Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just something that popped into my head...

Options
  • 03-11-2008 1:25am

I don't know much (admittingly) about cars etc but one thing I do know is that cars are cheaper to buy in Europe, say if I went to an Audi factory in Germany and bought a new Audi and (assuming) it's cheaper than in Ireland, what do I need to pay if I drove it over from Germany to Ireland myself?

Can money be saved this way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Random wrote: »

OP asked a different question.

OP, you'll need to pay VAT and VRT. VRT can be calculated here.

VAT will be based on the pre-tax Irish price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I don't know much (admittingly) about cars etc but one thing I do know is that cars are cheaper to buy in Europe, say if I went to an Audi factory in Germany and bought a new Audi and (assuming) it's cheaper than in Ireland, what do I need to pay if I drove it over from Germany to Ireland myself?

Can money be saved this way?

Typically not, no. A lot of cars are actually cheaper in Ireland than they are in Europe actually. The reason for this is VRT. The rest of Europe don't have to pay this, but because it's so high the manufacturers strip out a few standard equipment from the cars, call them "extras" and sell the car a little cheaper to Ireland than to the UK for example. Then after VAT and VRT are applied the car is dearer by a large margin, but not quite as large as expected.
    If you are living in the UK however, it might be worth your while buy a car here and bring it back and save a few bob as you won't have to pay VRT.

Advertisement