Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photoshoot..

• 03-11-2008 9:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to try to organise a glamour photo shoot for my girlfriend as a christmas present... she has told me a few times over the last couple of months that it was something she would like to do at some stage in the future.

I have looked online at the gifts sites, but was hoping that someone here either got one as a present, bought one for someone as a present or has checked into them and can let me know what they thought was the good and the bad ones.

I was looking at this one on TopGifts but was wondering if there was a better one out there...

I have thought about going to a photographer directly but wasn't sure if they would be able to organise the outfits and hairstyling or not?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Moved from LL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There's a lot to do for a shoot like that. Getting stylist and makeup can be a difficult one. The Topgifts shoot does look quite good, and I don't think it's over-priced.

I'm not sure that I've seen any for Dublin though.

On a slight side topic - saw this online, which always makes you think hard about "glamour" shoots - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=586533

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Paulw wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I've seen any for Dublin though.

On a slight side topic - saw this online, which always makes you think hard about "glamour" shoots - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=586533
    Some read that.
    I think he should be ok though, the Cab driver witness should be key.
    Although obviously the hassle/loss of work earnings and worry are not exactly what he needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Keep to the topic lads, you're more than welcome to discuss drunken, voided contracts in a seperate thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

God that took a while to read..... Thats my kinda luck!

Hmm, I heard about the top gift, haven't seen it though. You could organise it your self. I mean you could choose a photographer, then a make up artist and hair dresser. Book a few hours with a photographer either in a studio or on location such as a fancy hotel. My cousin works as a smash box make up artist which is specially designed for photography and film and she charges 75euro for make up, now this would be once, if you wanted her for a couple of hours on shoot to touch up etc it may cost more. Then you arrange for a stylist to either do her hair beforehand or be there to change it, but I reckon you would be good for getting her hair done before, gor a glamour shot you'd be talking maybe a few clip in extensions and ghd curls or back combing, an easy enough thing wouldnt cost more than maybe 80- euro imo. I know one photographer that works shooting models but you'd be going pricy there, you could possible even check out a few photographers here, you'd get a good deal too.

Sure if you need details of the make up artist give me a shout and I'll send them on. Oh also, if you want varied shots you should arrange to have a couple of different outfits too for the shoot and make sure your girlfriend meets the photographer beforehand to make sure she is comfortable with them and they know exactly what she wants if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Paulw wrote: »
    This one would be entirely above board.. she has always wanted to get some nice shots taken by a photographer - her friend got it done about two years ago and she loves the shots so I figure its exactly right for her.. hopefully nothing like that though! :p
    You could organise it your self. I mean you could choose a photographer, then a make up artist and hair dresser. Book a few hours with a photographer either in a studio or on location such as a fancy hotel.

I thought about contacting a photographer alright who would be more local to her, but I'm a little undecided about it just yet.. I figure that makeup would cost something around the Eur50 mark (she always prefers to use her own makeup), I'm not sure about the photographer.. how much would I be budgeting for this part for say a 2 hours shoot? The hair would be the wildcard.. if there are to be a few styles then it could be a long thing but we went to awedding recently and she was delighted with the job she got done for something around Eur70.

Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fashionstylist

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to try to organise a glamour photo shoot for my girlfriend as a christmas present... she has told me a few times over the last couple of months that it was something she would like to do at some stage in the future.

I have looked online at the gifts sites, but was hoping that someone here either got one as a present, bought one for someone as a present or has checked into them and can let me know what they thought was the good and the bad ones.

I was looking at this one on TopGifts but was wondering if there was a better one out there...

I have thought about going to a photographer directly but wasn't sure if they would be able to organise the outfits and hairstyling or not?

Thanks
    Hi, I am an image and fashion stylist based in galway, there are loads of photographers that work with models and regular people occassionally to do shoots like this for a great price. Try Paul at http://www.pflanaganphoto.com he's great, tell him i sent you and let him know what you want, if he cant do it he can forward you on info of someone who can but im sure he will.

Good Luck,
    Jade

I thought about contacting a photographer alright who would be more local to her, but I'm a little undecided about it just yet.. I figure that makeup would cost something around the Eur50 mark (she always prefers to use her own makeup), I'm not sure about the photographer.. how much would I be budgeting for this part for say a 2 hours shoot? The hair would be the wildcard.. if there are to be a few styles then it could be a long thing but we went to awedding recently and she was delighted with the job she got done for something around Eur70.

Thanks guys!

Where are you? Galway, Dublin, etc?

When you start to add up the individual bits - makeup, hair, photographer, studio, etc, then I do think that the Topgifts package is a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

(she always prefers to use her own makeup),
    Thanks guys!

Just a pointer here, conventional makeup has nothing to do with the makeup used for these shoots..

And "no" I dont wear makeup ! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks for the link Jade, I'll consider it for sure.

She is based in Waterford, and doesn't drive so it'll be part of her present to get a night/weekend away somewhere.. if it means Galway/Dublin etc I don't mind, as long as I can get an idea of a good photographer.

I have to say though I think the TopGifts idea seems to be working the best at present though...

Thanks

• Advertisement

My concern about the Topgifts one, is that you only get a single 12x8 print. Any other prints are likely to be quite expensive.

In saying that, your girlfriend will probably have a brilliant time - hair, makeup, shoot, etc ... as well as a nice weekend away with you.

Best of luck with your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Hey there, I did a bit of work (outside Topgifts) with one of the Topgifts lads last Christmas and can vouch for it being a great day for anyone involved. It's also very organised and includes everything as far as I know, so it's fairly hassle free. A close friend recently sent her mother to a "makeover" shoot and she had a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Hiya sent you a pm with a girls perspective hope you dont mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 martin the photographer

why not try get a photographer who is upgrading his portfolio to do it for you in exchange for the use of prints with your approval

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

iZombie.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement