Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ecoli wrote: »
    The child hater is also moderator

The only mod without kids :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »
    The only mod without kids :p

There all against me I knew we should have kept you where you were when selecting a moderator;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

You can silence me, but 5 parents will stand up in my place. The revolution is now! :)

I'm with you. Some of his behaviour today was shocking. Going by the zoo he was giving families the two finger salute and giving kids a sly kick up the backside. When we got back to the car park he robbed an ice cream off a 5 year old and stitched her father a loaf when he complained. Apparently he has been banned from every family day in south Dublin and the children of tallaght cry with fear whe they hear his name been spoken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'm with you. Some of his behaviour today was shocking. Going by the zoo he was giving families the two finger salute and giving kids a sly kick up the backside. When we got back to the car park he robbed an ice cream off a 5 year old and stitched her father a loaf when he complained. Apparently he has been banned from every family day in south Dublin and the children of tallaght cry with fear whe they hear his name been spoken

You told me to steal the ice cream though cos you werent willing to fork out 3.50 ya cheap ba$tard:pac:

ecoli wrote: »
    You told me to steal the ice cream though cos you werent willing to fork out 3.50 ya cheap ba$tard:pac:

3.50 is a shocking price for an ice cream, the bastard ran out of raspberry sauce last time I bought one as well. 3.50 is probably nothing for a young childless runner like yourself with plenty of disposable income :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday: Weights and light core session
    Yesterday was a rest day, so around 11pm, I motivated myself to dust off the dummbells and do an easy half hour of weights and easy core stuff. It's all part of the new leaner, healthier Clown. Will see if I can keep it going for the next two months. I have my doubts. :rolleyes:

Today: 12 mile medium long run
    Cutting the miles back for the Frank Duffy on Saturday, I ran 12 miles today instead of the planned 15 mile run tomorrow. I had planned 13 miles, but started to feel some pain in my left quad, so cut it short and walked back to work. This was probably a bit too soon/long since Sunday's long run, but I have only easy/recovery runs for the rest of the week, so hopefully there won't be any lasting impact.
    Summary: 12 miles in 1:30, @7:32/mile, HR=~128

Morning: Quad muscle tightened up yesterday, so this morning I did the run I should have done yesterday: 5 mile slow recovery run on the grass, which didn't cause the quad any grief. I'll do another easy recovery run this evening, and again tomorrow morning, and then sports massage. Hopefully by Friday I'll be ready for some strides in preparation for Saturday's race. I always seem to get niggles in the week leading up to a race, so hopefully this one's no different and will disappear come race day.

Summary: 5 miles in around 41 mins, @8:15/mile.

Morning: Quad muscle tightened up yesterday, so this morning I did the run I should have done yesterday: 5 mile slow recovery run on the grass, which didn't cause the quad any grief. I'll do another easy recovery run this evening, and again tomorrow morning, and then sports massage. Hopefully by Friday I'll be ready for some strides in preparation for Saturday's race. I always seem to get niggles in the week leading up to a race, so hopefully this one's no different and will disappear come race day.

Summary: 5 miles in around 41 mins, @8:15/mile.

If it's any consolation I'm in bits too. Similar plan to yourself for the rest of the week. Seeing the magician tomorrow and hoping he can magic my boggles away.

Evening: Mirror image of this morning's 5 mile recovery run, except not reflected across the y-axis (worst run description ever!). Felt a little bit more comfortable, and no worsening pain from the quad muscle, so things are looking up. Still taking it handy for the next two days. This is a recovery week in the marathon schedule anyway so easy running isn't the worst thing ever. However, with next week's travel, hitting the prescribed training sessions is going to be really difficult.

Summary: 5 miles in 39:12, @7:50/mile, HR=129

• Advertisement

If it's any consolation I'm in bits too. Similar plan to yourself for the rest of the week. Seeing the magician tomorrow and hoping he can magic my boggles away.
    Haha! Good luck with that! Bring lots of kleenex! I'm off to see the... Queen of Clondalkin?! Not as painful as the magician (hopefully she won't read this and take it as a challenge :eek:).

Today: 10k easy run
    Felt a little better, but stuck to the plan and had a very easy 10k around Shanganagh Park on a familiar loop (which I'm getting very sick of at this stage). Really don't dig the morning runs. Just can't seem to get them to rise above 'trudge' status. Much happier running in the early afternoons, or even late at night. However, having a beer-free diet really helps, as you can wake up, throw on the running shoes, and hit the door. If it's just a 5-6 mile run, then you can be in work at the usual time. But running for running's sake isn't fun. I miss the hills. Maybe on Sunday..

Followed it up with a beating from the physio, which hurt like hell, but will hopefully give the muscles the coaxing they need to allow me to run well on Saturday.

Summary: 10k in ~47.30.

Tonight: 10 mile interrupted cycle
    Haven't run enough this week, so suffering slightly with mile withdrawal symptoms, and having had a sports massage earlier, I headed out on the bike for the third time this year. Nice cycle along the N11 as far Kilmacanogue, then headed up Kilmurry Lane and looped around the mini Sugarloaf, down towards Greystones, and back towards Bray. Darkness descended, and I couldn't see the pot-hole that punctured my tyre and prematurely ended my cycle. Didn't fancy fixing the puncture in the shadow of Bray pubs of a Thursday night, so I called for an emergency evac, and made it out of war-torn Bray safely.

Summary: 10.6 mile cycle in 47 mins, @21.7km/hour

"War torn bray" :D are you Ross ocaroll Kelly in disguise?

Went to te magician today. I'm a very sore (but flexible) boy. Had to take some anti inflamatories earlier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Haha! Good luck with that! Bring lots of kleenex! I'm off to see the... Queen of Clondalkin?! Not as painful as the magician (hopefully she won't read this and take it as a challenge :eek:).

Bit disappointed I didn't read this earlier...

Went to te magician today. I'm a very sore (but flexible) boy.
    Did you cry?

Did you cry?

There were tears and a few sneaky farts.

Today: 5 mile easy run with strides
    Just a barometer run to see how I'm fixed for tomorrow, and it looks like things are good. After a week of slow running, I felt a lot faster on today's run (even if the stats point otherwise, I felt faster!), so muchos gracios to RacoonQueen. Still some tightness around the achilles and right knee, but sure that's just par for the course these days.

Today's wind! Now that made for a fun run and would make for a hell'ish race tomorrow, however, looking at the map and the forecast, it's supposed to ease back tomorrow (4m/s instead of today's 8m/s), and directionally it'll hit us on the Ordinance Survey Road downhill section, and will be behind us on the Acres Road stretch to the finish line, so it could be a lot worse (unless of course it changes direction!). :eek:

Not sure how I feel about tomorrow's race. It's another temperature gauge for how much progress I'm making, so a little bit nervous. I don't want negative signals this early in the program. Better bust a gut tomorrow.

Summary: 5.19 miles in 37:48, @7:17/mile, HR=~135

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope I'm only a few minutes behind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck Krusty...10 miles is a great race distance, a true test.

• Advertisement

Cheers Gringo. Hopefully wipe those three seconds off from last year. Plan is to try and hit at least 5:55 for the first 8 miles, and try and hang-in/speed-up for the last bit. Famous last words!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Cheers Gringo. Hopefully wipe those three seconds off from last year. Plan is to try and hit at least 5:55 for the first 8 miles, and try and hang-in/speed-up for the last bit. Famous last words!

Best of luck tomorrow Krusty,i am dissapointed i wont be travelling up.

Sosa wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Krusty,i am dissapointed i wont be travelling up.
    Cheers Sosa. Between yourself, Gringo, VR and myself we could've had a great little group pushing for a good time, with an all-out sprint over the last 100m, for the honours. :D I'll blame you guys if I don't make it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Cheers Sosa. Between yourself, Gringo, VR and myself we could've had a great little group pushing for a good time, with an all-out sprint over the last 100m, for the honours. :D I'll blame you guys if I don't make it. ;)

Well done today Krusty...i have 13s to find at the Dungarvan 10 in January to catch up with you now...monkey off the back,might see you down here for the National half in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done KC , great result/great prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great running today KC....well done

The plan for today's race was to aim for around 59:30, so I could get comfortably under the hour without leaving anything to chance, having finished in a soul-destroying 60:02 last year in the same race. I wanted to run around 5:55/mile, for the first 8 miles and see if I could pick it up from there on in. Lined up around 20 feet from the start line, but by the time the race started, there were around 300 runners between me and the start line. A bit far back, but it was too late to start shoving my way through the throngs. I could see Abhainn and Tunguska up ahead, looking fast and furious.

First mile or two were all about passing the stragglers and getting into a good stride, and both passed at 5:52/mile. Next two miles are slightly downhill, so I figured it would be better to push the pace on the downhills, so I saw my average pace dropping to 5:49/mile. After the third mile I settled into a pretty strong group, but that may have cost me a little, as the down-hill mile was a little slow (5:54). On the subsequent climb, a few of us left the group (at around the water-station) and swapped the lead, as one or the other of us would find a bit of strength in the legs.

Chesterfield Avenue was a little slow with a slight head-wind. I stuck with the small group, but should really have pushed on, as I was feeling quite comfortable (still need to figure out how to push myself harder) and we clocked the slowest mile of the race: 6:06. Mile 7, myself and a Raheny runner were on our own and exchanged the lead a few times, but ended up running side by side for a mile or so (5:59 and 5:58) , until we hit the downhill and first he, then I pulled ahead (5:45). We turned up Acres Road and had a mini-slog before hitting the flat. Looking at the watch, I was running at 5:55, so I picked up the pace to try and duck under 59:30. On the final straight, the pace felt comfortable, so despite hitting my race goal, I knew I had under-sold myself a little. But that's ok, I can live with that. It means if I have a good winter season, I can have another pop in early 2012 and try and crack into the 58:xx. So, good to get a PB. Definitely not on track for my marathon goal, but still plenty of time left. It's certainly my fastest McMillan time or VDOT some some good news.

Nice as always to meet so many Boards runners before and after the race. Keeping the spirit of the old club alive, if not the AAI affiliation. Gone, but not forgotten.

Summary: 10 miles in 59:25, @5:55/mile, HR=167 (lazy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

solid run, well done krusty

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Congratulations Krusty, well done on going sub-60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great running on a tough enough course. Congrats. Im Jealous that you could go sub-60 with something still in the tank...good luck with the rest of the training

Advertisement