Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Excellent Race report as usual Krusty... Well done again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I took the lead from about 1.5kms, not as a direct challenge, but more because myself and dna_leri were stronger than the rest of the field, and then dna_leri dropped off the pace slightly on the uphill climb, so it was less of a conscious effort, and more because I had the uphill climbing in the legs. Having never been in this situation before, I imagined a challenge at every twist and turn in the road, but I only looked back a couple of times. I really didn't want to see any other runners breathing down my neck, having opened a gap so early. In the end I finished well, with about 20-30 seconds on dna_leri and the next couple of runners were within a minute. Still buzzing!

Hi Krusty - well done again. I think you (humbly) over-state the challenge me or anyone else gave you. You were out on your own as soon as you wanted to be and I'm sure could have knocked a minute of your time if pushed. I predict more podium finishes to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fair play , is roscommon back in the good books for the races then ?
    nothin more satisfying for the day then a number one spot in the race , long awaited , well deserved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Krusty and appreciate the time taken to put up another superb report. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great win KC and long overdue. I felt as if running that race myself with that mighty account.
    I must search the web for photos of you crossing the line and I d bet you'll have a silly grin on your face.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seres wrote: »
    fair play , is roscommon back in the good books for the races then ?
    nothin more satisfying for the day then a number one spot in the race , long awaited , well deserved :)
    Come back Roscommon, all is forgiven! Seriously though, if they sent these guys out to Strokestown for the Bog-trotters, it'd be in good hands. Nothing left up to chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Congrats on your first win KC. Hopefully it's the first of many. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

T runner wrote: »
    Youll be a year meaner, leaner and keener next year

He'll be yet another year older next year. :cool:
    Congratulations Krusty, I'm green with envy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done Krusty .

Abhainn wrote: »
    I must search the web for photos of you crossing the line and I d bet you'll have a silly grin on your face.:)
    Photographers lining every corner. Hopefully they'll get posted somewhere, but the race doesn't have a big online presence. I'll be keeping an eye out for the Roscommon Herald. They posted a photo of myself and the missus last Christmas after the Goal mile, even though I didn't run it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

He'll be yet another year older next year. :cool:
    Congratulations Krusty, I'm green with envy.

Thats an advantage when youre improving every year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congratulations Krusty ! Great race on what sounds like a tough course. Now you've got the taste .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

pgibbo wrote: »
    Congrats on your first win KC. Hopefully it's the first of many. :cool:

Yep, and he has now moved up on lots of people "to beat list" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done Krusty, fantasic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great to hear of your win. Well deserved and as ever a riveting race report. After doing WWR leg 7 5 times or so over that no. of weeks it must have been a relief to 'only' have to race 10k.

Just some other bits and pieces over the last few days:
    Friday: 5 mile steady lunch-time run, @7:13/mile, HR=138
    Saturday: 10k easy run with strides, @7:31/mile.
    Sunday: Warm-down: 1.5 miles, and recovery run: 4 miles
    Monday: Lunch-time 5 mile easy recovery run

Today: 7 mile lunchtime run in Corkagh Park
    Started out as a recovery run on the grass, however, over the course of the first three miles the body (legs) loosened up, and naturally picked up the pace a little, so I went with the flow, before easing up for a final recovery mile. Really enjoying the easy runs in Corkagh these days, surrounded (and dive-bombed) by the swallows and occasional rabbits. I reckon the swallows fly loops around runners because we scare-up the insects out of the grass. Even saw a heron in flight (a breed which absurdly seems to be getting bad press at the moment for doing what comes naturally to it). A nice run despite three seasons of weather.

Summary: 7 miles in 53 mins, @7:36/mile, HR=137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done on the win KC, you'll smash your 10k PB soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Even saw a heron in flight (a breed which absurdly seems to be getting bad press at the moment for doing what comes naturally to it).

Herons are carnivores(sp?) ? And ducklings ... that's a little too close species-wise to leave me entirely comfortable. (I'm vegetarian btw).

On topic: I re read your rr as I had been struck by a thought and wanted to see if I was right. So on your way to victory you where chatting away for the first mile of a tough 10k. I find that amazing ... if I did that in a 10k there'd be ambulances involved soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Krusty. Excellent report. Is it weird that I'm proud of a guy from the internet that I've never met?:)

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Herons are carnivores(sp?) ? And ducklings ... that's a little too close species-wise to leave me entirely comfortable. (I'm vegetarian btw).

On topic: I re read your rr as I had been struck by a thought and wanted to see if I was right. So on your way to victory you where chatting away for the first mile of a tough 10k. I find that amazing ... if I did that in a 10k there'd be ambulances involved soon after.
    Well when you meet another Boards poster for the first time, sure you'd have to be sociable. :) It was the first km of the race and we were just settling in (on the hill!). The conversation died soon after that. No need for an ambulance. Sure wasn't there a squad car always 150m ahead of me?!

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done Krusty. Excellent report. Is it weird that I'm proud of a guy from the internet that I've never met?:)
    Very weird. :)

Today: 10.5 mile morning hilly run
    After a 15 hour work day yesterday, I took a few hours off this morning, and decided to get a medium length run done with the free time available. Having eaten my dinner at 1:30am the previous night, I was pre-fuelled and ready to go at 8:30am. A lovely hilly route, particularly at this early part of the morning with no-one about. This is such a great route; I reckon if you ran it four times a week, you wouldn't need a marathon training program! Achilles a little stiff and took a while to loosen up, so I reckon a rest day is required, but when?! Toying with the idea of running the St Cocas 5k on Friday night as I don't think a MacMillan interval session would be a good idea this week, and a more competitive race will re-align my personal perspective back to reality once more. My last 5k was a couple of years ago, so guaranteed a PB, even if I took it handy, but running it at my planned 10k pace would serve a good purpose.

Summary: 10.5 miles in 1:21, @7:46, HR=137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Savage race KC, well done!! The report is a great read and very inspirational! :)

Today: 8 Mile easy run in Corkagh Park
    Another couple of long work days so figured a long lunch break was in order, and instead of running the usual 5 or 6 miles at lunch-time, stayed out in the sunshine for a couple more. Wondering if I'll be able to run my 15 mile mid-week runs at lunch-time when marathon training starts. I have an understanding boss, but that could be pulling the pi$$. Still, it would rock..

Summary: 8 miles in 63 mins, @7:53/mile, HR=~133

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Congratulations on the win! It really was only a matter of where and when with the form you are in this year and I don't think you have started to plateau yet.

Were you worried about being asked to provide a drug sample on the line?
    I think Ming might have been concerned if he was able to get a bit closer to you? :)

Says some thing about the state of the other politicians when he has acknowledged smoking dope almost every day for the last 15 years (until elected) and he still is the fittest of them.

mithril wrote: »
    Congratulations on the win! It really was only a matter of where and when with the form you are in this year and I don't think you have started to plateau yet.
    It's all about the where and the when. ;)
    Drug tests? Sure it took them three goes to get my name right.. :)

Here's my token finish line photo (my number had all but fallen apart at that stage so I was carrying it in my hand!).

Ming may be a dope-smoking TD, but he's no slouch on the running front. If I remember correctly, he came in the top 10, finishing in the low 40s, on a very tough 10k course. I remember when he first came to the fore in Roscommon, he was the equivalent of the 'Dustin the Turkey' Eurovision entry, but now he really seems to have earned respect in the greater community. I would've been on the 'Dustin' side of the fence, but his heart (and lungs!) seem to be in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

Howya Krusty,

Well done on the win.

I see you have the Mizuno Precision on in the photo.

I've just ordered a pair as the WaveRider 14's I bought recently were brutal. Whats your verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great win the other day. Very good time for a hilly course. I would have been nervous about taking a wrong turn had i been in your shoes! Im so used to pinning off the people ahead to get round :D

• Advertisement

Thanks TakeaBowSon. I find the Precisions to be a great shoe. Not very supportive, but very light ad comfortable, and lots of room in the toe-box (which has been a problem for other recent Mizuno shoes). They're cheap by comparison to other brands too, coming in at about €78 from Wiggle, but you may not get as much mileage out of them. I use them for races/speed sessions only and use cushion shoes (generally Waveriders) for easy/recovery/long runs.

Advertisement