Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenters price for laying floor

Options
  • 03-11-2008 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi

Just recieved a price from 2 carpenters for laying 50sqm (60sq yards) of solid ash on Elastilon to a dining room and living room. One was 1350 and the other 1250 cash... thi price excludes leveling which i would do myself in some parts, its pretty good overall though.
    Is this the norm, or are these guys taking the proverbial.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hi

Just recieved a price from 2 carpenters for laying 50sqm (60sq yards) of solid ash on Elastilon to a dining room and living room. One was 1350 and the other 1250 cash... thi price excludes leveling which i would do myself in some parts, its pretty good overall though.

I would charge around 20euro sqm for solid

15 euro for semi and 10euro for laminate.

thats would be the going rate around Naas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stej

Hi

I am sure that u can find more cheaper.Give a shot if u need a good flooring fitter.

stej wrote: »
    I am sure that u can find more cheaper.Give a shot if u need a good flooring fitter.

find more cheaper
    give a shot if ya need a good flooring fitter?

Beware of the cheap lads corkonian . Get refs and make sure they guarantee there work. floors can go horribly wrong if not done correctly.

A qualified Carpenter or registered flooring company are the safest choices

• Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gsxr1 wrote: »

Out of interest, why the difference in prices depending on the flooring?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Out of interest, why the difference in prices depending on the flooring?

solid timber is more expensive . the fitting cost is higher as well. There tends to be more risk from cupping and expansion. Its usually comes in smaller pieces also make it more time consuming.

Long semi planks can fitted very quickly in comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

solid timber is more expensive . the fitting cost is higher as well. There tends to be more risk from cupping and expansion. Its usually comes in smaller pieces also make it more time consuming.

Long semi planks can fitted very quickly in comparison

Yeah I knew the base price would be more just didnt figure on the installation price being more also.
    Didnt realise the lengths would be that different.
    Cheers for the info.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yeah I knew the base price would be more just didnt figure on the installation price being more also.
    Didnt realise the lengths would be that different.
    Cheers for the info.

it can come in big long and wide plank lengths also. Depends on the budget.

but I found most peeps buying solid now go for the Oak shorter lengths recently.

I avoid wide plank floors . they can end in tears if any moister gets near them. Usually from concrete that has not fully dried

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

i reckon a shot is the best thing to give most of the cowboys..........
    you get what u pay for, always insist on seeing a floor that the carpenter put down LAST year. Proves two things, one that the floor is still ok, and two, that the carpenter is still around.

As an afterthought substitute 'floor fitter' for 'carpenter' above ......a good roofing carpenter may not make a nice job of your solid walnut floor.

hjsimpson wrote: »
    i reckon a shot is the best thing to give most of the cowboys..........
    you get what u pay for, always insist on seeing a floor that the carpenter put down LAST year. Proves two things, one that the floor is still ok, and two, that the carpenter is still around.

As an afterthought substitute 'floor fitter' for 'carpenter' above ......a good roofing carpenter may not make a nice job of your solid walnut floor.

In all farenass. Do you think it would be a bit odd to call at an old clients door a year later, so a new customer can inspect there floor.

some may insist , but I have never been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V Drozd Fanclub

Hi,

Forgive what's probably a stupid question but what's better in a sitting room and bedroom - solid or semi solid or laminate?

And also, re price is there a certain level you shouldn't go below in order to ensure you're not getting very poor quality?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Forgive what's probably a stupid question but what's better in a sitting room and bedroom - solid or semi solid or laminate?

And also, re price is there a certain level you shouldn't go below in order to ensure you're not getting very poor quality?

some laminates or as expensive as soild. A good laminate is very hard wearing.

But personally. I prefare glued down soild in the living room Feels the best underfoot. A floating semi or lamite feels less soild. .

In the bedrooms. what ever suits your price range. Since they are low traffic areas, there is no need to spend a fortune on high quality stuff.
    But its all down to preferance.

as for prices. I dont know.
    I would not do it for anything less than the above price. Its dam hard work. Any good chippy or floorlayers wont drop to low. They should be bizzy. with no need to drop. Im flat out personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 V Drozd Fanclub

some laminates or as expensive as soild. A good laminate is very hard wearing.

But personally. I prefare glued down soild in the living room Feels the best underfoot. A floating semi or lamite feels less soild. .

In the bedrooms. what ever suits your price range. Since they are low traffic areas, there is no need to spend a fortune on high quality stuff.
    But its all down to preferance.

as for prices. I dont know.
    I would not do it for anything less than the above price. Its dam hard work. Any good chippy or floorlayers wont drop to low. They should be bizzy. with no need to drop. Im flat out personally.

Cheers gsxr1, appreciate the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mwaters

Hey,

I'm living in Saggart and bought laminate floors a few weeks ago in B&Q. We laid the floor in the sitting room ourselves but it took ages and we still have to do the hall and perhaps 2 bedrooms. Any idea of anyone around my location who can do a good job of laying laminate floors at a reasonable price? Any idea of pricing would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this kind of stuff... Our hall is about 8sq metres (still to look into bedroom sizes etc).

Kind regards,

mwaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Is that labour only or does it include materials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bec76

mwaters wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm living in Saggart and bought laminate floors a few weeks ago in B&Q. We laid the floor in the sitting room ourselves but it took ages and we still have to do the hall and perhaps 2 bedrooms. Any idea of anyone around my location who can do a good job of laying laminate floors at a reasonable price? Any idea of pricing would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this kind of stuff... Our hall is about 8sq metres (still to look into bedroom sizes etc).

Kind regards,

mwaters.

Maurice Dore 086 3430927 - hard working bloke, does a good job and charges reasonable rates. Did my folks floors and sister-in laws ... I am sure they would give him good references, and I think he gave a few more references to my SIL.

Advertisement