Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Punts be exchanged for Euros ?

Options
  • 03-11-2008 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I have an old 10 pound note, can it still be exchanged for Euros ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

In Central Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Random wrote: »
    In Central Bank.

Any idea of the exchange rate ? I'm assuming there's a hidden charge somewhere.

Any idea of the exchange rate ? I'm assuming there's a hidden charge somewhere.
    It's what the rate was on the day we changed to Euro. This rate was fixed.

From memory I think 1 pound to 1.27 euro but don't quote me.

Yeah it was definately 1.27, cheers again. There's bound to be a catch though.

From the Central Bank website
    Counter Exchange
    Bringing your banknotes to the Bank in person for exchange

If you wish to exchange your notes in person you will need to bring them to the Central Bank of Ireland, Dame Street, Dublin 2.

Opening hours at the Bank are 10:00am until 4:00pm, Monday to Friday excluding Bank holidays. The contact number is ( 003531 ) 4344234.

Amounts up to the value of IR£1,000 can be redeemed on the same day. Amounts in excess of IR£1,000 (€1,270) will be accepted at our counter, a receipt will be issued and the notes sent to our Currency Issue Department for verification. Payment will be made directly into your Bank Account * for the appropriate amount, usually within 20 working days. Please complete the exchange form given below; this is to be given with your notes.

Postal Exchange
    Sending Irish banknotes by post

If you wish to exchange your notes by Post you will need to send them to the address given below.

Please complete the exchange form given below; this is to be sent with your notes. The Bank will then send a payment directly into your Bank Account for the appropriate amount, usually within 20 working days.

Teller Section
    Central Bank of Ireland
    PO Box 559
    Dame Street
    Dublin 2

* In exceptional circumstances a cheque may be issued for the value of the redeemed notes
    Exchange of Irish Coin

Coin up to the value of IR£500 can be exchanged over the counter at our Dame Street offices. Amounts over IR£500 can only be exchanged by prior arrangement with our Currency Issue Department. The contact number is ( 003531 ) 2198000.

Counter Exchange
    Bringing your Irish Coin to the Bank in person for exchange

If you wish to exchange your Irish coin in person you will need to bring them to the Central Bank of Ireland, Dame Street, Dublin 2.

Opening hours at the Bank are 10:00am until 4:00pm, Monday to Friday excluding Bank holidays. The contact number is ( 003531 ) 4344234.

Amounts up to the value of IR£500 (€635) can be redeemed the same day.

Postal Exchange
    Sending Irish Coin by post

If you wish to exchange your coin by Post you will need to send it to the appropriate address given below.

Please complete the exchange form given below; this is to be sent with your coin. The Bank will then send a payment directly into your Bank Account for the appropriate amount, usually within 20 working days.
    Less than IR£500 Greater than IR£500
    Teller Section Currency Issue Department
    Central Bank of Ireland Central Bank and Financial Services
    PO Box 559 Authority of Ireland
    Dame Street Currency Centre
    Dublin 2 Sandyford
    Dublin 16

Click here for form for exchange of Irish banknotes and coin.
    Exchange of Mutilated Notes

The Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland redeems Euro and Irish banknotes that are damaged or mutilated (e.g. partially burnt, cut or decomposed), if the banknotes meet certain criteria defined by the European Central Bank. As a general rule, if more than half of the banknote remains it will be redeemed. Intentionally mutilated or damaged banknotes are not redeemed.

Members of the public can bring their mutilated notes to their local bank branch. Each bank branch should have supplies of Application Forms for Redemption of Mutilated Notes. The local bank will submit the application to the Central Bank on the customer’s behalf. The Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland will then make a payment directly into the customer’s account.

Applications for redemption of mutilated notes may also be sent to:

Mutilated Notes Section
    Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland
    PO Box 61
    Sandyford
    Dublin 16

The contact number is ( 003531 ) 2198000

Alternatively, members of the public can bring their mutilated notes to:

Teller Section
    Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland
    PO Box 559
    Dame St
    Dublin 2

The redemption criteria are set out in more detail in: “Decision of the European Central Bank on the denominations, specifications, reproduction, exchange and withdrawal of euro banknotes (ECB/2003/4) (2003/205/EC), March 2003”.

• Advertisement

From wikipedia :

"All Irish coins and banknotes, from the start of the Irish Free State onwards, both decimal and pre-decimal, may be exchanged for euro at the Central Bank in Dublin"

Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Maybe stick it on ebay with a reserve price of 12.70. You never know, someone might be collecting old notes

Maybe stick it on ebay with a reserve price of 12.70. You never know, someone might be collecting old notes

Lol, capitalism alive and well. (sarky smiley)

I'd rather give it to a homeless geezar to buy a bottle of wine than do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Do it my way and you can buy him champagne :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Post of the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

http://cgi.ebay.ie/IRISH-ONE-POUND-NOTE-1981-CENTRAL-BANK-OF-IRELAND_W0QQitemZ260309956023QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260309956023&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

£0.99 = €1.24 . €1.27 if you bring them down to the central bank.

There's money to be made here lads. I'll just need to buy a 5,000 of them to make it worth my while. :)

Advertisement