Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If WWE was like UFC...

Comments

rovert wrote: »
    So are you saying Kane could rule in MMA? I know you have to defend him but come on.

Stop trying to start an argument with me Rovert. I didn't even mention Kane being in MMA or UFC or anything even like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Did they? I dont know one way or the other in what you meant. It confused me.
    My point is that saying that it's stupid to compare the two just on the basis of the weight classes is kinda a contradiction because it's obviously happened before.

One cannot say it's stupid to compare Pro Wrestling and MMA because of weight classes, specifically the lack of limits of them. MMA has specific weight classes, Pro Wrestling doesn't. callaway92's point is exactly that, it wouldn't work out if Pro Wrestling had a shoot between Rey Mysterio and Big Slow.

My point was, we've seen ridiculous sh*t like that in the early days of UFC.
    Hope this clears it up for ya dude.

(but if it doesn't, try something a bit more constructive than "WAT")

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    My point was, we've seen ridiculous sh*t like that in the early days of UFC.
    Hope this clears it up for ya dude.

Yeah but that occurred in unregulated areas of America.

To say an obscure part of UFC's history is what UFC is like (the purposes of the thread title) is totally unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

rovert wrote:

To say an obscure part of UFC's history is what UFC is like (the purposes of the thread title) is totally unfair.

The only part of UFC that the OP was really referring to was "real fighting". Not weight divisions or anythin else, just real ****ing fighting. 40 ****ing posts arguing over ****ing nothing.

Sorry Im only replying to the thread title. :rolleyes:

Im staying on the topic KKV set, I dont why KKV is thanking you btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

amacachi wrote: »
    The only part of UFC that the OP was really referring to was "real fighting". Not weight divisions or anythin else, just real ****ing fighting. 40 ****ing posts arguing over ****ing nothing.

Well said.

I think any MMA yammering should be moved to the MMA forum. After all, thats why it was set up..

Could a mod change the title to something to do with "if WWE had an MMA shoot match...."?

The implication of your post is that UFC isn’t real fighting.
    Well said.

I think any MMA yammering should be moved to the MMA forum. After all, thats why it was set up..

Could a mod change the title to something to do with "if WWE had an MMA shoot match...."?

Likewise

But im asking about the entire roster. Not just if two guys went at it.

And Rovert, if you insist on making it MMA The sequel, why dont you just say who you think would be the champion of each weight division, and stop arguing it?

But im asking about the entire roster. Not just if two guys went at it.

And Rovert, if you insist on making it MMA The sequel, why dont you just say who you think would be the champion of each weight division, and stop arguing it?

What weight divisions are thinking about KKV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

What weight divisions are thinking about KKV?

Should there be a "you" in there?

Should there be a "you" in there?

Sorry Im tired, point still stands.

I never said it was, all i said was that it had been done before, that's all.
    Because it had. :)

Hell WWE even did it this year, Big Show v Floyd Mayweather wasn't exactly an even match ;) It wasn't MMA, but it was still under the conception of "a shoot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Sorry Im tired, point still stands.

It's grand. I'm not the best speller either but some of your posts have been hard to read.

It's grand. I'm not the best speller either but some of your posts have been hard to read.

Im just shattered
    Deleted. bombidol

Quicker than asking Fozzy for a ban.

How dare I stick to the topic and title.
    I never said it was, all i said was that it had been done before, that's all.
    Because it had. :)

Hell WWE even did it this year, Big Show v Floyd Mayweather wasn't exactly an even match ;) It wasn't MMA, but it was still under the conception of "a shoot".

No it wasnt as the athletic commision wasnt involved it was present to every party as a Wrestling match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

rovert, don't bring up Kane just to have a go at KKV. And stop arguing about semantics

callaway92, there's no need to keep saying that it's a stupid question

• Advertisement

I'm sure that I've read about Kozlov competing in kickboxing competitions before. Why would there be a problem with him being one-dimensional though? Most of the rest of the roster would be zero-dimensional

I've read about Shad Gaspard having an amateur MMA or a toughman contest record and it was pretty good

Jack Swagger was an All-American wrestler too, he's worth a mention

If the rumours are to be believed though, I think Dos Caras Jr has to be the top pick, seeing as how he's the only one with a professional MMA record, fighting in PRIDE too

Fozzy wrote: »
    And stop arguing about semantics.

Hardly semantics when the topic is this:
    If WWE was like UFC (Real, actual fighting) who do YOU think would be the world champ? (using only the current roster)
    rovert, don't bring up Kane just to have a go at KKV.

I didnt I honestly thought that where KKV was going with the "YOU think" line in the OP as he has used it his "defenses" of Kane in the past. Why should Kane be treated with kits gloves when the topic relates to the current roster?

If the rumours are to be believed though, I think Dos Caras Jr has to be the top pick, seeing as how he's the only one with a professional MMA record, fighting in PRIDE too

Good one

No it wasnt as the athletic commision wasnt involved it was present to every party as a Wrestling match.

I stand corrected on the Show/Mayweather example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I've read about Shad Gaspard having an amateur MMA or a toughman contest record and it was pretty good

That is true.
    His dad began training him up in boxing and that when he was 5!
    By 8 he was moving on to Martial Arts.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected on the Show/Mayweather example.

You didnt have to post that now.

Rovert; We all know that i like Kane. But even I won't try to pretend that he would be a UFC or MMA world heavyweight champion or anything like it. If WWE had a massive KOTR style UFC tournament, i imagine Kane would be out of it very early.

You didnt have to post that now.

I wanted to, and the fact that you're not the only one wrecked.
    Got back from Whitby earlier today and running on fumes. At the point of posting for the sake of posting.

Which is why i'm stopping now and going to bed.

Rovert; We all know that i like Kane. But even I won't try to pretend that he would be a UFC or MMA world heavyweight champion or anything like it. If WWE had a massive KOTR style UFC tournament, i imagine Kane would be out of it very early.

Dont take this as a go but you should have started a topic asking "who in WWE do you think is the best fighter" or "who would most likely win Brawl For All if WWE brought it back." Starting a topic and mentioning UFC how you did confused people due the amount of structure and regulation around UFC fights.

Anyway most State dont allow three round full MMA matches anymore. Too dangerous.

But plenty of people knew exactly what i meant?

And its more a discussion/imagination thing. I know WWE wont actually have their wrestlers batter each other in this way.

But plenty of people knew exactly what i meant?

And plenty didnt, you could have made the topic more clear.

Anyway why dont you like MMA? It is like Wrestling but good. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

For christ sake Rovert.

I have no interest in wrestling but I have in UFC. I liked wrestling when I was younger so figured this would be a good thread.

I knew what the OP was talking about straight away, it wasn't difficult. You're arguing semantics. You seriously need to take a break from the trolling - you are a very, very frustrating poster to read.

UFC was mentioned as the OP was implying it is a real physical fight. Not for weight regulations or state law but simply to indicate that it was a proper fight.

You've ran with something after being told many times what the topic is actually about.

Just drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

rovert - you know that I have backed you up recently when you were unjustly banned but the way you have behaved on this thread makes me wonder why I bothered.

You have admitted yourself that you are tired so it might be a good time to take a break since all you are doing here is picking fights, being pedantic and feigning confusion regarding what KKV meant when everyone else on the thread clearly has no problem understanding the point he was proposing to discuss. I have been following this thread from it's inception so don't tell me I can't or didn't read properly please.

Anyway, it's a good question KKV and my answer is simple enough - whoever should emerge as champ would most likely just get his ass handed to him by Butterbean :)

Naos wrote: »
    I knew what the OP was talking about straight away, it wasn't difficult. You're arguing semantics.

Explain how Im arguing semantics?
    You seriously need to take a break from the trolling - you are a very, very frustrating poster to read.

How am I trolling I answered the thread how it was presented to me.
    UFC was mentioned as the OP was implying it is a real physical fight. Not for weight regulations or state law but simply to indicate that it was a proper fight.

Titles were mentioned as being at stake in fairness and the UFC. What is someone meant to think when in addition the title of the topic "If WWE was like UFC... "
    You've ran with something after being told many times what the topic is actually about.

That something was what other people were talking about too as we were confused. I moved on up your reply was made me return to it all.

rovert - you know that I have backed you up recently when you were unjustly banned but the way you have behaved on this thread makes me wonder why I bothered.

Do you not think my suggestions to KKV for alternative topic title would lead to less confusion?
    You have admitted yourself that you are tired so it might be a good time to take a break since all you are doing here is picking fights, being pedantic and feigning confusion regarding what KKV meant when everyone else on the thread clearly has no problem understanding the point he was proposing to discuss. I have been following this thread from it's inception so don't tell me I can't or didn't read properly please.

Hold on Im not "picking fights, being pedantic and feigning confusion regarding what KKV meant." I was reply to the topic. If you think "everyone else on the thread clearly has no problem understanding the point he was proposing to discuss" you need to see the replies made between KKV first and second post.

• Advertisement

rovert, I've told you to stop so stop. Last warning. No need for anyone else to pitch in either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

rossie1977 wrote: »
    200lb difference is nothing, this is a weight difference :D

"This actually a really silly match up"

Loltastic
    My point is that saying that it's stupid to compare the two just on the basis of the weight classes is kinda a contradiction because it's obviously happened before.

Just like Wrestling was once an art of shoot fighting as you pointed out.

Clearly never the twain shall meet, but if it was the case, then i still reckon Koslov would take it.

What's the history behind wrestling becoming a work ? I know it had something to do with carnivals but I think I read in a wrestling book that it was for real up until when Ed Strangler Lewis threw a match. Am I hundreds of years off ?

Sorry Im only replying to the thread title. :rolleyes:

Im staying on the topic KKV set, I dont why KKV is thanking you btw.

Usually it helps on internet forums for people to reply to subsequent posts rather than continously replying to the thread title. Thread titles don't mean a hell of a lot . Chill out like .

What's the history behind wrestling becoming a work ? I know it had something to do with carnivals but I think I read in a wrestling book that it was for real up until when Ed Strangler Lewis threw a match. Am I hundreds of years off ?

rovert is probably the one to answer this one. Wrestling has been worked for as long as i've been watching it, and i actually wasn't bothered looking back. Just one of those things that i always knew about, but was happy about it.

I remember the aul "wrestling is fake" arguements in the playground. At Wrestlemania 12 Roddy Piper gave Goldust a pretty hard punch in the face that was quite loud and I couldn't get around the real/fake thing at the time. I was such a terrible mark :p
    I don't know anyone young kids who watch wwe these days but if you know any , are they aware that it's all a work ? Or is the wwe's product today such that it's in no way representated as possibly being "real"

Any kid i know that watches it thinks that the wrestlers are really fighting each other.

When you know its all worked, i think its very hard to sit down and look at it and think "how do people think this is real?".

I mean.. its so bizarre. As if anything like a chokeslam or a swanton bomb would happen in a real life fight.

Two friends were punched, kicked and hit with several chair shots by a “feral gang” of 40 youths in an unprovoked attack on the Gurnos estate.

Daryl Phillips and Danny Davies were both hospitalised after the vicious assault, witnessed by Mr Phillips’s children and shocked neighbours.

On Friday, three of their attackers each received a two-and-a-half-year sentence for violent disorder at Cardiff Crown Court.

The court heard that the two victims were making their way to a shop in Gurnos when they were attacked near Wellingtonia Close, also known as the Green.

They were confronted on the Green by Nathan Hellard holding a steel folding chair in his hand.

Mr Phillips said to him: “There’s no need for that, there’s kids around.”

Karl Ryan, prosecuting, described how Hellard then became “extremely enraged” and started swinging the chair saying: “This is gonna hurt!”

The two men tried calming him down, but Hellard ran from the area shouting: “Bring them out.”

Minutes later their theme music hit and the men were confronted by the huge gang of youths, caught on CCTV pouring in to the Green from streets around the estate. The three defendants were described as the ringleaders of the crowd.

Jamie Hopkins struck Mr Davies to the head with the steel chair as others shouted “What a vicious chair shot” and “My god, i've never seen anyone manhandle him like that before in my life!”

When Mr Phillips tried to help his friend, he was also set upon and pleaded with them to stop the assault.

He managed to drag Mr Davies into his garden and could hear his son shouting: “I don't believe it! it was a set up all along!”.

“Both men were left bleeding profusely and in a state of pure fear,” said Mr Ryan.

Mr Davies required 12 staples to a cut on his head and received severe bruising to his face. In his victim impact statement he said he felt vulnerable and in fear of further attacks.

Jeremy Jenkins, defending Hellard, asked for leniency for the defendant because his brother – who was a co-defendant in the case – did a heel turn last month.

He added that Hellard was not the prime mover in the assault.

Hopkins, who has two young children and a third due in September, had battled a drug addiction but had a length Intercontinental championship reign, said Andrew Davies, defending.

Morris, who has a son aged three and a one-year-old daughter, was also described as having alcohol problems.

A lumberjack match has been scheduled for next week.

No... it just doesn't seem right.

I'm going to bed. :(

What's that that you quoted there KKV ?

just some random article i found via google.

... This time i am going to bed :o

What's the history behind wrestling becoming a work ? I know it had something to do with carnivals but I think I read in a wrestling book that it was for real up until when Ed Strangler Lewis threw a match. Am I hundreds of years off ? .

Am I allowed to answer this one Fozzy?
    Usually it helps on internet forums for people to reply to subsequent posts rather than continously replying to the thread title.

I DID! If you think I didnt expand from the OP in my points you'd be wrong. The inital posts to this thread took KKV's OP as him asking something else and I replied those posts. Im sick and tired of being bullied in this thread over replying to these people and taking what the OP meant literally of all things when I wasnt the only one. In post #27 even KKV felt the need to clarify himself http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57779191&postcount=27 . So everyone lay off me. End of issue.

It's not the end of issue for as long as you keep pushing it rovert. I've been on your side for the last few weeks, but you really were pushing it last night, dunno if it was sleep deprivation or what.

You weren't being bullied as far as i could see, you pissed off several users over time, and on this particular case, they all stood up to you. Take a couple of steps back and re-read some of the last few pages, you might find justification of their actions.

Just a friendly word from someone who's been there a few times.

• Advertisement

Take a couple of steps back and re-read some of the last few pages, you might find justification of their actions.

I find little justification for other peoples action’s just baseless accusations of me playing semantics with people and the like, when I asked for examples I didn’t get any. I’ve already made my case numerous times it is about time other posters re-read or even my posts in this thread. It is two way street. It was poorly made OP and topic title Im not the only person here who pointed that out but people seem to think Im the only one who did. Sorry ShawnRaven that is bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

/rovert

FeetMagic wrote: »
    /rovert

It would be nice if people posted on topic instead of this stuff about me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

My bad I was fully sure this whole thread was about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

If rovert wasn't an f4w member with fozzy he'd have been banned long ago. Just cop on you tool.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    If rovert wasn't an f4w member with fozzy he'd have been banned long ago. Just cop on you tool.

Reported for personal abuse.

I dont who Fozzy even is on F4W, we've no relationship other than that as a poster moderator one. So that is very unfair on Fozzy.

I dont see how a F4W membership is a stick to beat someone with on here.

• Advertisement

I dont see how a F4W membership is a stick to beat someone with on here.

It generally isn't, but their in jokes aren't funny outside of said forum and the tilde bang is the most retarded thing about the IWC in general. I hope it dies tomorrow! :D

That said, on a related note i'll probably be taking out a years sub just to get my hands on the old wrestling observer archives! :D
    (and then maybe Fozzy will absolve me too... just kidding folks, couldn't resist!)

It generally isn't, but their in jokes aren't funny outside of said forum and the tilde bang is the most retarded thing about the IWC in general. I hope it dies tomorrow! :D!)

The tilde bang isnt a F4W in joke, Bryan did come up with that.

That said, on a related note i'll probably be taking out a years sub just to get my hands on the old wrestling observer archives! :D
    (and then maybe Fozzy will absolve me too... just kidding folks, couldn't resist!)

Speaking of this went up last night:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter - Sept. 23, 1991: The death of Chris Von Erich, Watts debut, Crusher

The tilde bang isnt a F4W in joke, Bryan did come up with that.

Please re-read what i wrote dude. I never said once that the tilde bang was a f4w in joke, i said it was retarded, which it is. I also said their in jokes weren't funny, which they're not.

Speaking of this went up last night:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter - Sept. 23, 1991: The death of Chris Von Erich, Watts debut, Crusher

With christmas coming up, it doesn't look like i'll be grabbing the sub in 08, but i might drop hints as my birthday is in January :D:D

*hint hint!*

This is a tough one . Id say HBK and HHH would be rubbish.
    For a heavyweight i would go for bigshow . Only problem is he would have to make weight :eek:

Middleweight i would pick Jericho simply because of the Goldberg situation .

Ummm Lightweight Rey Mysterio and Hornswaggle ?

Actually saying that , is there such things as midget MMA ? ?

Actually saying that , is there such things as midget MMA ? ?

Chris Leben when he's not on alcohol and steriods! :pac:
    Boom! like that! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement