Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping "clothes collectors"

• 03-11-2008 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any advice on preventing this shower from shoving crap through the letterbox.

We have one gob****e who delights in doing it at 6:30am sometimes twice a week. We also have a dog, who has the usual reaction to somebody shoving stuff through the letterbox. Hence we get woken at 6:30am.

I've challenged him about it twice now, but he's still doing it. I've sent an email to the "company" that're running this (Viltis), but no response there. Surprise, surprise, there's no phone number on their website, and no record of them at the CRO, though they do have a VAT number. Is there any way of linking a VAT number back to an address? I'm guessing not it since it's not a company.

The guards are predictably useless, apparently I'm supposed to "keep on to the company and they'll stop" (eh... right guard, pull the other one).

I'm going to put a sign across the letterbox to see if that does anything, though I'm not holding my breath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Would it be possible to block the letter box during night hours ? Thats about all I can think of.

These people wont stop putting them in now matter how often you ask anyway, as most of these things are a scam, hence the no contact number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

If you cant block he letter box at night and I am quite sure they wont take any heed of a sticker - would you consider putting up a postbox at your gate / pier? A member of my family did this for similar reason and it works a treat - there is a lock on it so only you can take out your post etc.
    I know it probably seems like a lot of expense / effort but might be worth it in the long run.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are you searching the CRO for both business name and company name? They need to be registered before they can be vat registered i think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You could also do a WHOIS on the domain name and see who and where its registered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sully wrote: »
    You could also do a WHOIS on the domain name and see who and where its registered to.

Good thinking Sully, don't know why I didn't think of that (maybe something to do with being rudely woken up at 6:30)! It's got his home address, mobile number, and email address on the registration details, so we'll see if that turns up anything.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

JMcL wrote: »
    Good thinking Sully, don't know why I didn't think of that (maybe something to do with being rudely woken up at 6:30)! It's got his home address, mobile number, and email address on the registration details, so we'll see if that turns up anything.

Cheers
    If it doesn't just ring him at 6.30 each time you get woken up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

What use is that though? He's already up! Maybe call him at 1 a.m. when you're sure he's in the land of nod! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Let the dog loose!

Mike

That's next in line. Unfortunately it's a mobile so he can turn it off
    mike65 wrote: »
    Let the dog loose!

That's sooooo tempting, but this being Ireland, you can be damn sure that that's the point the guards would be arsed leaving their nice cosy station :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

run a very light charge from a small battery to the rim of the letterbox - that'll 'discourage' them.

(Disclaimer: I am of course joking about doing this - it would I'm sure be illegal and also your dog might get hurt by accident. As for yer man - I suffer from the same problem but it's multiple drops every week from different 'charities'. grrrrr)

(note: any old clothes etc. I have I drop straight into the oxfam on george's st - that way I know where the proceeds are going. Myself and Himself always have a little bet on whose clothes will make the window. I always win *grin*)
    xxkate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Here's a link to check out the VAT number. If it's legit it should give you the name and address of the business.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do?selectedLanguage=EN

Just had a look at one of those leaflets that was posted through my letterbox and www.viltis.eu has a valid VAT number and is registered in Dublin

deisemum wrote: »
    Here's a link to check out the VAT number. If it's legit it should give you the name and address of the business.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do?selectedLanguage=EN

Just had a look at one of those leaflets that was posted through my letterbox and www.viltis.eu has a valid VAT number and is registered in Dublin

Thanks for that. That's the shower I'm having issues with. He's a man of many addresses is our Haroldas, his whois records for his website give a Nenagh address, plus a third address in Galway mentioned on that site. I haven't contacted him yet as I want to get round to doing it from some address I don't care about spam wise, to quote from their privacy policy:
    Subjecting personal information you agree and allow for the „VILTIS-HOPE“ and other relative companies to use and order this information and data reporting you, wishing to contact you with business dealings or the „VILTIS-HOPE“ and other relative companies for the format of the inner statistics.

errr... and I opt out how?

Thanks for that. That's the shower I'm having issues with. He's a man of many addresses is our Haroldas, his whois records for his website give a Nenagh address, plus a third address in Galway mentioned on that site. I haven't contacted him yet as I want to get round to doing it from some address I don't care about spam wise, to quote from their privacy policy:

errr... and I opt out how?

Try sending a formal letter or email to each address known?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I got one landed in my door for the Cancer Research last week ... I rang them up to complain about the guy who left it in and low and behold the Cancer Research has nobody doing clothes collections for them. I rang the number on the form lots of times and no answer so i gave the form in to the local garda station! I'd never give to these organisations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did you see the programme about this on Wednesday (I think) they are breaking no laws. Shockingly enough, I'd have thought it as good as fraud but as no money changes hands - you are giving clothes away it seem they are in the clear.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I never noticed these things until I moved into my own house, but jaysus we get around 10 a week in Portarlington :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I moved to a small village and thought it would be better but its actually worse. What confusing they are putting them in the letter box's of supposedly poor areas of Limerick City. Those are the people who need the bloody clothes some of the time!!

He calls into my house at between 4-5am once a week. I walked out my front door and put it back on his windscreen of his van as he was up the road at the other houses. I should moved his van actually come to think of it.

Remeber, if it does not have a registered charity number its not a charity. I will not give clothes to anybody who puts something in my letter box.

I will only give my clothes to a shop in the city like goal or oxfam or similar. I wont even put them in the clothes bins because I have witnessed them breaking into one. Called the Gardai, they never turned up on time of course!!

What Im noticing now is that they are coming in with the postman in between other things like perlico and sky stuff. They must be registered and paying for the privledge because my postman would not be doing it. I know him.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Living in Drogheda and get a couple of these during the week, usually at 3 in the morning.

I walked out my front door and put it back on his windscreen of his van as he was up the road at the other houses.

Hope you removed the backing paper first!
    Called the Gardai, they never turned up on time of course!!

You mean they actually bothered their arse to turn up at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

You mean they actually bothered their arse to turn up at all?

Yay, another relevant Garda bashing comment. Hope it made at least you laugh.

Just wondering if somebody should set something up to stop people being freely able to give you such spam through your letterbox. Like in your email!! Hmmm ..... I live in a private estate, with codes on the gates, god knows how the feckers get into my letterbox, but they still do ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Even with a locked gate I get them in the letterbox. They seem to jump the walls door to door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RORUS

Hello, great to find somebody in the same boat. Okay it isn't illegal what they are doing in the bye-laws because you have a letterbox it is not illegal for anybody to put something it when ever they want. You need to do a couple of things. Sorry, I'm assuming your in Dublin City Council district. You need to make a report with the garda by going down to your loacal station in person and everytime after they place something in your letterbox at this time. Call the garda at the time and ask them to issue an ASBO Anti Social Behaviour Order. Not, a very strong form of legal action but something at least and the individuals can be identified. Secondly, you need to contact Bernie Lillis in Dublin City Council Ph: 01-2224243 she is the Senior Staff Officer for Litter. Ask her how she can help with the situation. If she says she can't ask her to send out a written reason why the council can't do anything about it. When you get this reply from her take this to your local councillors or TDs along with your police report and ask them do something about it. Remember, they need your vote. After that tell any friends or neighbours to do the same if they have the same problem. Your not on your own. Personally, I couldn't give a damn about the so-call charities or what they do. But, they interfere with my sleep, that's a serious problem for me. STAY STRONG. We can defeat these f@ckers with people power:mad:

Anybody got any advice on preventing this shower from shoving crap through the letterbox.

We have one gob****e who delights in doing it at 6:30am sometimes twice a week. We also have a dog, who has the usual reaction to somebody shoving stuff through the letterbox. Hence we get woken at 6:30am.

I've challenged him about it twice now, but he's still doing it. I've sent an email to the "company" that're running this (Viltis), but no response there. Surprise, surprise, there's no phone number on their website, and no record of them at the CRO, though they do have a VAT number. Is there any way of linking a VAT number back to an address? I'm guessing not it since it's not a company.

The guards are predictably useless, apparently I'm supposed to "keep on to the company and they'll stop" (eh... right guard, pull the other one).

I'm going to put a sign across the letterbox to see if that does anything, though I'm not holding my breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

so if we have a postal address for the owner of the company responsible can we not post them back without including a stamp and they will have to pay for the postage, or is that just too unrealistic.

in my case I recently moved my letterbox to the back of the gate pillar and the people dropping these leaflets don't see the box and just throw them on my door step at which point they become litter I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RORUS

Well, best of luck finding the return address. However, and I don't want to count my chickens too early. I haven't got any stickers in the door early morning for almost 2 weeks now. Which is the last time I called the Gardai at 4am in the morning to ask them to issue an ASBO. So, maybe just maybe the message got through, I'm actually quite worried about them now. Oh well!
    old gregg wrote: »
    so if we have a postal address for the owner of the company responsible can we not post them back without including a stamp and they will have to pay for the postage, or is that just too unrealistic.

in my case I recently moved my letterbox to the back of the gate pillar and the people dropping these leaflets don't see the box and just throw them on my door step at which point they become litter I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

RORUS wrote: »
    Well, best of luck finding the return address. However, and I don't want to count my chickens too early. I haven't got any stickers in the door early morning for almost 2 weeks now. Which is the last time I called the Gardai at 4am in the morning to ask them to issue an ASBO. So, maybe just maybe the message got through, I'm actually quite worried about them now. Oh well!

do you think it worth lashing off a few to:
    63C Carrig Rua, Gortlandroe, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 deise girlie

I tried a lot of the suggestions above as I was getting visits at all hours of the nights. 1.I approached the guy (he just shrugged and walked off) 2. Taped my letter box (they put them under my wipers and broke the wiper twice) 3.Shut my garden gates (they left sticking out of the gate and the sticker ended up on the ground usually due to weather) 4. Wrote the company a cease and desist letter on the guards advice (ignored) 5. Queried the "waste collection permits" with the relevant county councils (advised to write a letter) 6. Wrote letter to county council (got reply that they had tried to chase these guys before and weren't bothered doing it again even though the permits are fraudulant)

The moral of the story is .. either grin and bear it or release the dog.

The guards have advised that in a lot of these cases they are actually sussing out houses for break ins. Doors locked, working shifts, dogs etc which is why they do it at all hours. So if you are getting increased numbers of these in the door be vigilant just to be on the safe side and that dog barking might be a positive :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I know a few people who got the message through to these people by using their bags as rubbish bags and used to leave them out beside or on top of the wheelie bin.. after a week or two of them seeing their bags full of rubbish they realised they werent gonna get anything and stopped dropping the bags in the letter box..

Might be worth a try.. :D

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

She Devil wrote: »
    Yay, another relevant Garda bashing comment. Hope it made at least you laugh.

Whats wrong with Garda bashing She Devil ;) are you dating one or something............. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement