Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Driver

• 03-11-2008 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I bought a new phone on Friday and I've just been trying to connect it to my laptop via the USB cable...

When I do it says - "USB Device Not Recognised." , Unknown Device etc...

I've tried the Nokia Site and cant find any drivers, I've also downloaded the Nokia PC Suite and the Phone Updater , still no luck. sad-smiley.gif

Google didnt help much either...

So, any ideas?

It's the Nokia 3120 Classic btw..

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Did you not get an installation CD with your phone? Run that before connecting your phone and it should work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Soundman wrote: »
    Did you not get an installation CD with your phone? Run that before connecting your phone and it should work fine.
    I didn't no...:(

Didn't even get a USB Cable with it!

Must be one of the only Nokia Phones that doesn't come with one!

Where did you buy it? Surely it should have come with the basic accessories such as software CD and cabling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Damn you Dave. I was just about to post a different link to the same page. :p Just type in 3120 and click the Classic if you haven't been on that page already.

• Advertisement

Where did you buy it? Surely it should have come with the basic accessories such as software CD and cabling.
    Got it on three.ie ....I had read the reviews so I knew I wouldn't get a CD and Cable with it.....I have loads of them anyway...
    Just annoying that it wont connect.....yet.

Thanks for that link Dave, I'll try it now.

daftdave wrote: »
    OK tried that,

still wont work! :(

"USB Device (still) not recognised"
    :mad:

any other ideas?

Just to make sure:

If you have any Unknown Devices in your Device Manager, remove them. If anything from the Nokia phone is mentioned there then remove it. Also uninstall PC Suite if you have it installed.

Try these instructions then:

Installation Procedure

1. Install software from cd to computer (data suite or just download it from Nokias website - it all works the same)

2. Plug cable into computer (DO NOT PLUG PHONE INTO CABLE YET) and follow the 'next/next/next' prompts to install the cable drivers.(your computer should automatically recognise the drivers from the disk)

3. Restart computer

4. Plug phone into data cable (and follow following procedure)

a. Phone icon will appear in bottom right icons list of your computer
    b. Right click on icon
    c. Go to connections
    d. Click on data cable type
    e. Click on configure
    f. Ensure your cable is plugged into the same usb port as is stated in the configure section.

5. Start nokia data suite and your phone will connect.

6. Your phone should do this automatically but make sure it is set to activate for the data enhancement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

soundman gave some good advice above OP

Nokia's do not play nice if you plug them in 1st before the software.

As a matter of interest what cable are you using????

I had a nightmare with a cheap one i got on ebay, not the cable just the bloody drivers for it. And on an N73 i had i tried to use my house mates older nokia cable it just wouldnt work full stop. Worked fine when i located my own new nokia data cable though.

As far as i can tell the 3120 needs the CA-42 or CA-80 data cable,
    but the guys on the mobiles and pda forum might have much better info than I do on this topic.

2. Plug cable into computer (DO NOT PLUG PHONE INTO CABLE YET) and follow the 'next/next/next' prompts to install the cable drivers.(your computer should automatically recognise the drivers from the disk)
    OK, I'm going wrong on this step....there are no prompts to install the cable drivers...:confused:
    calex71 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what cable are you using????

I had a nightmare with a cheap one i got on ebay, not the cable just the bloody drivers for it. And on an N73 i had i tried to use my house mates older nokia cable it just wouldnt work full stop. Worked fine when i located my own new nokia data cable though.

As far as i can tell the 3120 needs the CA-42 or CA-80 data cable,
    but the guys on the mobiles and pda forum might have much better info than I do on this topic.
    The cable that I'm using is not an official Nokia one... It's different from the a basic USB cable...the connection on the other end is slightly smaller. I'm just using one I had lying around the house, so that's most likely my problem...

• Advertisement

blue-army wrote: »
    OK, I'm going wrong on this step....there are no prompts to install the cable drivers...:confused:

The cable that I'm using is not an official Nokia one... It's different from the a basic USB cable...the connection on the other end is slightly smaller. I'm just using one I had lying around the house, so that's most likely my problem...

Oh i must have been looking at the regular 3120 not the classic , so its not like the big chunky connector a lot of the nokia phones have its more like a standard mini usb like you'd see on camera's etc???? In that case you might be ok cable wise.

You were right Calex. For the 3120 Classic, the Data cable required is the CA-42, or, if I recall from my searching last night, the CA-53.

Edit: I think I also remember seeing that a regular usb cable won't work unfortunately. Though the cheap eBay ones work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

What operating system are you using?

Galen wrote: »
    What operating system are you using?
    Windows Vista...home edition

blue-army wrote: »
    Windows Vista...home edition

I might as well give you my experience with trying to get a 5140i working with an ebay ca-42 cable (black with blue connectors)

Nokia pc suite alone didnt work for me, i ended up hunting the interweb for a serial cable driver. Can remember how i firgured out what driver i needed, may have been down to how the cable identified itself when i plugged it in.

Anyway i got a driver (still have it some where)
    from the .inf file
    Installation file (.inf) for the USB to Virtual Serial ports device
    ; VXD For WIN98
    ;
    ; (c) Copyright 2004 Ark Pioneer Microelectronics Ltd.
    ;
    ;
    ; 22-Sep-2004

I have know way to know if this driver would help you with your cable and i also cant find the site with the install intructions as it was not a simple matter of just pointing the install to the .inf

The single biggest problem i had was that this would NOT work on vista for me but i was fortunate enough to be dual booting with xp.

So you could be chasing your tail on this one OP.

Might be worth concidering an official nokia cable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the device isn't a nokia cable the the nokia drivers probably won't work

to find out what it is in device manager check the properties of the device
    it may say some thing like
    USB\VID_1241&PID_E000\5&1DC3342F&0&2

USB\VID_1241&PID_E000\5&1DC3342F&0&2
    the vendor ID is 1241
    and the product ID is E000

you can google for 1241:e000 sometimes you get lucky

you can look up the company name here and then search the web
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/index.php
    http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendors.php?sort=id - vender list sorted by ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

A large proportion of usb devices especially portable devices use drivers provided by the operating system and Vista's driver support is terrible.

This link might help you - http://europe.nokia.com/A4969158

Advertisement