Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just so you know, your new EPO-fueled target pace is 5:30/mile. You can expect to go through the first 10k in 33:53 and should hit the half way mark in around 1:11. No pressure. :p

If I'm on EPO I'll be taking enough of it to make sure that won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Tonight: Handy lazy 5 mile recovery run
    First evening run for a while (those lunch-time runs have really taken over!) so it was nice to be re-united with the bats in the park again. Cold, dark nights are on their way back. I almost miss them. :)

Summary: 5 miles in 41 mins @8:21/mile, HR=129

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Hard luck on not reaching the target in the 10k.... Though i would be delighted with a time like that. Sounds like a tough course aswell. I think the other posters are right- the long run takes it out of you, but when the marathon is the main goal, there's no telling us training for marathons to ease off pace/effort or reduce mileage on those! Good luck with the prep for the 10 miler.

Today: Very sneaky lunch-time 14 mile run
    Body still a little stiff from Monday's exertions, and a hint of a knot in one of my calf muscles, so not the most pleasurable of runs, but happy out to get it done at lunch-time. Though I'll have to work a couple of extra hours this evening, it's worth it to get the run over with and free up my evening a little. Sun came out, so I got to work on my tan a little, but I also wilted in the heat a bit. 5 Mile recovery runs are becoming such a treat these days.

Every week in the schedule from now on has a 15 mile medium long run, so if anyone fancies a 15 mile mid-week run at an easy-clip (7:20 - 7:40/mile) drop me a mail.

Summary: 14 miles in 1:43, @7:25/mile, HR=~138

Killerz wrote: »
    Hard luck on not reaching the target in the 10k.... Though i would be delighted with a time like that. Sounds like a tough course aswell. I think the other posters are right- the long run takes it out of you, but when the marathon is the main goal, there's no telling us training for marathons to ease off pace/effort or reduce mileage on those! Good luck with the prep for the 10 miler.
    Cheers Killerz (et al). It's all true. I approached the race with a half-hearted attitude (even enjoying a few beers the night before), so my expectation that I would beat my PB from last year (when I was approaching the end of my marathon training regime and racing fit) was completely naive. I was looking for a free PB, without having put any of the work in. So the problem wasn't the race, or my training (I reckon I could have stuck to that pace and run a nice 10 mile time), but flawed thinking. Free PBs only happen for a few years while you make good progress. After that, you need to work a little harder for them and perform distance-specific training. Lesson learned!

• Advertisement

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    Yesterday's aches were far worse today, so this morning's early recovery run was a real trudge. Every step for the first few miles was bloody sore, but thankfully there was a little improvement towards the end of the run. With heavy mileage ahead for the rest of the week, I figured I'd better try and get my pains sorted as soon as possible. Thankfully I found a dominatrix in Clondalkin who was able to pummel my muscles back into some kind of usable shape, so hopefully I'll be ready again for tomorrow's 12 mile run. If you're looking for a sports massage/friendly chat/dominatrix in the Clondalkin area, RacoonQueen's the business.

Summary: 5 miles in around 40 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Hi KC,

What sort of mileage are you doing in this schedule? Must be pushing 75-80 miles per week? Seems to be 2 mid long runs and a long run at the weekend.:eek: Painful stuff but I guess it has to be done.:rolleyes:

Pronator wrote: »
    Hi KC,

What sort of mileage are you doing in this schedule? Must be pushing 75-80 miles per week? Seems to be 2 mid long runs and a long run at the weekend.:eek: Painful stuff but I guess it has to be done.:rolleyes:
    It's not as bad as that. It's been 60 miles for the last few weeks. This week should be around 65 miles (a record for me), but the plan maxes out at around 70-75 miles. Yeah, there is a 15 mile run mid-week and also a 12-13 miler, with a session and a long run too. The rest are recovery runs.

Congrats on the win, by the way! Great achievement!

Yesterday: 5 mile recovery run
    Had to juggle training sessions, due to family commitments and continued niggles, so opted for a 5 mile recovery run instead of the scheduled 12 mile medium long run (which wouldn't have done my owies any favours). A 5 mile run fit the bill nicely, and between RQ's ministrations and an easy run, I found myself suitably fixed-up for Saturday's PMP run.

Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, 7:52/mile, HR=~126

Today: 18 miles with 10 miles @PMP
    Had to do this session a day early due to a christening tomorrow, but thankfully the legs were feeling a lot better, with just some stiffness in the achilles, and a gentle tug from the calf muscles. Had a really good sleep, due to having an empty house, and stuck with just three bottles of beer the night before, despite the free-gaff(!), which I reckon really helped with today's run (D'pop, we should put this top-tip in chapter one of the P&G advanced beginner training guide).

Sunny day? Check.
    Sun-glasses? Check.
    Minimalist singlet and shorts? Check.
    5 Minutes into run, wading through floods? Check.

I was less than a half a mile from the house, and my shoes were full of rain-water. I could barely see through the torrents of rain streaming down my face, and the road had disappeared under a couple of inches of water. I stopped under a tree, to throw my mp3 player into a plastic bag, and toyed with the idea of going home and changing into some dry clothes. In the end, I persisted and trudged up-stream, over the initial climb. Over the course of the next 6 miles, the rain stopped and was replaced by blistering sunshine. Chicaho marathon generally suffers either a heat-wave, or freezing conditions, but rarely are the two extremes alternated every 5 minutes/ After the intial 6 miles, I stopped for a gel and a bottle of water, and hit the PMP miles.

For the PMP miles the weather was going through a cool phase with a few blasts of sunshine. The favourable weather may have helped, but I found this session a lot more handy than the 8 mile pmp run two weeks ago. Progress or just more favourable weather? I dunno, but I don't care. I'm taking it! Finishing up, I felt pretty good, and run just 10 seconds slower than my outing in the 10 mile in Ballycotton earlier this year. True, the route has a 100m elevation drop over the 10 miles, but Ballycotton didn't have a 6 mile hilly (wet!) prelude either. Finished up with a couple of slow recovery miles to home, a little happier with how the week is finishing up, after the disappointing start.

10 PMP Miles: 1:01:41, @6:10/mile, HR=157

Summary: 18.4 miles in 2:06, @6:50/mile, HR=141

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great run there! You're well set up for the race in a fortnight.
    stuck with just three bottles of beer the night before, despite the free-gaff(!), which I reckon really helped with today's run (D'pop, we should put this top-tip in chapter one of the P&G advanced beginner training guide).

You can take chapters 1,2,4,5,8, which will all be beer related. I'll do the wine-infused 3,6,7,9. We know there's a market for this book.
    5 miles in 40 mins, 7:52/mile

Just promise to let me do the math.;)

Just promise to let me do the math.;)
    5.08 miles, in 40:027:52/mile. Smart-arse. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

You can take chapters 1,2,4,5,8, which will all be beer related. I'll do the wine-infused 3,6,7,9. We know there's a market for this book.

Not usually a fan of plans designed from books but I could be a converted by the sounds of this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Had a really good sleep, due to having an empty house, and stuck with just three bottles of beer the night before, despite the free-gaff(!),

Good boy just 3 bottles of beer, me better boy for once - zero bottles.
    Oh and good running too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

your going well, im struggling to do 6x 1m at that pace....in fact, i cant hit that pace for the 6m interval distance!

2:43 is on like donkey kong!

seanynova wrote: »
    2:43 is on like donkey kong!
    Sh1te. I'm aiming for 2:42.

:)

Abhainn wrote: »
    Good boy just 3 bottles of beer, me better boy for once - zero bottles.
    Jaysus, you must be going for something really special tomorrow! Bray 10k?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Sh1te. I'm aiming for 2:42.

:)

maybe i should do my math! :P

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    Just an easy recovery run on the trails in Moate Park in Roscommon. This was less painful than I expected after yesterday's tough run. Rest day tomorrow, so IO might try some of that new-fangled core stuff that keeps getting bandied about.
    Summary: 5.05 miles in 38:42, @7:39/mile, HR=~132

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

......Free PBs only happen for a few years while you make good progress. After that, you need to work a little harder for them and perform distance-specific training. Lesson learned!

Never a truer word spoken-the law of diminishing returns i suppose!

• Advertisement

Tonight: 5 Mile milk-run
    Entirely unsatisfied with today's curtailed run, and sick of driving, I was just looking for an excuse to get another run done. Text from Mrs Clown: "Did you get some milk?" Problem solved. I ran past the first few shops, as they were just too..... close... Grabbed the milk and headed for home, feeling like my feet were barely touching the ground on this cool October evening. Opened the fridge. Oh look, we already had milk. Damn it.. The fact that this run gave me my highest ever weekly mileage, was pure coincidence. ;) Anyway, it was an enjoyable late evening run and tomorrow's a rest day, so I can be forgiven a few redundant miles.

Wait, do we have any eggs?
    Summary: 5 miles in 37:30, @7:18/mile, HR=129

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tonight: 5 Mile milk-run
    Entirely unsatisfied with today's curtailed run, and sick of driving, I was just looking for an excuse to get another run done. Text from Mrs Clown: "Did you get some milk?" Problem solved. I ran past the first few shops, as they were just too..... close... Grabbed the milk and headed for home, feeling like my feet were barely touching the ground on this cool October evening. Opened the fridge. Oh look, we already had milk. Damn it.. The fact that this run gave me my highest ever weekly mileage, was pure coincidence. ;) Anyway, it was an enjoyable late evening run and tomorrow's a rest day, so I can be forgiven a few redundant miles.

Wait, do we have any eggs?
    Summary: 5 miles in 37:30, @7:18/mile, HR=129

You thinking of taper madeness already?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You thinking of taper madeness already?
    It was dark, cold and I was wearing a long-sleeved running top. There were leaves taking flight on the gentle breeze, and you could smell the dampness from the bushes and hedges. Even the smell of a bonfire from Kilbogget Park evoked images of Halloween, though bonfires in the area are not such a rare occurrence. It was an evening stolen from the middle of October.

/end poetry.

It was dark, cold and I was wearing a long-sleeved running top. There were leaves taking flight on the gentle breeze, and you could smell the dampness from the bushes and hedges. Even the smell of a bonfire from Kilbogget Park evoked images of Halloween, though bonfires in the area are not such a rare occurrence. It was an evening stolen from the middle of October.

/end poetry.

Headed out after 9pm myself and was thinking something similar although not as poetic :) Summer evening haze was gone and replaced by fresh Autumn evening!

Headed out after 9pm myself and was thinking something similar although not as poetic :) Summer evening haze was gone and replaced by fresh Autumn evening!
    They were nice running conditions though. I was running much faster than my usual recovery pace, and my HR was substantially lower. Must hit the park one of these days for a recce of the 13 mile route, if you're up for it?

They were nice running conditions though. I was running much faster than my usual recovery pace, and my HR was substantially lower. Must hit the park one of these days for a recce of the 13 mile route, if you're up for it?

Yes they were nice conditions all right. Yes recce of half sounds good, would you believe I was thinking about that on my evening run last night as well :)

Pop me a PM of a few days/dates that suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

If you've room for another one, I'd be interested (wife etc willing).

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Another one up for it here. Could do as part of a long run?;)

brownian wrote: »
    If you've room for another one, I'd be interested (wife etc willing).
    Pronator wrote: »
    Another one up for it here. Could do as part of a long run?;)

The more the merrier. Sunday morning suits me best. If there is a consensus for another day then I don't mind if you go with that. The earlier the better for me. Between 9 and 10 am if that's not too early?

• Advertisement

The more the merrier. Sunday morning suits me best. If there is a consensus for another day then I don't mind if you go with that. The earlier the better for me. Between 9 and 10 am if that's not too early?
    Early Sunday works for me.. Compromise - 9:30am? Pronator? Brownian?

Advertisement