Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a pistol licence Dungarvan

Options
  • 03-11-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone ever been able to get a pistol licence from dungarvan (Waterford), I will be trying to get a pistol licence for a glock 17, I'll be getting the gunsafe, joining the shooting club in Waterford and doing the NRI course, I am 24 which will probably go against me? I had a shotgun licence for a while but not anymore. I just want to know has anyone been successful in getting a pistol licence from the dungarvan FO and is there anything else I should do to improve my chances of getting one, Thanks!!!

P.S. Does anyone know who the FO is in dungarvan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Garda Anne Sweeney is the FO for Dungarvan since Ollie retired a few weeks ago. Not heard of anyone licensing a pistol around town yet, sure all you can do is apply.

I'm still waiting to hear about my application to license my brothers .22 rifle since he died last year. Seems there were a pile of variations to licenses this year and the system is backed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭akira336

Thanks Musashi, All I can do is apply and see how it goes, it'll just be a kick in the you know whats if I spend all that money and get told NO! (power of positive thinkin) I will get the licence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Hi Guys, just wondering has anyone ever been able to get a pistol licence from dungarvan (Waterford), I will be trying to get a pistol licence for a glock 17, I'll be getting the gunsafe, joining the shooting club in Waterford and doing the NRI course, I am 24 which will probably go against me? I had a shotgun licence for a while but not anymore. I just want to know has anyone been successful in getting a pistol licence from the dungarvan FO and is there anything else I should do to improve my chances of getting one, Thanks!!!

I know of 3 pistol owners around the dungarvan area so id say there shouldnt be a bother with your application, can you pm me some details about the pistol club in waterford please man i didnt know there was one around these parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Could you PM me also

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

me too please
    havent heard of a pistol club around waterford :confused:

ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Check out the Irish Times posts.There is the posting about how many are issued in that area.Seems to be the least "shall issue" area in the survey.
    Still dont let that put you off.The more applications you put in in an area,the more realisation that there are folks out there who want them,equals a chance of somone starting to build a firing range in your area.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

We also have John Deasy in our area.

Looks like he's trying to make an issue out of nothing here, like the "War on Knoives" in the UK. :rolleyes:

Its around mullinavat, its called Bishops Mountain, I'm not sure how far gone it is because the website's pistol section is still under construction? Thanks for that about the Irish times post Grizzly, I will try, hopefully I get it, and whats this about John Deasy, Is he kicking up a fuss about fire arms now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

akira336 wrote: »
    .............and whats this about John Deasy, Is he kicking up a fuss about fire arms now?

Pistols only it seems must reckon there's a few votes in it :D

Pistols only it seems must reckon there's a few votes in it :D
    He won't be getting my vote then!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

john.deasy@oireachtas.ie

Please email him so he knows it could affect him locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or the FG party nationally.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

He's been on the local radio today as well!
    I'll try to find an archive of the show.

Figures show big inconsistencies in handgun licensing

CONOR LALLY and HARRY McGEE

MAJOR inconsistencies around the granting of handgun licences across the State have emerged in new figures obtained from the Department of Justice by Fine Gael TD John Deasy.

Some Garda districts have granted no licences for handguns while others in more sparsely populated areas have been much more liberal, issuing between 50 and 100 licences per year.

The data also indicates that the number of handgun licences issued by the Garda is expected to exceed 2,000 for the first time next year.

Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern has responded to the figures by saying that a review of firearms legislation that is being carried out by his officials is almost complete.

Mr Deasy pointed out that in Wexford 108 licences were issued last year. However, in the same period, no licences or very few licences were issued at stations in some of the most populated parts of the country.

"These trends indicate that there are massive inconsistencies as regards licensing and handing out these guns to members of the public.

"Some [Garda districts] seem to be very liberal when it comes to licensing, whereas other districts are very tight."

The inconsistencies proved current firearms legislation was ambiguous and that new, clearer laws were urgently needed.

Mr Deasy was also concerned at the number of handguns now in circulation at a time when gun crime and the murder rate was climbing.

"We shouldn't be liberalising procedures around gun licences when the murder rate is climbing. That just doesn't add up. I lived in the United States and know the damage they have caused there," he said.

The figures were issued to Mr Deasy in response to a series of written Dáil questions he tabled in July.

The data reveals the number of handgun licences issued was 323 in the 12 months ended July 31st, 2005. That increased steadily over the next two years before reaching 1,863 in the 12-month period to July 31st 2008.

The number of handgun licences granted has increased exponentially since 2004 when the High Court overturned a 30-year-old "temporary custody order" banning the licences.

The total number of firearms licences issued, for all gun types, reached 233,934 in the 12-month period to July 31st last. This figure has grown steadily from 215,856 in 2004.

In July, Justice Peter Charleton said that there was "a pressing need" for drawing together into a clear law the multiple "piecemeal" rules on the control of handguns here.

He said reasonable people were "entitled to feel alarmed" about a large increase in the number of pistols licensed for private use in Ireland in recent years.

He described as "undesirable" the "piecemeal spreading" of the statutory rules for the control of firearms over multiple pieces of legislation - five firearms Acts and the 2006 Criminal Justice Act.

Codification of these laws on control of firearms was almost as pressing a need as codification of the laws in the area of sexual violence, he stressed.

Mr Justice Charleton made his comments during a High Court hearing in which a man was challenging the Garda's refusal to grant him a gun licence.

At the time, the Minister said that he would bring legislative proposals to Cabinet in the autumn.

To date, this has not happened.

© 2008 The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Never vote blue...... :rolleyes:

Its a disgrace the stupidity of some of our reps,
    He said reasonable people were "entitled to feel alarmed" about a large increase in the number of pistols licensed for private use in Ireland in recent years.

how they ever got elected i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Bless the Irish Times and it's anti firearms slant! I do find it lines the litterbox for my cat rather well though. If you are refused a licence, ask for a reason, in writing. Doing all that you are doing, and if you are a temperate type of person (not given to acting the maggot when you have a few pints on you,) or generally are seen to be a law abiding person, there should be no good reason to refuse you. Join a club and if they have club guns use them in competitions to get your scorecards up and running ASAP. You can use these to prove that you are a bonafide target shooter; as only having had a shotgun before they'll be wondering why the jump from shotgunning to a pistol. Good luck.

Advertisement