Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Early Sunday works for me.. Compromise - 9:30am? Pronator? Brownian?

Great 9.30am is perfect for me too. Plan on doing 18 so will tag a few miles on either side of half marathon route. I guess a meet up in the papal cross car park is best as it is quite close to the start line.

I'm not too bothered about pace but wouldn't mind running close enough to target pace (6.51) if there are no objections!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great 9.30am is perfect for me too. Plan on doing 18 so will tag a few miles on either side of half marathon route. I guess a meet up in the papal cross car park is best as it is quite close to the start line.

I'm not too bothered about pace but wouldn't mind running close enough to target pace (6.51) if there are no objections!
    I have to do 18 too, but might split off from you after the first 13.1, so you can stretch your legs. :)

I have to do 18 too, but might split off from you after the first 13.1, so you can stretch your legs. :)

won't be going any faster than 6.51 and in fact slowing down might be an option as I want to save something for the Frank Duffy 10 miler. I'm not hung up on the pace but wouldn't mind running part of the course at desired pace just to get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

With apologies to Krusty for hijacking his log...Sunday's better for me too. I'd prefer 11.30 or 12.00 (call me lazy:)) but 0930 or 10 is fine.

brownian wrote: »
    With apologies to Krusty for hijacking his log...Sunday's better for me too. I'd prefer 11.30 or 12.00 (call me lazy:)) but 0930 or 10 is fine.

you're lazy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

i'll be 8 miles into mine while you all chat in the car park.. youre all lazy :)

i'll be 8 miles into mine while you all chat in the car park.. youre all lazy :)
    You're starting at 8am? :eek: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

You're starting at 8am? :eek: :P

yip. between 8 and 8.30 on sundays. Its family friendly, I sunburn very easily and my daughter wakes me at 6 anyway :)

Today: 13 miles of chasing rabbits
    Didn't really feel the love today, and between sore achilles and the radio's constant doom and gloom message of riots and worldwide financial collapse, it was difficult to raise this one above a trudge around the rabbit-filled fields of Corkagh Park. 15 Miles tomorrow, so I reckon I'll try and muster the energy to head to Phoenix Park for a run around the trails.

Just got news that I've been summoned to California a couple of days after the Frank Duffy, which is going to cause havoc with the training plan. At least I should be able to pick up a cheap pair of runners and find some decent trails.

Summary: 13 miles in 1:37, @7:27/mile, HR=128

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Early Sunday works for me.. Compromise - 9:30am? Pronator? Brownian?

I'm out guy's, bloody work has seen to that:(

• Advertisement

0930's good with me (as is ten, or half ten :)).

Papal X?

Will be driving in from Deansgrange, so anyone who wants/offers a lift, PM me.

Today: 15 Mile Medium Long Run
    Headed to the Phoenix Park in the piddling rain, but the weather dried off a little when I arrived. Stuck on MarathonTalk (The Lemoncello interviews) and followed the Frank Duffy route with map in hand for the first ten miles, interrupted only by a bastarding bee that stung me on the arm (it's all this talk of stinging on the forum). Stopped at the car for a quick swig of water, and then followed the missing chunk from the Dublin Half Marathon (the difference between the Frank Duffy 10 mile and the 1/2M). I reckon I was thrown a little by yesterday's 13 mile run, and couldn't figure out my pace at all. Constantly going too fast or too slow. Could have something to do with all of the other runners in the park (are there always this many?). Anyway, I'd better get used to these mid-week 15 mile runs. They're not much fun, just a necessary evil.

Summary: 15 miles in 1:49, @7:17/mile, HR=131

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Papal X?

Sounds like a good group for the run mind if i tag along? Was planning on running in the park anyway this weekend with a rare sunday off work it would be a shame to waste it:D

ecoli wrote: »
    Sounds like a good group for the run mind if i tag along? Was planning on running in the park anyway this weekend with a rare sunday off work it would be a shame to waste it:D
    The more the merrier. ...and to have the facebook celebrity pacer from Dingle Half marathon? What a treat. :)

The more the merrier. ...and to have the facebook celebrity pacer from Dingle Half marathon? What a treat. :)

Oh God forgot about that Ihavent even seen that yet (hope they got my good side:D)

Oh God forgot about that Ihavent even seen that yet (hope they got my good side:D)
    You look fast!

You look fast!

Had to send one to inspire confidence no point of people seeing a picture of the person who supposed to be pacing on the lash with the lads haha

That was a funny race. Rathfarnam first mile 4.41. That was the the third mile and the definition of pain It was not pretty to say the least

Today: 5 mile grass recovery run
    Just a very easy (slow) recovery run on the grass in Shanganagh Park. Feeling a bit shagged, so got this one out of the way early, to get some rest before tomorrow's tempo session.
    Summary: 5 miles in 41 mins, @8:16/mile, HR=~125

[QUOTE=Krusty_Clown;73752770I reckon I was thrown a little by yesterday's 13 mile run, and couldn't figure out my pace at all. Constantly going too fast or too slow. Could have something to do with all of the other runners in the park (are there always this many?). [/QUOTE]

Yes especially while the race series is on. Chesterfield avenue is he place to be to see young fit men/women strutting their stuff.

Papal X?
    Hi Brownian, we could probably convince the lads to push the run out until 10am, if you agree to bring along some cakes for afterwards? :)

• Advertisement

Hi Brownian, we could probably convince the lads to push the run out until 10am, if you agree to bring along some cakes for afterwards? :)

Ten's good with me. Jaffa cakes, cream cakes, soap cakes, urinal cakes ?

How about a nice flask of tea and some Tunnock's tea cakes - have those in stock.

Ten's good with me. Jaffa cakes, cream cakes, soap cakes, urinal cakes ?

How about a nice flask of tea and some Tunnock's tea cakes - have those in stock.

Go on then. Let's push it back to 10am ;) you better bring some cakes, seed has been planted.

The scent of cakes has attracted tunguska and some other vultures. First come first served!

The scent of cakes has attracted tunguska and some other vultures. First come first served!
    Damn, you noticed my ruse. :( There go the free cakes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

There'll be Jaffa cakes? I could put away an entire packet of those bad boys in one sitting, double pack at that.

Lunch: 8.8 miles with 5 Mile Tempo
    Pretty damn fine session, if I do say so myself. Plan was to do the tempo miles around the pitches in Corkagh, but the rain had been coming down heavy for 30 minutes, so I reckon it'd be a messy slush by the time I hit it, so I headed out towards Tallaght on the bicycle lanes. Slight head-wind, I took it handy for the first three miles, followed by a brief stretch and then into the tempo. I continued on towards Tallaght for another mile and a bit, and had to turn into an estate, in order to avoid stopping to cross the road, and then turned back, and headed back towards Clondalkin.

The plan had been to hit around 5:55/mile, but with nice flat (slightly downhill) roads and a mild tail-wind, the average pace on the watch was showing 5:49. I slowed down a couple of times, before just sticking with the flow. I'm not a big fan of 'central governors', but had a quiet word with mine anyway, towards the end of the 5 miles. Very happy to finish, having run too quick, but had to cut the warm-down miles short, to rus back for a customer meeting (conference call thankfully!), which I'm sure I'll pay for tomorrow. For today though, I'm content.
    Tempo: 5 miles in 29:06, @5:49/mile, HR=165

Summary: 8.8 miles in 57:46, @6:31/mile, HR=154

Morning: 5 mile recovery run
    An itsy bitsy hangover was rapidly cured by a 5 mile run consisting of loops around Cabinteely Park, while the young fella played footie.
    Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, @8:10/mile, HR=~129

Afternoon: 6 mile hike/run around Tonlagee
    Met up with a few friends, and hiked up over Tonlagee, before bidding them farewell (brave souls were going camping), and running (if you can call 18 min/mile running!) back to the car, following the Garmin's compass which worked a treat. Unfortunately it didn't point out the various bog-holes, bog-meadows, sunken rivers and trippy heather. Pretending you're Bear Grylls: fun, but sore!
    Summary: 6.68 miles in 3:39

Today: Dropped off the OH in Phoenix Park at 9:30, and had half an hour to kill before meeting up with the speedy lads, so did an easy warm-up mile. After yesterday's hike/run I had trouble lifting my knee, going up and down the stairs (likely from falling into the bog-holes) so figured an easy mile would let me know whether it was a good idea or not. Not a bother. Not a sniff of pain, so all good.

Met up with a group of speedy boards runners (Brownian, eColi (the child-hater), RoadRunner, Tunguska, and later in the run Aero2k, and set off at a comfortable clip. We were supposed to follow the 1/2 marathon route, but I don't think TheRoadRunner knows the right way (if you're hoping to hit sub-90 minutes, you might just be safer sticking with me). Nice run around the trails and with the banter, the miles slipped by. A quick water stop at 10 miles and off again for another 8 miles before wrapping up back at the start point. I had a chunk of time to kill, so I finished off with two easy miles to wrap-it up at 21 miles for the day. Definitely one of the easiest and most enjoyable long runs I've done of late, as the company just makes the miles tick off. I also hit 70 miles for the first time ever, and the body would be in pretty good shape, if it weren't for the hike yesterday.

Summary: 1 mile warm-up, plus 20 miles in 2:22, @7:07/mile, HR=135

Today: Dropped off the OH in Phoenix Park at 9:30, and had half an hour to kill before meeting up with the speedy lads, so did an easy warm-up mile. After yesterday's hike/run I had trouble lifting my knee, going up and down the stairs (likely from falling into the bog-holes) so figured an easy mile would let me know whether it was a good idea or not. Not a bother. Not a sniff of pain, so all good.

Met up with a group of speedy boards runners (Brownian, eColi (the child-hater), RoadRunner, Tunguska, and later in the run Aero2k, and set off at a comfortable clip. We were supposed to follow the 1/2 marathon route, but I don't think TheRoadRunner knows the right way (if you're hoping to hit sub-90 minutes, you might just be safer sticking with me). Nice run around the trails and with the banter, the miles slipped by. A quick water stop at 10 miles and off again for another 8 miles before wrapping up back at the start point. I had a chunk of time to kill, so I finished off with two easy miles to wrap-it up at 21 miles for the day. Definitely one of the easiest and most enjoyable long runs I've done of late, as the company just makes the miles tick off. I also hit 70 miles for the first time ever, and the body would be in pretty good shape, if it weren't for the hike yesterday.

The child hater is also moderator and the elitist "speedy" reference is elistist perfect excuse to ban the lot of ya's the less boardsie parents the better.:D

Didnt realise that was Aero2k we were running with:o

• Advertisement

The child hater is also moderator and the elitist "speedy" reference is elistist perfect excuse to ban the lot of ya's the less boardsie parents the better.:D

Didnt realise that was Aero2k we were running with:o
    You can silence me, but 5 parents will stand up in my place. The revolution is now! :)

Advertisement