look for a really good teacher who will work with you to get you up to a decent standard and then apply to study elsewhere for part-time tuition, if you find a good teacher, stick with him/her! It still boils down to an hour a week of tuition, at least you won't be another "customer" on the conveyor belt so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Interesting post Pianist 2891. Where does that RIAm ethos come from. It is explicitly their mission, has it always been, or is it the style of current management? Would have thought they were interested in the promotion of music play full stop and welcome allcomers, especially talented ones. Are they not open to age discrimination claims if what you say is true, now that such biases are explicitly forbidden in law?

Sandwich wrote:
    Where does that RIAm ethos come from. It is explicitly their mission, has it always been, or is it the style of current management? Would have thought they were interested in the promotion of music play full stop and welcome allcomers, especially talented ones. Are they not open to age discrimination claims if what you say is true, now that such biases are explicitly forbidden in law?

Don't want to get banned replying to this, but i'll try and be as diplomatic and politically correct as possible! (ugh).

It is explicititly their mission, as it is the mission of nearly any classical music conservatoire worldwide (esp. with instrumental tuition).

Newcomers, adult beginners etc are never welcomed, its just sad but true. In fact, the Head of Faculty when I was a student there specifically told me "NEVER" to teach adult beginners, needless to say I specialized in working with those (more info on my website about the end results!!).

Nobody can prove its age discrimination, RIAM will audition all prospective students, and they will simply say the audition wasn't of a high enough standard!!!

Its far too complicated to elaborate here, but yes, its unfair and ridiculous and pointless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Pianist: I'm not sure that that's strictly true. They'll take anyone in who has a prospect of becoming a professional classical musician. I'm certain I failed both my auditions because I became a bundle of nerves. (Always more of a problem for me in auditions than in concerts, but that's for another day...)

I admit it's rare that they'll take on a talented adult, but it's not completely unheard of - I have a couple of friends who got places.

No, I think you misinterpreted the original question, they might take on a talented adult, but never an adult beginner (ie an adult with NO prior musical training, including inability to read music)

The original post clearly states "Does anyone know if there are cello lessons for beginners that are 16 and over at the Irish academy of music?"

Beginners over 16 will simply not be admitted, while I can't set that in stone, any of the heads of faculty will probably be able to back that up. Reason being there are simply too many non-beginners who are also looking for part time tuition, and as is the case, an "academy of music" or "conservatory" usually implies that the only "Beginners" are young children. The rest of the student body is composed of those at various levels of proficiency.

That said, there are no shortage of competant cello teachers for adult beginners - just visit www.learnmusic.info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I auditioned for the RIAM at 16 as quite a high standard pianist, and didn't get accepted. I felt that it was my age, and the fact that I wasn't heading for concert pianist, as opposed to my performance. I would agree with pianist2891 on all points made.
    I took up the violin this year (I'm 26). My teacher is great, though I had to do a bit of research.Mainly to find someone who had free lesson times.It's a bit easier for me because I can read music etc etc, so it's all about working on the technique of playing the instrument. But I know she has people who are older than me and are complete beginners to music.
    Anyway what i'm trying to say is shop around. There are a lot of small music schools in Dublin. ( I'm not including Waltons school of music in that btw, I think they are very expensive for lessons). Use the internet, and ring around. DIT would be good if you can get into it but they tend to be very busy. I'm not sure what side of the city you're on but there is a good teacher in Malahide for cello.Also the clontarf school of music (not sure if they do cello) and the Abbey school of music. Some websites have lists of private teachers too, I found a lot on the learnmusic website too. Also if a teacher can't take you, ask them would they know anyone who can. Often they'll know other teachers in the area who's names wouldn't be listed anywhere, it's more word of mouth.You could try the RIAm, but I don't think it's worth your while, tbh.
    Good Luck!!

Advertisement