Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Tax

Options
  • 03-11-2008 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Ok Guys,

I've a very quick question, if I import a 2006 Lexus IS220d from the UK and register it here (pay VRT etc) do I qualify for the decrease in annual tax due to the lower emissions. I'm also sure I do but I couldn't find an answer on Revenue.ie?

It's the only reason I'd import because with VRT paid, there about the same price as here, ie (10k pounds = 13k euro + 8VRT = 21k euro):o

Thanks for the help:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Nope 'fraid not!

Pre 2008 cars are on the CC based tax regime

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

from what I've read, a used car imported after the VRT changes is taxed by the new system, not the old one, so you should pay whatever tax bracket it's in under the current emissions system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

From here https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/faqs_co2_en.pdf

What about cars registered before January 2008

Cars registered before 2008, including imports, will continue to be taxed in future years
    under the existing motor tax system related to engine size. (c.c)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mairtinomarta

You pay VRT, i.e. the import tax, at new rates for all newly imported cars. However, if the newly imported car was first registered in any country before 2008, you will have to pay the yearly road tax at the old rate, i.e. based on engine cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Thanks for the replys guys, I emailed motortax people and I'll post details of the reply here when they get back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's 100% on the old system unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

daRobot wrote: »

AFAIK this is incorrect.

I thought all cars imported now (including second hand cars first registered before june 2008 in the country of origen) get the new emissions based VRT system applied, but they will still fall under the old system for road tax if they are older than June 2008.

Am no
    daRobot wrote: »
    +100000000000
    JoeySully wrote: »
    From here https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/faqs_co2_en.pdf

What about cars registered before January 2008

Cars registered before 2008, including imports, will continue to be taxed in future years
    under the existing motor tax system related to engine size. (c.c)

its in DARK black here from the place where you pay for it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

The OP's car is a 2006 and will be taxed under the old cc system

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Deary me. Stop confusing the sh1te out of the OP - you know who you are! Even those of you who have deleted their posts ;)

@OP - when you import your '06 car, you pay VRT based on the CO2 band and you pay motortax on the engine size. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nearly shot myself in the foot there with a 'fail' post, but got rid just in time when I realised it was ONLY 2008 cars that were first registered outside the state and then subsequently registered in the state that go by the new system.

Seems like older cars still use the old motortax system, although they will still use th new VRT rates.

the feckers don't make it easy do they?

EDIT: deleted old 'fail' post shooting self in foot and replaced with correct info.

P.S. YES unkel (as usual) and JoeySully are 100% correct. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

fair enough vibe666 but the op was refering to a 06 car. Thus its VRT on new system(emissions), road tax on old system(cc based).

EDIT: was posting about ur fail post.... never mind!

unkel wrote: »
    Period.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

JoeySully wrote: »
    its in DARK black here from the place where you pay for it :rolleyes:
    To be fair, that is open to the interpretation that any car registered IN THIS COUNTRY before 2008 is subject to the old system. IMO, it has confused enough people that it can reasonably be said to be UNCLEAR.

To make it clear, it should read "Cars registered (in any country) before 2008 will continue to be taxed in future years
    under the existing motor tax system related to engine size."

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Why stop there

"Irish residents owning Cars registered (in any country) for public road use before the calendar year 2008 will continue to pay motor tax in future calendar years
    under the existing Republic of Ireland motor tax system related to the engine size of the car concerned."

Clear enough? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Here is a quick way to get your head around this often confusing system: Two identical cars will pay the same annual road tax. So a 2006 car bought in Ireland would pay on the cc, as would a 2006 car imported from england and registered now. A 2008 car bought in ireland will pay on the emissions, as you would with a 2008 english import.

There is no argument about VRT as the ROS website tells you that straight-away when you fill in the details.

Advertisement