Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and they said pc gaming was dead

Options
  • 03-11-2008 11:38am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A few months back i seem to recall every gaming website carrying the news that certain developers were claiming pc gaming is dead or about to die.
    Well i dont know about you guys but its a few years since there are so many new games on the market right now or about to enter the market that i really want.

recently released or due soon that im interested in

WOW expansion wrath of the lich king,Fallout3,Dead Space,red alert3,brothers in arms3 [hells highway], COD world at war,Fifa 09,Left for Dead,LOTRO mines of moria,

Recently bought warhammer online and Far cry2
    Im subscribing to WOW and iracing.com at the moment.
    If only i had time to warrant a purchase of all these games :)

They said pc gaming was dead :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I just got fallout3 and ra3 and will be getting L4D and WaW. I agree with the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The PC sections in any games store has dwarfed in size, I actually thought they removed it altogether as it was so hard to find! :D

But there are some games that are just made for PC, Games like C&C :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

as much as id love to agree with you, most of the games you mentioned are multi-format and a multi-format where the console was the targat platform.
    Infact I have fallout 3 on PC (brillant game btw) and I can log into my xboxlive profile and get the achievements for the 360... if you look at my sig it even looks like I was playing it on the 360 rather then the PC.

for a true "PC only" style game, is anyone playing x3 the terran conflict? picked that up in at the weekend, x3 was a great game so hopefully this will atleast match that :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah i realise a lot are multi format but i can still play them on my pc,its still pc gaming.
    Also you dont see many pc games in retail stores because the vast majority of pc gamers buy games online or via digital distribution plus you rarely see pc games of more than 6 months old left on the shelves where as you see ancient console titles on the shelves.
    Its funny that the very developers that were sayting pc gaming is dead are the very same developers whos latest titles were total crap ie the developers of unreal tournament who came outt and said pc gaming was dead.
    Its as if they think to themselves - how dare pc gamers dislike our project , the only reason has to be pc gaming is dead.
    It all stinks of a kneejerk reaction to their flops.

I for one love pc gaming,i also love console gaming,theres room for both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dcully wrote: »
    I for one love pc gaming,i also love console gaming,theres room for both :)

Course there's room for both, but developers have gotten lazy (or are pushed by publishers) and aren't putting enough effort in2 new games for pc. They're being made for consoles & ported, or they're re-skinning an old game, giving you 2 new guns and calling it a new game.

Of the few I've played recently. here's my thoughts:
    COD-WAW: nothing new here, its a mod for COD4, Lame IMO
    Fallout3: I'll probably get slated for this, but IMO its just Oblivion in a new skin with a few tweaks, nothing new here
    Dead Space: Built for consoles, no thought went in2 pc version at all
    Stalker-Clear Sky: Remake of older game, few graphics tweaks, full of bugs, not finished IMO and impossible to play its so buggy
    Crysis-Warhead: Its Crysis without the annoying bits and slightly toned down graphics to make it run better, no 64bit version for this one therefore unfinished IMO as the 64bit version of the first one runs much better on my pc
    FarCry 2: nice engine, good effort went in2 this, but its got some annoying features, respawning etc, not finished IMO, there was talk of predatory animals before release, where?

Pc gamers are getting shafted

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Fallout3: I'll probably get slated for this, but IMO its just Oblivion in a new skin with a few tweaks, nothing new here

ah come on now...
    its for more then just new skins and tweaks

but yeah, everything else you said was true, especially about cod5 or cod:waw or what ever they are going to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

PC gaming is great as always. Nothing else to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm hoping that Far Cry will get a decent patch to fix some of the more annoying aspects of it. Isn't one of the advantages of the PC that there are more patches then on consoles? or has that changed?

Does anyone use a 360 pad with there PC? I've tried it with different games and it works well with some (Dead Space), but I can't customise the buttons. Has anyone been able to do this?

grizzly wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Far Cry will get a decent patch to fix some of the more annoying aspects of it. Isn't one of the advantages of the PC that there are more patches then on consoles? or has that changed?

Does anyone use a 360 pad with there PC? I've tried it with different games and it works well with some (Dead Space), but I can't customise the buttons. Has anyone been able to do this?
    well consoles now get patches aswell but not as frequent as PCs it would seem.

I have the wired 360 controller and it works well on the PC, only used it for pro evo. Cant speak for dead space, but I was certainly able to configure the buttons for pro evo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I have the wired 360 controller and it works well on the PC, only used it for pro evo. Cant speak for dead space, but I was certainly able to configure the buttons for pro evo.

By default, all games released under the banner "Games for Windows" have to support the 360 controller amongst other things. I've played dead space on the PC and it does natively support the 360 controller (have a wireless one myself) in that you will get prompts for 360 buttons and not keyboard keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I've played dead space on the PC and it does natively support the 360 controller (have a wireless one myself) in that you will get prompts for 360 buttons and not keyboard keys.

Yeah, I noticed that, thought it was a nice touch.

The only trouble I've had is that I can't find the jump in zero-g button on the pad. On the keyboard it's the ctrl (which also does the "bread-crumb" beam when not aiming). This should be right stick press on the pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Besides the console ports, there are some excellent niche titles for PC only, particularly if you are into simulations, such as:

*Flight Simulator X and the massive amount of add-ons
    *All the recent releases from Simbin - Race 07, GTR Evo, STCC etc
    *Black Shark helicopter combat sim due out very soon
    *X3 Space sim as pointed out above

not forgetting all the RTS titles such as Supreme Commander and Medieval Total War.

PC owners also benefit from the supporting hardware including joysticks (Saitek X52 anyone?), TrackIR and force feedback wheels.

PC gaming is still very much alive - it's in the interests of Nvidia, ATI, Intel and Microsoft to keep it that way!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

*All the recent releases from Simbin - Race 07, GTR Evo, STCC etc

How dare you not mention the king of sims mate :)www.iracing.com
    it's in the interests of Nvidia, ATI, Intel and Microsoft to keep it that way

Probably the single most important point in this whole debate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll give the same answer to the question "Is pc gaming dead" as i gave last time.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well. lets look at blizzard lads.
    Starcraft2
    WoW series
    Red alerst3
    Diablo3

Thats only pc games, which are just great.

And pc gaming will newer die, becouse it has great platform for mmorpgs. Which are biggest money sinks.

Pc gaming FTW.

p.s. FPS/RTS are made for keyboard+mouse. End of story!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Ive been wondering if this has anything to do with

The Price of PC games V's Console games

or

The ease of PC piracy V's the moderately more difficult Conslole piracy

Darwin wrote: »
    not forgetting all the RTS titles such as Supreme Commander and Medieval Total War.

and Empire: Total War will be out in February!!! :eek: finally proper naval combat

Also despite the negative drm feedback, spore still sold well and the first (of many...) addons is on the way plus the sims 3 will be out next year. I havnt been keeping up to date but im sure EA will have another battlefield game out for the PC too at some point, a true battlefield sequel to bf2 :)
    so you answer your question, no PC gaming is not dead

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When the PC scene dies, people will still be making mods for the games.

Looking forward to Mechwarrior Living Legends, a total conversion mod for Crysis.

Has there ever been a mod made for any of the consoles?

Advertisement