Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boardsies Pick me a 2nd hand 4x4 for 10k

Options
  • 03-11-2008 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

Right i have 10k to play with, i want a 2nd hand 4x4, pick me one

priorities :

must be :
    reliable
    automatic (tiptronic if possible)
    no older than 2000
    under 100k miles
    diesel

I would really like it to have
    leather
    climate control
    cruise control
    Single/Double DIN stereo OR factory fitted navigation

i dont mind commercial vehicles at all, but no SWB 4x4s (example , the mitsubishi shogun warrior LWB is ok, but the pinin is not !, also no land rover or jeep vehicles (there too unreliable)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

As far as I know the only tiptronic autos with the "gadgets" would be the SUVs - Merc, Bmw and porsche.
    Your best bet for reliability is probably the landcruiser, But its a toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

isuzu trooper is your best bet i think, 2000 start at 4000 thanks to poor reveiws by the press but lets be honest... When you build a veichale strictly as a workhorse... thats what you get... a work horse... not a P.O.S range rover.

either that or a pajero would be a personal choice as land cruisers hold too much value ( owners are greedy ) and the l200 is ugly.

narvara wouldnt be bad or path finder even.... any of the nissan jeeps seem to be fairly good, used by the irish army so its fine enough for me.

I have a nissan terrano, if you want a bit of class, refinement or comfort DONT buy a nissan. Completely agree with S.I.R (never thought I'd say that) but the Landcruiser is over priced and in my opinion over rated. they will be about 10 - 20% more expensive to any similar 4x4 from your budget and they all seem to be very high milage.

I'd go for a pajero myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'd get a great fully loaded import pajero for 10k, and well worth importing a jap import from the UK yourself if you can, you'll get much better value and it's not nearly as much hassle as you'd think.

I got mine in liverpool, flew over and made a weekend of it and got the night ferry back which had good food (dinner & breakfast) and a reasonable bunk in the cabin too.

ignore the ones on carzone etc, there's plenty still on there since I was looking 6 months ago and they're still asking stupid prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Isn't there a separate forum for 4x4? Might get a better response there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Anan1 wrote: »
    Isn't there a separate forum for 4x4? Might get a better response there.

Don't think many post or look in that forum....

a few of us do. all the 2wd drivers here will hate you for wanting a 4wd too. :)

seven replies before somebody brought that up:D

You'll probably get more feedback here, the 4x4 forum is fairly quiet. Probably because most of the demographic are out using their 4x4s during the day, farmers, builders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Slig wrote: »
    I have a nissan terrano, if you want a bit of class, refinement or comfort DONT buy a nissan. Completely agree with S.I.R (never thought I'd say that) but the Landcruiser is over priced and in my opinion over rated. they will be about 10 - 20% more expensive to any similar 4x4 from your budget and they all seem to be very high milage.

I'd go for a pajero myself.

and i agree with you... but you know what pajero means in spanish dont you ?? get a "shogun" instead :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

h3000 wrote: »

i would except for the fact its a land rover, if any man ever figures out how to make a 2002-2004 discovery as reliable as a landcruiser , i will go gay for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

i would except for the fact its a land rover, if any man ever figures out how to make a 2002-2004 discovery as reliable as a landcruiser , i will go gay for him

I totally agree with you that the Land Cruiser is far more realiable, but I can't see you getting a Land Cruiser to match your criteria for 10K.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

looking at the UK theres a fair few shoguns and kia sorentos going cheap, looking at those options

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S.I.R wrote: »
    isuzu trooper is your best bet i think, 2000 start at 4000 thanks to poor reveiws by the press but lets be honest... When you build a veichale strictly as a workhorse... thats what you get... a work horse... not a P.O.S range rover.

The reason the Trooper is unpopular is mainly due to the woeful reputation the 3.0 engine has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know someone with a car v.close to what you want, but:

cloth seats
    2.0 petrol

It's low mileage, true 4 x 4, and Japanese, so should outlive us all.......and less than 10k.

So, what's the deal breaker ? the seats or petrol/diesel ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know someone with a car v.close to what you want, but:

cloth seats
    2.0 petrol

It's low mileage, true 4 x 4, and Japanese, so should outlive us all.......and less than 10k.

So, what's the deal breaker ? the seats or petrol/diesel ?

both in a way, i need a diesel for vat reasons, its going to be a commercial vehicle even if i buy as a passenger, so its out

it doesnt 100% have to be leather, i cen get leather seats from somewhere for it, but unfortunatley with this one its petrol so no can do

Also : the following cars are out , 3.0 trooper, new l200, ml270, any land rover, rav4

whats everyone's opinion on a ssanyong rexton or kia sorento ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The reason the Trooper is unpopular is mainly due to the woeful reputation the 3.0 engine has.

Very unreliable unit!! and very expensive to put right.. think 1000's rather the 100's

S.I.R wrote: »
    ... but you know what pajero means in spanish dont you ??
    yes, it means 'plumber'. ;)

unfortunately in some parts of spain, plumber is the slang word for someone who likes playing with their 'pipe', so it basically means w@nker, but it's only in a few area's of some spanish speaking countries, but I wouldn't want to drive one around south america all the same. :D

BUT, in all the Spanish speaking countries you can buy one it was renamed the Montero, so it's all good. :)

of more concern (on a similar naming subject) is reading on the register today that someone in japan or china or somewhere like that has figured out how to make nanotubes from copper instead of carbon, which created some rather awkward naming confusions as carbon nanotubes are referred to as 'CNTs' with the 'C' rather predictably standing for the element Carbon (as it appears on the periodic table). unfortunately Copper is represented on the periodic table as Cu, so you can see where I'm going (or not, it's late and I'm babbling again! :))

both in a way, i need a diesel for vat reasons, its going to be a commercial vehicle even if i buy as a passenger, so its out

it doesnt 100% have to be leather, i cen get leather seats from somewhere for it, but unfortunatley with this one its petrol so no can do

Also : the following cars are out , 3.0 trooper, new l200, ml270, any land rover, rav4

whats everyone's opinion on a ssanyong rexton or kia sorento ?

I dont have any experience of owning either but I hope to be taking a test drive in the rexton at the weekend. They both look appealing but are very expensive for what I've heard isnt much of a 4x4.
    A fair few of the building contractors I work with have them though, even before the building industry crash they were popular. Santa fe isnt an option is it? I think the old one has aged desperately and compared to the new one looks pants, very sluggish as well.

my mum has a rexton and I've driven it a bit. it's pretty okay, but it's not a proper 4x4, no 2/4wd selector or anything, it's just a 'soft roader' like the santa fe or the bmw x5's.

incidentally part of the reason i have a pajero is after i got stuck on a beach in a santa fe hire car for 3 hours last summer and a guy in a swb pajero reversed right into the sand we were stuck in and pulled himself and us right out of it no bother. didn't want to get stuck like that again, it was very embarrassing. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement