Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'll be a few mins behind but expecting you lads to cut me a path through the crowds! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Having a good laugh re "toilet break". I had similar last night on a run but i was in a built up area so managed to dip into a Boozer and quickly dip out again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Managed to blag my way past the barriers this morning, and parked up the motorcycle around 200m from the finish line. Score! Set the tone for a superb day, where everything seems to have lined up perfectly (yes, I'm currently watching the rugby!).

Met Hard Worker and the pacers (nice to meet a few new faces too) and with about 10 minutes to go, headed off to pick up the weather balloons. These things were bloody magnificent! They don't seem so big at the start of Dublin City Marathon, but here, in the confines of the Phoenix Park, they seemed huge. Made my way with theRoadRunner (pacing partner in crime) to the start. Jumped into the pen pretty close to the start line (around 300 people ahead of us), and then we met Seres (who looked to be in fighting form) and Patrick_K with his Lecheile cohort, and then a number of other folks I've run with in the past, re-introduced themselves. It's great to run with a bunch of people you've paced before. Creates a really friendly positive vibe.

The first mile was the usual race series affair, with some fiercely under-paced runners starting exactly were they shouldn't. Instead of dodging and weaving, I just shouted my way through the various runners (rude but fair!). We were on track by the end of the first mile, which surprised me greatly as the pace felt too comfortable. Next couple of miles were about settling into the pace. TRR was fortunately around 30 metres ahead, so when he lost his balloon to a low hanging fir tree, I had enough time to reel in my balloon and avoid the same fate. Mile by mile, we hit the target spot on (typically around 3-4 seconds ahead of our 1:29:40 target) and at each mile the pace group were fantastic, giving us huge encouragement, and congratulating us all the way.

Each mile ticked off, and all the familiar faces were running a stormer. At mile 10, we were around 8 seconds ahead of target. Couldn't ask for more. Seres (still looking very strong) started to push on for home, and shortly afterwards, Patrick_K and a number of other runners started to lengthen their stride, getting a sniff of the final down-hill before the final climb/straight to the finish. Great to see so many runners getting their strategy spot-on, and having the strength to pick up the pace towards the latter part of a race. Caught-up with the runners around us who were picking up the pace, we gained an extra bit of time on the downhill (20 seconds ahead of target), which worked out well on the steep climb towards the finish line.

We crested the hill with a large enough group, who all started to pick up the pace as soon as they had recovered. We dropped back a little, to encourage those who weren't pushing onwards at this stage, and ran under the finish gantry in 1:29:40 (1:29:36 chip time), a full second ahead of TheRoadRunner. :D

Great to meet so many happy sub-90 finishers in the chute afterwards, and there were sooo many. Delighted to have been a part of their journey. It was a solid training run for me too. This is the fourth sub 90 minute half marathon I have pace in the last year, and never has one felt so comfortable, which is echoed by the heart rate stats (average HR=145), so another confidence booster for my own upcoming goal.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:29:40

Post-race: Found a 2 mile trail loop, and ran it three times, with another mile added on, just to round the mileage up to 20 miles for the day, and tick off my weekend long run, all done at a decent clip. On the second and third-loops, I had a touch of dehydration, to remind me of the fact that I had only drank two cups of water and one gel (handed to me at the end of the race). A solid finish, to a cracking day.
    Summary: 7 miles in 48 mins, @6:59/mile, HR=147

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Thanks again KC for a super pacing job, rock solid the whole way.
    Made my day a damn site easier!
    Dave will learn a lot from todays experience and be a better pacer for it ;-)
    I'll look forward to running behind you again in 6 weeks or so.

Cheers
    PK

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Dave will learn a lot from todays experience and be a better pacer for it ;-)
    But Dave did all the hard work! Someone had to clear all the debris some eejits had left on the side of the course! A bit mad seeing that young deer hit the edge of the course, only to realize we weren't a large herd of deer. Never seen an animal back-pedal in such a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

But Dave did all the hard work! Someone had to clear all the debris some eejits had left on the side of the course! A bit mad seeing that young deer hit the edge of the course, only to realize we weren't a large herd of deer. Never seen an animal back-pedal in such a hurry.

Better than last year when a deer wiped a runner out in the last mile. Of all the ways to lose a PB that has to be one of the harshest ways to lose it

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Had forgotten all about that!
    Poor little devil was in a blind panic - probably saw Dave and was worried what he'd do!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Patrick_K wrote: »
    Had forgotten all about that!
    Poor little devil was in a blind panic - probably saw Dave and was worried what he'd do!!! :)

Jesus. You nearly kill somebody with your pacIng balloon and you get blamed on everything else that goes wrong. I actually missed that deer. Krusty mentioned it at the end but I thought he was referring to another incident in the 10 miler. Just goes to show how much I was in the zone with my pacing duties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks for yesterday KC , job well done , you were great getting the crowds goin for encouragement , really enjoyed the race , hopefully my racing and your pacing will crossover again in the near future

Seres wrote: »
    thanks for yesterday KC , job well done , you were great getting the crowds goin for encouragement , really enjoyed the race , hopefully my racing and your pacing will crossover again in the near future
    Hi Seres, it was a pleasure. Congrats on a cracking performance. Next time you'll be going too fast for any of the pacing groups to be of any benefit. :)

• Advertisement

Today: 13.1 Mile easy run
    Soggy, wet, tired loop, just to clock up the miles, to hit peak mileage, before taper time (75.76 miles). Nice route though, taking in the country-side and the sea, but most notable because it marks the official beginning of taper. Time to give up the biscuits. :rolleyes:

Summary:13.1 miles in 1:40, @7:34/mile, HR=131

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Hi Seres, it was a pleasure. Congrats on a cracking performance. Next time you'll be going too fast for any of the pacing groups to be of any benefit. :)
    I here you pace for longer distances too , there is one long race looming that i havent done yet !

Today: 8 Miles with 5x600m @5k pace
    A much needed rest day yesterday, as everything was feeling a little tender after a tough week of training. Don't know how the really high mileage guys cope, but I guess I might find out next year. Day two of taper was marked by some 600m reps at 5k pace. I realized that the last time I ran these, I got the recoveries entirely wrong. They should have been 50-90%, but instead were closer to 110%. Fixed them this time around, and went for 90 seconds (75%). Even with the shorter recovery, they were a lot easier than last time, as there was no noticeable wind, and no dumb-ass 6 mile run beforehand. The local park also has a temporary surface, that is as soft as whipped cream. So not a bad run, despite my best efforts to sabotage it by starting each interval at around 4:40/mile.

Intervals: 2:01/2:02/2:02/1:59/2:00
    Average HR=158

Summary: 8 miles in 58 mins, @7:17/mile.

Today: 12 Mile easy run
    Weather played a pretty massive part in today's lunch-time run. Pretty benign heading out, but by the time I hit the new road in Tallaght, the wind was so strong, it was pushing me forward. I had to put the brakes on, it was that string. A longish loop that took in just a little too much concrete. Once I hit 9 miles, the weather turned really nasty, with a really strong head-wind and freezing sleet/hail/rain. I was really glad I had brought my sun-glasses (clear lense), but eventually it was impossible to look through the glasses, with the strength of the wind and rain. Just an average Irish day then.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:27, @7:17/mile, HR=136

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Today: ......most notable because it marks the official beginning of taper. Time to give up the biscuits. :rolleyes:

As i munch through a couple of hobnobs, once again your infinite wisdom and superior training/ tapering wisdom puts my preparation in the shade.

Bring on chicago!

Killerz wrote: »
    As i munch through a couple of hobnobs, once again your infinite wisdom and superior training/ tapering wisdom puts my preparation in the shade.

Bring on chicago!
    I'll be making my patented flap-jacks tonight, which are healthy (largely!) and very filling, which will keep the hunger pangs at bay. Bring on Chicago indeed! Two weeks until I travel (that's just 5,040 Simpsons).

Today: 6 Mile easy grass park-run
    Just the regular run with the work buddy, around Corkagh Park. He's speeding up though and the distances are getting longer. Soon, I'll need to find a way to break him, so that it continues to be a run at recovery pace. Any suggestions?

Summary: 6 miles in 49 mins, @8:11/mile, HR=123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

sorry if you've discussed this before, but what chicago marathon like ?
    in terms of course elevation etc and how do you expect it to compare to the likes of dublin. are you going all out for a good time (as in poss pb time?)

sorry if you've discussed this before, but what chicago marathon like ?
    in terms of course elevation etc and how do you expect it to compare to the likes of dublin. are you going all out for a good time (as in poss pb time?)
    It's 26.2 mile long, and flat as a pancake. :) The biggest concern is the weather, as every year it fluctuates between a heat-wave (last two years) and sub-freezing temperatures (three years ago). So fingers crossed we get something bang in the middle between the two extremes.

Yep, I'm aiming for a PB. In fact, I'm reaching beyond what I think may be beyond my current capability, but I'm sticking with the plan and I'm going to give it a go. I have enough PBs in the bag recently, that I'm happy to give it a try, whatever the outcome may be. Whatever the outcome, it won't be for a want of trying.

Today: More recovery runs
    I don't remember all these recovery runs from the last time I followed this program, but the body still feels like it took a proper beating last week, so I'm not gonna complain. My schedule is a little messed up at the moment. Was supposed to race 10k on Saturday and long run (17 miles) on Sunday, but the only decent race I can find on this island is on Sunday, so I'll run the race and then try and rack-up another 10 miles afterwards (which kind of defeats the purpose of the P&D pain-fest, but ports in a storm and all that).

Miles so far this year: 1,998.25, so the additional four mile lunch-time recovery run will see me cross the mighty barrier. I'm fully expecting balloons, banners and lemonade when I return to work. I've a feeling I'll be disappointed.
    Summary: 6 recovery miles with 6x150m strides in 46 mins, @7:39/mile, HR=132

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm fully expecting balloons, banners and lemonade when I return to work.

We would not insult one of the sub3 superheros with such frivolity. Fluffy bunny awards are for mere mortals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

........and flat as a pancake. ....

Mmmmmmh pancakes ! (said in homer voice)

RayCun wrote: »
    We would not insult one of the sub3 superheros with such frivolity. Fluffy bunny awards are for mere mortals.
    Who am I kidding? Toilet paper is a luxury, where I work.

Today Part Deux: 4 Easy miles
    And so another paragraph closes another chapter in the book that is 2011. After running my 2,000th mile, I stopped on the new bridge over the old canal and wept a tear. Not a tear for joy, nor a tear of sadness, I wept because there was a fly in my eye, and it was the only way I could jog it loose. I think it may still be in there. Perhaps a fitting reminder of all the miles that have passed beneath the souls of my my feet. I shall not tread this path again. It was full of knackers who wished to separate me from my electronics. Tonight, perhaps a beer, maybe two, to mark the passing of this great milestone... and a shot of Optrex, for the fly.

Summary: 2,002 miles, in 259:59:58, @7:48/mile, HR=140, Calories=233,657

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Today: Was supposed to race 10k on Saturday a
    portarlington 10k on tomorrow....i tink

ultraman1 wrote: »
    portarlington 10k on tomorrow....i tink
    Cheers Anto, but I'm cup-tied at this stage. Running the Wicklaw hills tromorrow, near Rathdrum.

Today: Just an easy 5 miles
    Dropped the kids off at various sporting activities, before running an easy 5 miles around Brownian's stalking ground. Calf muscles are quite knotted at this stage, so will have to try and find a way to loosen them up before tomorrow. Dare I fix my puncture and give the bike another go? Foam roller? Both? Hmm.. Feeling lazy. Will see..

Summary: 5 miles in 39:33, @7:50/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Rumour speaks of a PB and a podium? Where's the report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

brownian wrote: »
    Rumour speaks of a PB and a podium? Where's the report?

No sign on the results sheets from this race:confused:

http://precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/188

• Advertisement

This race seems to have largely slipped under the radar for a provincial road-race, and clashed with the far more populous Rathfarnham 5k (surprised both races are allowed to run at the same time), but my program called for a 10k, so I figured this would be the more suitable race.

After the Lakes 10k two weeks ago (36:16) I figure I could duck under 36:00, given a flatter course and better weather conditions. Well, I got neither today. Asimonov had helpfully sent me a course profile (thanks mate!) so I knew the course was two laps of rolling hills, but I figured if the wind was pointing in the right direction, this could be my race.

Met up with Beepbeep and Finn and went for an easy 2k warm-up. Thankfully the knot in my calf didn't seem to be interfering with my stride (went for the bike + foam roller option last night). We lined-up at the start (lots of Sli Cualann singlets) and on the traditional starter whistle, we were off.

I started at the back of the group, of approximately 45 60 150 competitors (that number may be up to 300 competitors by the time I finish this race report) and within the first few hundred metres moved to the rear of the leading group. We were on an easy downhill, with a slight head-wind. To hit 35:xx I would need to run at average pace 5:45. We were running a little too slow for the downhill, so for the second time ever I pushed slightly forward, and joined the other two runners at the front of the group. When we hit the bottom of the hill and turned left, I was in second place, but the leading runner was just beginning to lengthen his stride. No doubt who was going to win this race. He started to ease ahead so I held up a bit and was joined by Martin Francis, Finn and another runner (Tullamore, I think).

On the hill climb the Tullamore runner opened a gap, and I in turn started to open a gap on the two Bray Runners (Finn unfortunately had to drop out due to a re-occurrence of a recent injury). I found the hills really tough and could feel my pace slowing, but I didn't hear any footfalls behind me, so figured everyone was struggling equally into the wind. The gap ahead had widened to 20m. Hit the second hill, and I was struggling hard, but finally crested the climb and was back on the flat again.

On the second loop I determined to pick up the pace on the downhill, but try as I might, into the wind I couldn't make any ground on second place, and the watch was showing 5:48/mile average pace. With the tough part of the route to go, I knew at this stage that the 35:xx had slipped from my grasp once more. I hit a low patch, and was questioning what the hell I was doing. I figured the PB was gone too. After a while, I snapped out of it, realizing that at the end of the day, I was coming third in a race, and that was worth fighting on for. I was wondering when the pursuing runners would catch up with me, but every time I passed some bystanders who clapped or gave some encouragement, I listened out for when they greeted the other runners, but heard nothing. I refused to look back, as I knew that as soon as I did, my race was over. If I saw someone gaining on me, I was toast. If I saw nobody, my will would be sapped.

I crested the second hill, and one of the organizers let me know that I was safe, and I was on my way to winning a Leinster medal. :eek: This gave me the lift I needed to pick up the pace to the finish line, finishing at 5k pace. I crossed the finish line glad that I had managed to place in another race, even if the field was embarrassingly small. Martin finished shortly afterwards in 5th, and BeepBeep finished in 11th soon afterwards, to give us the county medal (I think!).

I only managed to check my time a few minutes afterwards, and was surprised to see a one second PB on the watch, thinking that based on my average pace, I had messed up completely. Looking at the distance it seemed short, but Jimmy Sinnott re-assured me that the distance was spot on. Zooming in on the route afterwards, I can see that the Garmin route cut the corners, giving me a slower average pace than I actually ran. So I'll grudgingly take my new 1 second PB.

We hung around for the other 45 300 runners to finish, and then went for a couple of kilometers to warm-down. Nice food spread laid on afterwards, and then I picked up my shiny new Leinster medal, along with the county team medal(?), and the team silver medal. Quite the Mr T. heading away from Rathdrum. I know that there are literally hundreds of runner who could've shown-up and snatched that medal from my grasp, but they didn't show-up today, so by a great stroke of luck, it came home with me.

So what of my 35:xx goal? I know it's well within reach. I either need to find a nice flat course on a windless day, or else I need to start hitting more hills (which doesn't align very well with my immediate goals) and get faster. It's there, just not today. Sadly, I didn't get to complete the extra 10 miles afterwards, as I had to rush off to a funeral the other side of the country, so I'll have to pick these up tomorrow, and play catch up with my scheduled mileage.

Summary: 10k in 36:15, @168bpm

Advertisement