Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Coal/Briquettes/Blocks Thread

Options
  • 03-11-2008 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Similar to the petrol thread where is the cheapest coal/briquettes/blocks in the Waterford area? I realise that only smokeless fuel can be bought within the city environs but many places outside the city sell the proper stuff.

Could we compile a list of outlets selling all or some of the above and compare prices?

O' Brien's Spar Priory St. New Ross

Polish Coal 40kg €16.50
    Bale of Briquettes €3.50
    Blocks N/A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Neither of these locations are in Waterford City

Polish Coal €12.50 Centra Piltown

Easy Burn logs are cheapest in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

trishw78 wrote: »
    Neither of these locations are in Waterford City

Polish Coal €12.50 Centra Piltown

Easy Burn logs are cheapest in Woodies.

What size bag is the coal? A 40kg bag is the largest one - stands about 1m high

I should have said that I'm aware that coal cannot be bought in the city but I'm looking for prices in the surrounding areas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Coal cannot be bought in the city? Eh?...wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

im sure you would get them in leamy fuels at the back of the garda station

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Certain types of coal you cant buy in the City to prevent against smog or the likes. I think its smoky coal or something? :S

• Advertisement

Coal cannot be bought in the city? Eh?...wha?

You can legally only buy smokeless coal in the city due to the problems with smog. It is illegal for any outlet to sell "proper" coal i.e Polish but it is legal to burn if it you so wish

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Doubt this thread will be as successful as the Petrol thread OP - this type of request would not be done on a weekly basis and its hard to keep a track as people have their own suppliers and probably don't change a huge amount. I would imagine its probably commonly known what retailer would be generally cheaper for this compared to others though, so maybe some suggestions on that might help. :)

it's a 40Kg bag

trishw78 wrote: »
    it's a 40Kg bag

That's a steal - a whole €4 cheaper than in New Ross and over €5 cheaper than the co-op in Kilmeaden!

yeap they only seem to have a limited stock of maybe 4 or five bags and they don't have them everyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Whats the best type of coal to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 westbiogroup

Try West Bio Group as they have the best quality and cheapest prices for all solid fuels ranging from Kindling, Firewood, Coal to BBQ Charcoal including bottled Gas and Water.
    West Bio Group are based in Loughrea, Co.Galway and on the Naas Road, Dublin.

10Kg Bitumen Polish Coal € 4.00
    10 x Turf Briquettes € 35.00
    Etc, Etc.....

See the website for more information : www.westbiogroup.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

All this talk of coal has me longing to light the fire, with a log or two on top.

Langan fuels old kilmeaden rd is where I get mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭raymark

tonc76 wrote: »
    Similar to the petrol thread where is the cheapest coal/briquettes/blocks in the Waterford area? I realise that only smokeless fuel can be bought within the city environs but many places outside the city sell the proper stuff.

Could we compile a list of outlets selling all or some of the above and compare prices?

O' Brien's Spar Priory St. New Ross

Polish Coal 40kg €16.50
    Bale of Briquettes €3.50
    Blocks N/A
    am looking for comparison in price of coal, wood, smokeless coal, anthracite, bricquettes etc in waterford.would appreciate anyone s input.thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭horse7

is it too late to get an update on 40kg polish coal within 12miles of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

horse7 wrote: »
    is it too late to get an update on 40kg polish coal within 12miles of dublin.

Horse your in the wrong field...

How would ppl in Waterford know the cheapest coal within 12 miles of Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Funfair wrote: »
    Horse your in the wrong field...

How would ppl in Waterford know the cheapest coal within 12 miles of Dublin :D

How about the cheapest price in Waterford then? Any takers there?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

reni10 wrote: »
    How about the cheapest price in Waterford then? Any takers there?

Theres a place out the tramore rd, across from halfway house.
    40kg coal 11.50, Buy 10 get 1 free .
    Amazing value

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Theres a place out the tramore rd, across from halfway house.
    40kg coal 11.50, Buy 10 get 1 free .
    Amazing value

Absolute ****e coal though, I got a bag of it a few weeks back and I had as much left in the fire the following morning, it just didn't burn through at all.

I've tried quite a few different types at this stage, the best by far is the colombian coal, which is €16 per bag from friends of the earth, they have only recently moved out to a warehouse behind Witfield Clinic.This coal mixed with a bag of Super Heat for €13 I think, is a fantastic combination. If I had to find a fault in this though it would be that it burns very quick.

At the moment I am burning Premium Polish Coal €15, mixed with a bag of Doubles €14.50 per bag from Ferrybank Fuels, they too have recently moved premises, they are located in Mullinabro now,out past Waterford Golf Club for those who are unsure where it is. I am finding this coal very good, not as hot as the colombian but it seems to last a good bit longer.

With regards to blocks, I am using blocks I purchased from a guy in Tallow, He delivers to Waterford City every friday and charges €50 for 20 bags, he also does bags of turf, to be honest, Id say I got about 16 full bags when I went through the bags after they had left, and when I say full bags I talking about 16-20 blocks per bag, still works out very good value. I got his number from one of the local papers, if anyone want his number feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Buylo had 3 bales of briquettes for €10 last week when i was in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

All this talk of coal has me longing to light the fire, with a log or two on top.

Langan fuels old kilmeaden rd is where I get mine

Am using the Polish Doubles from Langans at the moment, €13 for a 40kg bag.
    There was a voucher on the front of last weeks Waterford Today for a free 20kg bag of slack with any 2 bags of coal purchased.

Am getting blocks from a guy out past Irishs pub on the Kilkenny road, only €3 for a massive bag!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

Am getting blocks from a guy out past Irishs pub on the Kilkenny road, only €3 for a massive bag!!

sounds good
    where exactly is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Logs ffs don't talk to me about logs, do they store them in a water tank?Nobody in this country seems to know about seasoning timber, all the so called firewood available is drowned wet, has not been seasoned at all, buy the bag of logs in Lidl and see the difference, they are light cos no or very little water they burn well, admittedly fast but give off huge heat.
    three rules about burning timber
    1.it must be dry
    2.it must be dry
    3,it must be dry

fudark wrote: »
    sounds good
    where exactly is that?

Take the 1st left after Irish's pub and then the 1st right on that road. He's just a bit up the way.

As I said he's €3 a bag and I think he does a trailer of blocks for €40

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Dunphy's Cork Rd have a bag of Turf (20kg I'm guessing)for €6, better then any briquettes and burns all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fudark

Take the 1st left after Irish's pub and then the 1st right on that road. He's just a bit up the way.

sorry for being ignorant. where's Irish's pub? :)

If you pass the Red Bridge service station and head out the old road to kilkenny, you'll pass the Nightcap on the left, Fogarty motors on your right and a couple of miles further there's a little white country pub called Irish's on your left, the turn for the block man is just after that pub!

If you pass the Red Bridge service station and head out the old road to kilkenny, you'll pass the Nightcap on the left, Fogarty motors on your right and a couple of miles further there's a little white country pub called Irish's on your left, the turn for the block man is just after that pub!

And you weren't ignorant :)
    Silly me just assumed everyone would know lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Am using the Polish Doubles from Langans at the moment, €13 for a 40kg bag.
    There was a voucher on the front of last weeks Waterford Today for a free 20kg bag of slack with any 2 bags of coal purchased.

What are doubles and is the slack good?

I'm fed up of ornamental coal not giving out much heat.

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »
    What are doubles and is the slack good?

I'm fed up of ornamental coal not giving out much heat.

Doubles are just smaller lumps of polish coal, but seems to burn longer and give more heat than the normal stuff if that makes sense!

Have only used the slack to bank down the fire one night, kept the heat in it, but was a right mess to clean out the next day so havent bothered with it since

Advertisement