Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on TEFL in Poland

Options
  • 03-11-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hey there all,or Czesc is better maybe!!
    So i am currently going out with my Polish Girlfriend now a while,in a Long Distance Relationship Travelling over usually every month to see her(she stays over here in the summer time as shes at Uni over there).

Anyhow,flights are getting more expensive,and the time apart from each other gets harder and harder sometimes so we've talked and i Decided that I shall probably be moving over there soon(Next Summer or just after the summer)maybe for good if all works out ok,or until she has finnished Uni at least.

Am really keen on the idea of Teaching English Over there,with my polish not being so good & such jobs available in TEFL-it makes sense.It would be a welcomed change in job for me,something fresh & different from my current line of work.

I've been reading for weeks about TEFEL,CELT,CELTA,etc.The Online courses and Weekend courses seem to be kinda not so good compared to the CELT.
    So I'd love to do the CELT course but from what i read you need to have a Degree before getting the CELT.
    I actually never went to college,Passed the Leaving Cert,Have 7+ Years experience in Retail and some Management-But no Degree!

I understand you can do the Fulltime CELT Course without a Degree BUT not get the Full CELT Certificate after the course(Get a College Cert or something).
    Would this Certificate not be acceptable in Europe/Poland?Or would it be better than say the weekend TEFL course Certificates?

Am just trying to Decide if I'd be wasting my time trying to get into the CELT Course if the Cert i would get would not be acceptable.

Any Help or advice would be much welcomed!!! Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

OP,

CELT, full or not, is generally speaking highly regarded by Polish employers. They'd be far more interested in the number of hours you've put into the TEFL preparation than your college degree or lack thereof (esp. since plenty of native speakers with CELT in Poland and elsewhere in the world have degrees that are completely irrelevant to teaching languages).
    So, in short, a CELT cert with no degree would still be acceptable in Poland

That said, people with full certs will still be chosen over you - the laws of the market - so if you plan on settling down in any of the 'popular' tourist town you must be prepared to accept a longer wait for the job and a slightly lower salary. If you're not going to Krakow, Poznan or Warsaw, however, you have no need to worry, language schools will be fighting over you.

PM me if you need any further info

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Superfint

Thanks very much madziuda, good to hear that i will be able to get some work over there!
    I'll more than likely be going to Gdansk.Now i just have to get stuck into this course in the next couple of months,get my CELT and get over there and find something!

Cheers again:D

Advertisement