Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why oh why are movies from books always c*@p?

Options
  • 03-11-2008 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

<rant>
    I just watched the order film. I've been avoiding watching it because goblet was such a disappointment. But I watched it yesterday.

I was right to not watch it.

Why, oh why do they always completely bugger the translations up? Who writes the scripts, and can I kill them?

Watching it I realised what was done (same as goblet), if the book was made up of 'hills' for each point in the story. The film is made up of the peaks of the biggest hills. Which means the story is skipped.
    There was almost more content on the back cover of the paper back than the film. As for the Dumbledore actor. Did you know that he never read the books so has no idea of the character he is playing. Which goes a long way to explain why he always seems so aggressive.
    </rant>
    sorry had to get that off my chest :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I know it was really disappointing, the fact that Dobby has been left out as one of the main characters annoyed me, and apparently Rowling had to insist Kreacher was in the fifth film because he becomes such an important player in the 7th book.

They can only put so much in at the end of the day! Hopefully because the 7th film is being made into 2 films rather than 1, there will be a lot more to it and it will be a lot better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I think they did as good a job as they possibly could with Order of the Phoenix in the medium known as film. If they included the entire book, the movie might be 4 to 6 hours long. If you don't like it, you can just stick to reading the books.

I thought the liberties they took with Prisoner of Askaban worked quite well. It made the first two movies pretty bland in comparison. I read somewhere that JK wanted Terry Gillingham to direct the first movie if not all of them but the studios balked at that idea. I think the movies would've been very interesting with him at the helm although I can understand that a studio exec would probably break out in hives at the thought of Terry Gillingham directing a multi-billion dollar franchise such as HP.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

For God's sake,the book and films are two different entities. If you put everything in OoTP into the film it would be at least 6 hours long. It's a film based on the book, no a direct translation from book to screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think what really took the biscuit for me in the Goblet of Fire film was the way they did the tasks. I mean, I understand that you have to cut things out, film is a different medium and so on - so why add in random stuff that doesn't really work? For example, WHY did the dragon during the first task break its chain and chase Harry all over the place? What did that add to the film? You can't even say it was a thrilling scene, it was really stupid - the bit on the roof where the dragon is scrabbling across the roof to get at Harry as Harry tries to get his broom, it doesn't seem to occur to the dragon that it can fly over to him. ARRGHH! And as for the maze, correct me I'm wrong but I seem to remember that in the film there weren't any creatures in the maze? You'd think they could have done something more interesting than that, considering how much stuff was in the maze in the book

• Advertisement
Advertisement