Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Perfectly executed. Nicely done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sub 60 nicely done KC and a well executed race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Congrats on the lazy PB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Delighted for you that you got under 60mins for the 10 miler, and even more delighted for me that you'll have tired legs when we meet for tomorrows LSR:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Well done. You looked fresh at finish definitely another minute there on a faster course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Great run yesterday, I fail to meet you usually cause your so far ahead...!!! Sub 60 ... Serious work there.
    I took your advice and did my first propper warm up for a race.... Huge help got me settled quicker ,had ambitions of 80s and got down to 71....60 light years away!!
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 19.5 mile road/trail Long run
    A little stiff this morning form yesterday's 10 mile race, and had very interrupted sleep, waking at 5:45 and couldn't get back to sleep, so got up, made the porridge and headed to meet the country gentry(Slogger Jogger and Donothoponpop) once more in Crossbridge (I'd save a lot of time if I just moved down there). Great banter and a nice comfortable pace were exactly what was required of today's long run, so joining the guys was a great idea. Three decent climbs (589m of total climb by my watch) slowed the pace, but as far as I was concerned, the easier the better. Some lovely views across the valleys and far off mountains, it was a great route choice, as I also got to finally run the last section of the Wicklow Way (or 99% of it, I'll have to come back!).

After around 14 miles, I suffered a similar fate to D'pop and started to run low on energy, so I stopped briefly and scoffed a gel. By mile 16 I felt right as rain, and we picked up the pace for the remaining slightly downhill miles to the end of the Wicklow Way. So a perfect end to a really strong week of marathon training, that looked (at the start of the week) like it was going to be a disaster. 65 Miles too, which kind of crept up on me. Thanks much for the company and lifts guys! You made a difficult run feel really easy.

Summary: 19.5 miles in 2:42 (auspicious number!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Great run on Sat, you certainly looked very relaxed when I bumped into you afterwards! Ended up running a few miles on the Wicklow Way myself this afternoon coincidentally.

opus wrote: »
    Great run on Sat, you certainly looked very relaxed when I bumped into you afterwards! Ended up running a few miles on the Wicklow Way myself this afternoon coincidentally.
    I was two hours on that bench waiting for Mrs Clown. No wonder I was relaxed!
    You should've joined us for the run. You would've enjoyed it. Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Just saw this. Congratulations on the sub 60! If you targeted the distance directly, rather than run it as preparation for the marathon, what time do you think you would run? The high mileage for the marathon can't be optimal for a 10miler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Great result Krusty! Would have loved to run the 10 mile this year but had other commitments on the day. Was in the same boat as yourself last year just missing the 60 min time, sure we were talkin for a bit of that race. At least its off your back now, i'll have to wait for another year!

mithril wrote: »
    Just saw this. Congratulations on the sub 60! If you targeted the distance directly, rather than run it as preparation for the marathon, what time do you think you would run? The high mileage for the marathon can't be optimal for a 10miler.
    Hi Mithril, congrats on that very strong marathon. For someone whose training has been greatly inconvenienced by injury/travel, you ran a cracking time.

I reckon if I was a little more gung-ho in the race I could've taken another 20-25 seconds off my time (the photos are a little embarrassing, as I'm smiling and show-boating in most of them!). So if I trained specifically for it (does anyone actually train for a 10 mile any more?!) I'd like to think I could get low into the 58:xx region. This is beginning to sound a little like marathontalk. My favourite training session is a run around carrigologan/The Scalp, and I've had to stop for three ginbgerbreads in the last couple of years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Summary: 10 miles in 59:25, @5:55/mile, HR=167 (lazy!)

I've got a chance to have a crack off that coming up in 2 weeks - a handicap 10 miler - based on your predicted 10 mile time, slowest runners off first, idea is if everyone ran their predicted time everyone would cross finish line together. Winner is first past the line - you're bascially chasing runners down - I'm in 2 minds about whether this makes it easier or harder as on one hand you should always have a target up ahead in sight to work on closing the gap to, plus a faster runner might catch you from behind if you were slowing which would spur you on, but the other side of it is I expect I'll be running long periods on my own which is tough in a 10 miler.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I've got a chance to have a crack off that coming up in 2 weeks - a handicap 10 miler - based on your predicted 10 mile time, slowest runners off first, idea is if everyone ran their predicted time everyone would cross finish line together. Winner is first past the line - you're bascially chasing runners down - I'm in 2 minds about whether this makes it easier or harder as on one hand you should always have a target up ahead in sight to work on closing the gap to, plus a faster runner might catch you from behind if you were slowing which would spur you on, but the other side of it is I expect I'll be running long periods on my own which is tough in a 10 miler.

Have a similar 10k coming up. I'm not a huge fan. It's grand when you are catching people but feels awful when somebody is chasing you down

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Sounds awful! I need other runners to physically carry me to the finish line! Still, the feeling of passing dozens of runners as you approach the finish line would likely be a big motivator (if you don't proclaim your target time too aggressively). Good luck with it!

Today: Recovery run Part I
    With 18-22 hours of travel tomorrow, it's very unlikely that I'll get a chance to run (unless it's at 4am Irish time) so I'm swapping today's planned rest run for tomorrow's recovery runs. First official double evah! 6 recovery miles this afternoon that actually felt more comfortable than they had a right to to, around some previously unexplored sections of Corkagh Park. Running shoes now stink of dog-poo. Not ordinarily a big issue, but when you have to keep them in the office, people start to complain.....

Also stopped off at LIDL and bought me one of those floor pumps, so I can try to get more pressure into the tyres so I can avoid punctures, and a pair of these cheap and cheerful cycling shoes, so at least when I do get a puncture, I can still walk/jog home with the bike.

Summary: 6 miles in 47:24, @7:48/mile, HR=126

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Nice one on the sub 60 Krusty.

This evening: Double day part 2: Returning to the scene of the crime
    I've spent so much time in Corkagh Park recently, the rabbits recognise me, and don't bother moving any more as I trot by. Pity it didn't work with the midgets. Billions of fit-camp people running in 10 metre loops (and I thought some of my runs were repetitious). Well, the run went. Last miles on this continent until September. California's calling..

Summary: 4 miles in 32:30, @7:59/mile, HR=127

Tonight/tomorrow morning/today (not exactly sure) 5 miles on the dread-mill
    Arrived in the hotel at 8pm (3am or something equally silly back home), after 18 hours of travel, unpacked the case, and figured that a run would be a better use of my time to acclimatise to Pacific Time than snoozing in front of the infomercials. Unfortunately it gets dark around here at 8pm, and the trails would just be too dangerous in the dark, so I hit the dreaded treadmill. It's around 28'C outside and around 35'C inside the gym (go figure!) so this was a complete horror-show sweat-fest. Really unpleasant run, but I fear with darkness descending so early, I'm screwed for the rest of the week, so it'll be treadmill in the evenings or nothing. I could run in the mornings, but will need to be pretty fresh in work for the week. Just better make sure that the weekend of running really counts.

Now sitting down with a cheeseburger and chips (healthiest thing on the menu), so lets just call it quid pro quo for today's run.

Summary: 5 sweaty miles in 37:55, @7:35/mile, @1.5% incline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Unfortunately it gets dark around here at 8pm, and the trails would just be too dangerous in the dark,

with the mountain lions and all that :D
    Well done on the PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Arrived in the hotel at 8pm (3am or something equally silly back home), after 18 hours of travel, unpacked the case, and figured that a run would be a better use of my time to acclimatise to Pacific Time than snoozing in front of the infomercials. Unfortunately it gets dark around here at 8pm, and the trails would just be too dangerous in the dark, so I hit the dreaded treadmill. It's around 28'C outside and around 35'C inside the gym (go figure!) so this was a complete horror-show sweat-fest. Really unpleasant run, but I fear with darkness descending so early, I'm screwed for the rest of the week, so it'll be treadmill in the evenings or nothing. I could run in the mornings, but will need to be pretty fresh in work for the week. Just better make sure that the weekend of running really counts.

Now sitting down with a cheeseburger and chips (healthiest thing on the menu), so lets just call it quid pro quo for today's run.

I find when I travel long distances it's best to try and split the time difference. So if I'm in Austin (-6hrs), I'll get up at 4-5am (10-11am Ireland), get my run out of the way, still in the office @ 7 and try and hit the scratcher by 9-10pm. Find it's easier to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I really hope you were the only one in the gym - the flying sweat pools at 35'C couldn't have been pleasant for anyone else either :rolleyes:
    ...and don't forget to hydrate! :D (Beer doesn't count!)

Fair play on hitting the treadmill. It's better than nothing. Have been in the same boat as yourself in the past. Try mix it up and do some fast stuff, just make sure you have a bottle of water and some towels close to hand to mop up the sweat pools!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

I'm the same - up at 4-5am when on central standard time, get the run in, and then the office. bed at 9pm and ready to go again the next day.
    But how anyone gets on the threadmill on a regular basis is beyond me...

Cheers guys. Was up at 5am this morning, full of beans, but it's still dark outside until 6am, and based on where I'm located running options outside aren't great (picture industrial estate, strip-malls, office blocks and intersections every 100m). There is a nearby trail, but hitting it after dark isn't a healthy option (sadly not because of the mountain Lions Woddle!) because it's the kind of trail that would feature in a US cop drama (CSI San Jose!), usually with lots of blue flashy lights, and a barely visible body outline covered by a medical tarpaulin. As I found out the last time I was here, this is where the unfortunates build their temporary housing, alongside derelict factories and tucked under over-passes. Fine during the day, but not a great option in the dark.

I have intervals in the schedule for today, but might move them to Saturday instead, if the heat doesn't want to play ball. Better to run easy, then fail completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

shud u not be used to dat when training in the badlands of Bray....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    shud u not be used to dat when training in the badlands of Bray....
    When running in Bray I usually bring a semi-automatic rifle. I couldn't get it through security for this trip, but I'll try to pick one up at lunch-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

It's around 28'C outside

welcome to my world...by far the hottest summer i ever endured...not good for the running!

Today: 9.3 miles with 5 x 1.2K @5k pace
    Absolutely shattered after a 5am wake-up and spending the day in a meeting room. Checked the Google calendar, and horror of horrors, long intervals at 5k pace. The bad news had only just begun. In my feeble-minded state, I created an advanced workout, and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't upload to the watch. Couldn't get the watch to talk to the computer at all. Then I noticed it was on 23% battery, it was really hot out, and night-time was on its way. Plugged the watch in, and once it got to 28%, I got pissed off, and decided to jack-in the intervals and just get out there and get running before it got too late.

I hit the Coyote Creek Trail and the legs felt good (the super-sized Blue Powerade probably had something to do with it). A good few cyclists on the trail, I kept going, keeping one eye on the setting sun. Hit the end of the trail, and decided to have a pop at the intervals. Maybe just a couple of them. The trail is great for this kind of work, as it's good tarmac and flat as a pancake. Still, with the heat, the first interval nearly killed me. Not as much as the next one though. That really hurt. Third one was horrible, and after the fourth, between the smell of a nearby land-fill site rotting in the sun, and the stench of a skunk (a smell that needs to be experienced to be believed) I was fecked. The sun had dropped below the horizon. The buzzards were circling overhead, the unfortunate homeless Mexicans were eyeing me and the bushes were rattling with strange noises. I was done. Jacked it in. Headed up a concrete path to warm down, and the watch started beeping for the last interval, so I did the best I could and stuck it out until I was done. My legs won't thank me tomorrow for running an interval on hard concrete, but I'm happy that I did the best I could under the circumstances.

Intervals: 4:04/4:09/4:06/4:14/4:20

A quick cool-down and stretch in the pool, a bite to eat, and falling asleep in your chair. Priceless..

Summary: 2.6 mile warm-up, plus 6.75 miles of intervals/ 1.5 mile warm-down.

• Advertisement

This morning: 10 Mile easy run
    Body clock woke me up at 5am, so at 6am I figured I'd head out and run the first 5 of today's 15 miles. I know they should be run in one go, and not doing so defeats the purpose of the run, but I have to be realistic. There's no possible way I can complete a 15 mile run in the evenings while I'm over here. So I figured I'd get mile miles ticked off, and run the remaining 10 later on. The weather at 6am is typically Irish (typical of an Irish hot sunny day!), so quite cool by San Jose standards. The 5 miles went nice and easy, despite last night's 'interval-type-thingies' and it was so nice to run in the cool air, that I kept on going, and going.. until I had chalked up ten miles. It'll be nice to take the pressure off and finish with an easy 5 miles this evening. I might even get out to some shops this evening, though after last night's Walmart experience (soaking up American culture), enthusiasm is waning.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:14, @7:21/mile, HR=134

Advertisement