Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Sh1te. Did I sign up for that too?! I'll have to do a long run one of these days!

You will be grand, its on Saturday. LSR on Sunday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: National Half Marathon - PB: 1:19:48
    Last time I ran a half marathon that I wasn't pacing, was 2008, when I finished the Dublin Half Marathon in a rather disappointing 1:46. Since then, I've paced several half marathons, at 1:45 and 1:30 pace. So, technically my PB would be around 1:30, though I finished each half of Berlin marathon last year in 1:24.

The goal for today's race was to run the race at PMP (6:11/mile), seeing as I had missed out on a PMP session while working in the California heat last week. But at the back of my mind was the fact that 6:08/mile would take me under 1:20, so why not kill two birds with one race?

I slept well on Thursday night after the long haul flight, but the jetlag hit me on Friday and I only managed a disappointing 2-3 hours. At 5am I surrendered my bed and got up for my porridge. Thankfully my OH volunteered to do the driving down to Waterford, to revisit our college roots (I think she was afraid I'd fall asleep at the wheel), so I managed another 20 minutes of sleep in the car to Waterford-boy. Arriving down, it was great to meet so many familiar faces, in particular my new team-mates under the banner of Sli Cualann. Beepbeep handed me a singlet, and without a glance backwards, lest I be turned into a pillar of salt, I grasped it firmly, and left my native county clubs behind.

A nice easy warm-up mile on the track (my longest track run evah!) and I was good to go. I walked down with BeepBeep, sipping the last of my Lucozade sport drink. I went to put the empty bottle on a nearby wall, and the competitors were called for the start of the race, so by the time I joined the throngs, I was already half way down the field. Before I had a chance to start punching and kicking my way to the front (?) the gun went off and I found myself behind a lot of slower runners. I could lie and say that this greatly hampered my race, but the truth is that I actually prefer to start a third of the way down the field. After the initial crappy duck'n'dive of the first mile, I reap great benefit from running from group to group.

After half a mile of ducking and dodging, I ran into Village Runner, who was taking it easy with a planned 1:24 (as if!). A quick loop around some of my old drinking spots and we were headed out the mild drag of the Tramore Road. I passed BeepBeep who looked to be motoring nicely, and settled into a steady pace. Eventually I ran alongside a Blue Waterford singleted runner, and after moving slightly ahead, he introduced himself as Sosa. Nice to finally meet the guy whose training log I've been following for a couple of years. His goal was 1:20 which lined-up nicely with my own, but after a couple of miles, I seemed to be slowing while he was moving forward, and with so much of the race to go, I left him off as keeping up would only be detrimental to my own performance.

I kept pace with a couple of other runners (Amidou who'd beaten me in a couple of recent races being one of them) and we ticked off the next few miles just slightly off of target pace. As we hit the climb around the 7 mile mark, I was about 50m ahead of the immediate pack, but Amidou soon caught me (solid hill runner showing his strength). We ran together for bit, before we hit the downhill and again his strength showed as he opened up a healthy gap from me. We hit the half-way point in about 40:20, so a little behind track.

As we rounded the corner and hit the straight on the return leg to Waterford City, Amidou was rapidly disappearing into the distance, and I was very much on my own. I figured this would be dodgy territory for me, unless I could work my way into a pack. I could see Sosa and a group of other runners around 400m ahead, so I reckoned I needed to catch them in order to stick with the secondary goal of hitting 80 minutes, so I put the head down and picked up the pace. Sosa had picked up a knock, so I selfishly pushed on to catch the two Kilcoole AC runners ahead. I'm only new to the club, but I figured that there must be some sort of rivalry going on with the Kilcoole lads, so I figured scalps were probably important :). I ran in their shadow for a bit, and grabbed a SIS caffeinated gel, before pushing onwards.

Next few miles were magic. I felt strong as an ox. I picked up the pace, but for a slow mile 9 (slightly uphill), and was passing runners every couple of minutes. It was one of those times you live for in a race, when everything just seems to line up, and you feel invincible. Eventually we hit the roundabout near Woodies, and Amidou came back at me, and for some reason today, I passed him running comfortably, and was still passing other runners. One of the Rathfarnham runners (one of the occasional pacers, Greg maybe?) gave me a word of encouragement as he picked up the pace and went past me, which was much appreciated. I jumped into his shadow and went with him back into the RSC. I headed to the track for the last half lap, and felt really comfortable, picking up the pace to 5 min/mile for the last section, until I crossed the finish line in 1:19:48.

Happy to have ticked off both my boxes today, and to have felt so strong during the race. Definitely a couple of minutes to be knocked off today's time, if I can get my thumb out of my ass and actually push myself harder.

So it's reality time. I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm running more miles per week than I ever have before, and feel like I can run PBs across a range of distances. But.... I'm not in the kind of shape I need to be in to run a 2:42 marathon. I should be a lot faster over 10k, 10 miles, and 13.1 miles to hit that target. Even though I've run those PBs relatively comfortably, there's no way I'm in the right kind of shape. I'm going to continue to train towards the same goal, based on the same paces, but a reality check is required, and if I want to have a successful outcome in Chicago, I'll need to adjust my target time downwards.

Wrapped up with three miles with Village Runner who is getting ready to taper for Berlin. I left him after the three miles and the tiredness finally caught up with me. I was shagged. Sat down for a few minutes, and felt feverish. Sweat leaked out of every pore. Headed to the car and managed to get some food into me, and felt a little more normal after a couple of minutes. Really well organized race, and superb value at €20, with great PB potential (if it's not windy).

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:19:48, @6:05/mile, HR=163. Plus a warm-up mile and three miles warm-down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Great stuff. Even better when trans Atlantic flight and work etc are taken into consideration. Don't be too hasty in down grading target time. We all do it (talking myself out of it as we speak) aim high and make the final call a week out. You are not as far out as you may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

nice one...good time with more in the tank! sub 6's for the next half easily

Great stuff. Even better when trans Atlantic flight and work etc are taken into consideration. Don't be too hasty in down grading target time. We all do it (talking myself out of it as we speak) aim high and make the final call a week out. You are not as far out as you may think.
    I'm not really one for self-doubt (this entire log is proof of that fact!) but just looking at the data, I should be running 34:30 for 10kms, 57:50 for 10 miles, and 1:16 for the half. Even though I've taken the last few races easy, I'm waaay off those kind of numbers! I know I punch slightly above my weight in the marathon, so I'll stick to the plan for the time-being, but at the same time, a little bit of realism is in order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done on the PB KC. Great positives to be taken out of that kind of performance particularly with your recent Atlantic traverses and the 'pressure' of running your first race with a Sli Cualann vest :D

Today: 11.5 Mile easy run
    I'd hoped to get 15 miles run this morning, but had to cut my run short as I had a function in town to get to, so I got up as early as the jet-lag would allow, had a small breakfast and hit the road. A lovely run, with a couple of hills that made the legs feel really heavy after yesterday's race, and I wound up the run after 11.5 miles. Still, 61 miles for the week isn't bad, considering I lost a day to travel. In the end, I was late by the time I got into town, and the doors were all locked up, so I probably could've done the extra miles anyway (sorry WK!).

Now back into town to show some customers around some of the pubs in Dublin, and my last few pints until after Chicago (would rather just hit the couch and sleep).
    Summary: 11.5 miles in 1:25, @7:24/mile, HR=137

...and the 'pressure' of running your first race with a Sli Cualann vest :D
    All the pressure of the Sli Cualann vest was on my nipples. I've already spilled some blood for the Sli Cualann collective. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Excellent run KC. Take all the positives out of that run. You will be all the better for it in a couple of weeks. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'm not really one for self-doubt (this entire log is proof of that fact!) but just looking at the data, I should be running 34:30 for 10kms, 57:50 for 10 miles, and 1:16 for the half. Even though I've taken the last few races easy, I'm waaay off those kind of numbers! I know I punch slightly above my weight in the marathon, so I'll stick to the plan for the time-being, but at the same time, a little bit of realism is in order!

I think you need to look at it from a different angle. While many people would see them figures as being accurate for your target time, most people do not have the endurance background associated with Ultra running to back them up> This is one of your major strengths and I think you need to take that into account when setting your targets. You are gonna see alot less of a drop off in your times compared to most as a result it might not be essential to be able to hit those quicker times in order to be on track for your target

Well done on the race. Super running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

...It was one of those times you live for in a race, when everything just seems to line up, and you feel invincible....
    Krusty, that's fantastic running. Now you just need to figure out how to recapture that feeling for Chicago.

BTW, I agree with others who feel you may be selling yourself short for Chicago. If 1:19:xx really was that easy, then I think you won't be far off 2:42 if you can go to your limits and everything works out on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats great running, ya have to be happy with sub 1 20 ! If yer doin the Dublin half I might try and tail ya for as long as i can :rolleyes:

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats great running, ya have to be happy with sub 1 20 ! If yer doin the Dublin half I might try and tail ya for as long as i can :rolleyes:
    Hi smmoore, I am indeed doing the Dublin half, but I'm pacing the 1:30 group, so if I see sight or sound of you during the race, you deserve a good kicking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Top running, KC. Given the sleep deprivation and general bodily screwing about that coming back from the states hits you with (esp. West Coast), that's a massive run.

Got my own Sli vest last week; haven't worn it yet. Will bring plasters when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

great running KC , your a great man for setting target times in races that are rarely too far off the result .I see your garmin time is 6sec off the AAI results , 6 seems to be a magic number , have seen a couple of posts from people with 6 sec decrepancy to the bad ?! Best of luck with the new club , look forward to seeing ya at the half on 17th Sep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Im no expert, but when i ran my one and only decent marathon in Paris the time i was aiming for was more aspirational and less realistic the closer to the event i came. I downgraded and i was just under my new time on the day and it was right.

One thing i know is that the marathon is a race where knowing your race pace is vital.

If re-assessing your time is in order better to do it earlier, maybe. It wont make the training any easier but it means youll be able to complete the key sessions better (at least the ones whose pace are related to goal pace) assuming your new target is the correct one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

T runner wrote: »
    Im no expert, but when i ran my one and only decent marathon in Paris the time i was aiming for was more aspirational and less realistic the closer to the event i came. I downgraded and i was just under my new time on the day and it was right.

One thing i know is that the marathon is a race where knowing your race pace is vital.

If re-assessing your time is in order better to do it earlier, maybe. It wont make the training any easier but it means youll be able to complete the key sessions better (at least the ones whose pace are related to goal pace) assuming your new target is the correct one.

Good advice above. Are you doing the lakes 10k this weekend? Why not give that a right go and use that to set a target. I'm sure that's crossed your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good advice above. Are you doing the lakes 10k this weekend? Why not give that a right go and use that to set a target. I'm sure that's crossed your mind.

KC very strong and controlled running there on Sat.
    I wouldn't be so sure on a 10K 7 days after the half but then again you didn't go full out.
    You seem to be peaking nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great running KC, shape of your life indeed. Been following this log for nearly 3 years and your consistent progress is proabably the most impressive around this joint! Chapeau :)

I am planning on doing the lakes this weekend, but looking for three PBs in three weeks is probably a little over-optimistic. I didn't go flat-out last week though, and only pushed the pace for the last mile or two, so the legs feel fine. However, it is a high mileage week, with two back to back 15 milers, so not ideal for a 10k race.

I've hit all of the PMP sessions in the plan, and they've been tough, but just about manageable. There are no pmp sessions left in the plan. What bothers me is the comparative times. I'll suck it up for the moment and see how Saturday's race goes. Thanks as always for the advice and encouragement folks. If nothing else, I've enjoyed this marathon training program so far, and have been enjoying the races along the way, so all is good, despite some small misgivings.

• Advertisement

Morning: 15 mile medium long run
    With a long work day ahead and work dinner afterwards, I had to get this one out of the way early, so I set my alarm for an ungodly 5:30am, and was ready to hit the road at 6am (what have I become?!). Still quite dark (and wintery!) at that hour, so was equipped with long sleeves, head-torch and Newstalk's Off the Ball repeat on the radio. Had planned to head towards Stepaside, but it was just too dark and dangerous on the back-roads, even with the head torch, so headed out towards Blackrock and on to Booterstown. A head-wind for the first 7.5 miles, that slowed the pace, but gave me a lovely glide, on my way home. Great feeling having dusted 15 miles in the morning, and arriving home while the rest of the family are still finishing off breakfast. Beginning to see the attraction of TBubendorfer's lifestyle. Seriously, what have I become? ;)

Summary: 15 miles in 1:53, @7:30/mile, HR=132

Lunch-time: Nice easy 6 mile recovery run
    Nice and easy run in Corkagh, with my work buddy. 5 miles turned into six, and I barely noticed as the going was so easy.
    Summary: 6 miles in 52 mins, @8:32/mile, HR=117

Evening: 7.75 miles with 5x600m @5k pace
    I admit it. I completely screwed up my training schedule. I copied the whole thing into Google calendar to make life easier. So when I read 15 mile runs back to back, I thought: hmm.. Tough.. But in the 70mpw plan, probably to be expected. There are no back to back 15 mile runs in the P&D schedule. I juggled the schedule for the 1/2 marathon at the weekend, and screwed up my cutting and pasting. So instead, I did the run I should've done yesterday. It was supposed to be a total of 9 miles, but as I'd already done a recovery run earlier today, I figured I'd just do what I needed to get the short intervals wrapped up.

Checked the weather forecast, westerly wind. Grand, I'll stick on the wet smelly gear (Ewww..), and just get the run over and done with. I'll head towards Tallaght and back to wards the office, as it's in a North South direction and the wind won't be too bad. Three miles out from the office I came across this new road, alongside the red LUAS line, with tarmac so new and fresh, you could sleep soundly on it. Eventully turned around to start the intervals, and faced into torrential rain and really strong winds. First interval was horrendous. Faced with awful weather, I over-compensated and started out at 4:40/mile and finished up at 6:05/mile.

The next few intervals were tough, with swirling winds, but the pace was a little more regular (5:27, 5:25, 5:25, 5:15, and 5:08 per mile). Last one was noticeably down-hill. Soaked (again), and covered in road-dirt. Ewww..

Summary: 7.74 Miles

Evening: 7.75 miles with 5x600m @5k pace
    I admit it. I completely screwed up my training schedule. I copied the whole thing into Google calendar to make life easier. So when I read 15 mile runs back to back, I thought: hmm.. Tough.. But in the 70mpw plan, probably to be expected. There are no back to back 15 mile runs in the P&D schedule. I juggled the schedule for the 1/2 marathon at the weekend, and screwed up my cutting and pasting. So instead, I did the run I should've done yesterday. It was supposed to be a total of 9 miles, but as I'd already done a recovery run earlier today, I figured I'd just do what I needed to get the short intervals wrapped up.

Checked the weather forecast, westerly wind. Grand, I'll stick on the wet smelly gear (Ewww..), and just get the run over and done with. I'll head towards Tallaght and back to wards the office, as it's in a North South direction and the wind won't be too bad. Three miles out from the office I came across this new road, alongside the red LUAS line, with tarmac so new and fresh, you could sleep soundly on it. Eventully turned around to start the intervals, and faced into torrential rain and really strong winds. First interval was horrendous. Faced with awful weather, I over-compensated and started out at 4:40/mile and finished up at 6:05/mile.

The next few intervals were tough, with swirling winds, but the pace was a little more regular (5:27, 5:25, 5:25, 5:15, and 5:08 per mile). Last one was noticeably down-hill. Soaked (again), and covered in road-dirt. Ewww..

Summary: 7.74 Miles

That new road bout half a mile from the house and is nearly exactly milie long its as if its made for intervals. will be sorry when they do actually open it to cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Hey KC Apologies if i was maybe a bit short with you at the finish line Saturday,i was fairly pi$$ed off having to walk parts of it especially on my own patch.
    I was in no humour for anything,would have liked to run a few easy miles with you for a cool down but i just went home,said nothing to no one.
    Hopefully next time we meet i'll be in better form.

Sosa wrote: »
    Hey KC Apologies if i was maybe a bit short with you at the finish line Saturday,i was fairly pi$$ed off having to walk parts of it especially on my own patch.
    I was in no humour for anything,would have liked to run a few easy miles with you for a cool down but i just went home,said nothing to no one.
    Hopefully next time we meet i'll be in better form.
    Hey, I didn't notice you were in bad form, and if you were, I would expect it of anyone who picked up an injury during a race. I remember being in a fouler for two months the last time I had an injury. Hopefully you're well on your way to being on the mend, and can resume where you left off as soon as possible. Sure I went for an easy run afterwards with Village Runner, which you wouldn't have enjoyed anyway, for all the Kilkenny/Waterford wise-cracks. Of course I was gentlemanly enough at the time not to mention that the Kilkenny cat was beaten by a Jackeen. :)

ecoli wrote: »
    That new road bout half a mile from the house and is nearly exactly milie long its as if its made for intervals. will be sorry when they do actually open it to cars
    It's a beautiful stretch of road, spoiled only by the occasional broken bottle! For some reason, I ran on the path/cycling track. Old habits die hard. Being three miles from my office, it's the perfect distance away for intervals. What's the other side of the R136 like (i.e. out towards City West)? Is there an equally luxurious freshly cut tract of tarmac?

Couldn't believe my warm-up on the track in Waterford before the half marathon. It was like running on squishy marshmallows. Will have to try some more of this track stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

[QUOTE=Krusty_Clown;74275113 Three miles out from the office I came across this new road, alongside the red LUAS line, with tarmac so new and fresh, you could sleep soundly on it. [/QUOTE]

Funny that but I also "discovered" that new stretch on my run yesterday.
    I was sick of my regular route so when off on an 8th mile adventure to find new running routes places in Tallaght. I miscalculated where I was ( I have been known to get lost in multi store car parks) and found that
    It felt so nice

Abhainn wrote: »
    Funny that but I also "discovered" that new stretch on my run yesterday.
    I was sick of my regular route so when off on an 8th mile adventure to find new running routes places in Tallaght. I miscalculated where I was ( I have been known to get lost in multi store car parks) and found that
    It felt so nice
    Sure we'll have to meet-up there at some stage and run some intervals with ecoli, alongside the LUAS!

• Advertisement

Sure we'll have to meet-up there at some stage and run some intervals with ecoli, alongside the LUAS!

Its not every road that comes with a Sub 4 min mile pacer:D.

@ Abhainn: Apologies for never getting around to meet ups for them runs had a 10 day "break" only getting back to myself this week. When are you heading off to China?

Advertisement