Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mods .... Idea for new thread

• 03-11-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Hi mods
    Like to put an idea for a new thread (maybe have been discussed before, if so forgive me ) , After what happen in the Spurs v Liverpool match thread and other threads . Where fans have been joining the thread having a go and a laugh at other teams performances/ results and de-railing the thread. Now some posters find this funny and maybe we they are childish etc etc , But banter and wine-ups between Fans is part of football IMO, God if you could not have a laugh , joke or poke fun at work mates on a Monday morning after a weekend games it would just be wrong.

Anyway why not set up a humour/ battle zone thread where fans could post jokes and have a pop at rivals results etc etc . A place where the more childish of us them can post and share a good joke without been banned :D
    God knows there are some crackers going the rounds
    Also
    Posters will know what the thread is about and will not have to enter if its not their style.

Think it would also free up the other threads and even help ye mods , Posting anything outside this thread leads to a ban etc etc.

Posted here instead of PM so we could see if their was any support for the idea

Humour/Battlezone Thread 29 votes

Good idea , thread is needed
    0%
    Idea sucks ,get back under our rock
    58%
    ChongKingp35scargillMr.Nice Guyrorycfred funk }{eZe^CharlieOPENROADhiscanFrisbeeROCKMANcurry-muffShoulderChipGelioQuazzienewballsplease 17 votes
    Don't care,
    41%
    VokeszAbbo_blank_Juan PablocopaceticstovelidLuckyLloydXavi6leninbenjaminEirebearIm_No_Supermanibh 12 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

In before the lock :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

CHD wrote: »
    In before the lock :pac:

why will this be locked , has it been discussed before ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    why will this be locked , has it been discussed before ,
    No idea tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Stick up a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I think its a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't care,
    While I don't agree with an all out slagging match, this place is a little too reserved for my liking most of the time. It would be nice if you could let off steam without the threat of a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Pretty much what Xavi said.
    While the rules here are good because they stop the muppets trying to start flame wars or trolling, thay can be a little to strict for the more regular users to have some banter with each other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Don't care,
    as far as i remember ideas like this have been mooted before and rejected because there's just far too much potential for it to spill over to the other threads.

ordinarily i'd be in favour of something like this myself, but having seen how seriously some people take any jibe at their team no matter how slight i think it's safe to say this would not work well in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Totally agree, its no fun being serious all of the time, let the child out in a separate thread so you can resist it in serious ones:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Don't care,
    ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Agreed 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't care,
    If you want to call fans of other clubs ***** and tell them that they are **** and will never win the league every time they lose or draw a game, pretty much every other soccer forum on the internet is a place you will feel comfortable in.

Yes, this forum is more heavily regulated and there is a (relatively) more elevated level of discourse. But is that not the primary attraction of being here?

As such, I'm voting against the idea and I probably won't contribute in it if it does materialize.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you want to call fans of other clubs ***** and tell them that they are ****

Wouldnt agree with people calling each other ****ers or the like.
    More along the lines of banter and jokes...

Don't care,
    I don't agree with personal attacks on other posters etc but it really is very hard to refrain from calling <insert player> a dirty cheating cunt if he goes down quicker than a cheap whore.

Don't care,
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't agree with personal attacks on other posters etc but it really is very hard to refrain from calling <insert player> a dirty cheating cunt if he goes down quicker than a cheap whore.

If my friend is to be believed cheap whores dont go down all that quickly....you get what you pay for and all that! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Agreed. I think people should be able to express freely what the majority of us know and think. For instance, I recently heard that someone was banned for calling a certain Footballing president/official, a wanker. Now I know most football fans would agree with that, or at least see the justification behind the label, but yet we are forbidden from expressing such.

For example, i've been pulled up for referring to Mike Ashley as fat when giving out about his running of my club. Now, I know that arbitrary personal insults shouldn't be allowed, but a bit of common sense would see that, being a long suffering Newcastle fan, calling Mike Ashley fat is modest by what most Toon fans think of the chap. If I ff'd and blinded the chap, I don't think many posters would complain, as they know the background and context its in. Yet this would be a big no no.

Don't care,
    I think there is a certain facor on this forum that is what makes it a great forum and also what makes it a frustrating forum as has been pointed out above.

But i dont think a no holds barred thread is the answer in all honesty.

Peoples attitudes do need to change to a certain extent though, its a football forum, its the internet.
    What people say on here doesnt really matter in any of our lives at the end of the day, lighten up a bit.
    So what if someone says your team are ****....football is all about opinions, if it wasnt...we wouldnt be here talking about it.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Peoples attitudes do need to change to a certain extent though, its a football forum, its the internet.
    What people say on here doesnt really matter in any of our lives at the end of the day, lighten up a bit.
    So what if someone says your team are ****....football is all about opinions, if it wasnt...we wouldnt be here talking about it.

What!!!

serious.jpg

Don't care,
    Link FAIL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think the idea has merit. I was amazed some fans in that other thread were talking about 'trolling', presumably in reference to United fans delighting in the Spurs win. 'Trolling' really? Is that what you think? Gimme a break.

I recall the thread after the Champions League final when United fans were posting pictures of John Terry with the 'tiny tots Terry' photoshops, 'It's not Terry's it's mine' etc. I thought it was both hilarious and brilliant. I can't help but wonder however if United and Liverpool found themselves up against one another, and something similar happened to let's say Steven Gerrard, would we be allowed take the piss out of him and make photoshops of him and slag him off? Or would that be 'trolling' and would bans be requested? Based on that recent thread I'm inclined to think the answer is that things would be very different and that some fans would go into meltdown.

Sport is about enjoyment at the end of the day and sometimes enjoyment comes from delighting in the misery of the defeated. I think it's a shame some fans on here can't take a joke tbh. If a separate 'fun thread' would allow for this then why not? Let's not silence the laughs because some people can't take a bit of banter.

• Advertisement

Lads my Idea (if I am fair ) was more for a humour thread ,where jokes , team rants i.e player x is a complete t***** or that manager Y is a money graping S**t and other amusing stories could be shared without the fear of be banned.
    The Battlezone part was more of an after thought ,but now that I have mention it , To often threads are de-railed by 2/3 posters getting in to it and having a private war of words within an existing thread . Don't get me wrong sometimes these private little discussion can be more interesting than the original thread , and I guess are sometimes followed by many other users . However normally they are stopped when a mod has to step in (rightly so ) to get things back on topic . Sometimes these discussions can lead to bans .

Would it not be nice to have a place where these things could be taken too and finished . Now I am not looking for a free for all zone . There would still have to be rules and guidelines , but the context and nature of the thread would be well know before anyone entered and therefore reporting posts or been offended and such , should and would be very small , if happening at all

Don't care,
    But is there anyone that REALLY be up for modding it and could be deemed neutral enough?

But is there anyone that REALLY be up for modding it and could be deemed neutral enough?

Hmmm very good point !

Yeah I think the MODs could handle it alright. As long as someone doesnt step in because it's their team under discussion...

It'd be an all out warzone and probably lead to heart problems for the more defensive posters here (Mr Alan for example :pac:) but I give it a + 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

The soccer Thunderdrome thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Don't care,
    crap idea.

I think a separate sub-forum might be needed for this because there would be so many things being discussed at once, but the problem with that is it might become a mini thunderdome.
    This could work out well if it is mod well. It could not be totally out of control and there would need to be a charter with rules. I voted for because I think there should be a place where we can give/take a bit of slag after a match.
    Anyone who is a little sensitive to slagging could simply stay out. In real life if you are talking to your teams oppositions supporter there is always going to be some slagging after the match and you give some and you take some. Most of my friends are united and when they won the cl I must have got 10 texts and calls slagging me but if they had lost I would have sent 10 texts slagging each of them. What I'm saying is its all just a bit of fun and no one should get offended as long as its not personal

:)

Don't care,
    ajeffares wrote: »
    I think a separate sub-forum might be needed for this because there would be so many things being discussed at once, but the problem with that is it might become a mini thunderdome.
    This could work out well if it is mod well. It could not be totally out of control and there would need to be a charter with rules. I voted for because I think there should be a place where we can give/take a bit of slag after a match.
    Anyone who is a little sensitive to slagging could simply stay out. In real life if you are talking to your teams oppositions supporter there is always going to be some slagging after the match and you give some and you take some. Most of my friends are united and when they won the cl I must have got 10 texts and calls slagging me but if they had lost I would have sent 10 texts slagging each of them. What I'm saying is its all just a bit of fun and no one should get offended as long as its not personal

:)

Excellent post.

But.

The internet isn't real life. And people act differently.

A sub forum, or a thread like that, would be nigh-on impossible to mod. Too many arseholes taking everything way too seriously.

• Advertisement

Don't care,
    Des wrote: »
    Too many arseholes taking everything way too seriously.

Be just like the main forum so :pac:

Excellent post.

But.

A sub forum, or a thread like that, would be nigh-on impossible to mod. Too many arseholes taking everything way too seriously.

Thanks, that is the main problem.

Excellent post.

But.

Maybe this could be incorporated into the rules of entry i.e Serial reporters etc could be banned for the thread (Just the thread , not the forum )

Don't care,
    It all sounds like too much effort tbh.

If people didn't didn't get their knickers in a twist over throw away comments in the main forum then there would be hassles.

Don't care,
    ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Serial reporters etc could be banned for the thread (Just the thread , not the forum )

wtf is a serial reporter?

if you could see the reported post forum you'd know there is no such thing.

The soccer forum has suprisingly few reported posts, imo.

People prefer to call troll on threads, rather than report.

It's fairly annoying for the mods I reckon.

Don't care,
    If people didn't didn't get their knickers in a twist over throw away comments in the main forum then there would be hassles.

It happens to the best of us Xavi.

Me and you included.

• Advertisement

It happens to the best of us Xavi.

Me and you included.

Agreed, but often I think thats because we know that we cant be calling names back, and it irks us that someone has had a pop at our expense. If there was a place where these differences could be aired out, in a light-hearted manner, then it could take alot of the petty sniping out of the Main forum.

Personally, when i'm watching football with my mates, I would much rather one of them said 'you're team are fcuking sh/t' and we can have a laugh about it, then when someone hissesss 'YES!!' when a goal is scored against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Most of the time the place is fine. I would like to see the type of bull**** ntlbell got away with in the Liverpool - Spurs thread stamped out.

wtf is a serial reporter?

if you could see the reported post forum you'd know there is no such thing.

The soccer forum has suprisingly few reported posts, imo.

People prefer to call troll on threads, rather than report.

It's fairly annoying for the mods I reckon.

A serial reporter is a lower form of life , that lives somewhere between the unwashed dishes and the crap at the bottom of the sink in a student flat,
    At least trolls have a goal (somewhat under handed , but at least they show some form of ambition ) and post out in the open.

Don't care,
    There are no serial reporters in Soccer.

That is a fact.

That is a fact.

Yes you are problem right,
    My referance to "serial reporters " was in the context of this thread .If it was started i.e Everyone would know what the thread was about before entering , but if posters are seen to develop a pattern of reporting just because things are not going their way or that they are too light skinned etc.
    These posters should be given their marching orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Excellent post.

But.

internetdickwad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Sherifu wrote: »
    Most of the time the place is fine. I would like to see the type of bull**** ntlbell got away with in the Liverpool - Spurs thread stamped out.

This is why this new thread is a good idea

Don't care,

That is a fact.

He's right. There's no one single serial reporter, or even two or three.

You're all a bunch of snitches :pac:

Advertisement