Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Was it for cash reward that Liddell and Abrahams sought their chariot of fire?; did Jesse Owens outrace the Third Reich in quest of riches?; was Jonathan Edwards compelled to compete on the Sabbath for the glory of Mammon? A pox on your professional status, Sir, may you and Rihanna be cursed to an eternity of fornicating amidst undressed fields and riches.
    "An athlete cannot run with money in his pockets. He must run with hope in his heart & dreams in his head. -Emil Zatopek"

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

"An athlete cannot run with money in his pockets. He must run with hope in his heart & dreams in his head. -Emil Zatopek"

Complete and utter lies Emil. I did 18 miles on Sunday morning with a 2 euro coin in my pocket.

Today: 9.5 Miles with 3 x 1Mile @5k pace
    For some it's the tempo sessions. For others, it the long runs with the PMP miles. For me, it's this session right here. This is the one I dread the most. More even than lining up at the start of a 10k tune-up race, or even the marathon itself. This is the litmus test, that tells me whether I'm faster than last year or slower. Perhaps I put too much value on this session, but I get a great boost out of it too and it comes at just the right time, with just 9 or 10 days to go before the goal marathon.

So it was with great hesitation that I put on the singlet, shorts and fast running shoes and headed for ecoli-town in the strong sunshine. Because of the weather, I brought a bottle of water with me, to have a few sups between intervals. A bit of a head-wind, so I changed my plan, and decided to run up and back on ecoli-street, hugging the wall, to try and steer clear of the wind and sunshine. My target was 5.21 for each interval.

Mile 1: Started out with a real bounce in my step. Lovely springy tarmac. This was gonna be easy. 1/3 of a mile later, I revised my opinion. Eventually I did a quick about turn into the wind and started heading back the way I came. It was getting really tough, but the mile was ticking off. Finished in 5:19.8.
    Mile 2: More of the same. Springy start, tough middle, hard finish. 5:20.0
    Mile 3: Less springy start. Legs tired, but knew it was the last one. A bit of HTFU required after turning back into the wind, but after that it was just a case of holding on, while the watch ticked off the distance. 5:17.1.

The 4:15 (80%) recovery was too long, and I was well recovered long before the next interval was due to commence, but didn't want to go changing it after the intervals had started (the plan recommends 50%-90%). Each of the above miles would be a new mile PB and I got my heart pumping back in high gear, so I'm very happy with how the session went. It doesn't guarantee a good outcome in nine days time, but it does offer a glimmer of hope. Now the Brownian taper begins. :)

Summary: 9.5 miles with some feckin tough intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Savidge session. Say you were good value in work this afternoon :).

Those mile times are pretty scary - nice going!

brownian wrote: »
    Savidge session. Say you were good value in work this afternoon :).

Those mile times are pretty scary - nice going!
    No worse in work than usual (interpret that how you will!). It has given me a taste for having a pop at a sub 5 minute mile, though I'm really getting a feeling for just how hard that would be. I reckon the legs and body could manage the training, but I'm not so sure about the lungs and aerobic system. Too many years of cigarettes and bad living.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

savage stuff, great session with 9 days to go. Great to get the heart pounding and legs pumping. Any rough idea of a definitive target pace yet? How does that session compare to what you did last year. I'm guessing better!

savage stuff, great session with 9 days to go. Great to get the heart pounding and legs pumping. Any rough idea of a definitive target pace yet? How does that session compare to what you did last year. I'm guessing better!
    Cheers. Plan is still the same as day one. Target: 2:42 (target pace: 6:12/mile). I know it's a massive reach, but I'm going for it anyway. When I see the other guys who have hit that kind of number (Abhainn, T-Runner, etc) I know I'm not a patch on those guys and the kind of general shape/times they were running. But I've had a bloody good year (by my standards), so I'm willing to take on the risk of blowing up to hit the goal. If I fail, it'll strengthen my resolve to try harder and become more dedicated. If I succeed - party time!

Last year those mile repeats were: 5:25/5:29/5:22. Can't compare effort, as my HR monitor was knackered at the time. What's more important is that both times I hit the planned numbers. I can't read too much into it, other than a fuzzy feel good factor. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

. Because of the weather, I brought a bottle of water with me, to have a few sups between intervals.

Good call on the water Krusty...I has a fairly bad workout today from a hydration perspective- not fun being stuck on the far side of the Phoenix Park completely dehydrated!

drquirky wrote: »
    Good call on the water Krusty...I has a fairly bad workout today from a hydration perspective- not fun being stuck on the far side of the Phoenix Park completely dehydrated!
    Strangely I got a sun-tan running in the sun today. Thankfully there was a cool breeze, so I didn't notice too much. Running back to work afterwards though I could feel the heat on my back. By the time I got back to the office, it was cool and overcast. Strange country!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ddel

Cheers. Plan is still the same as day one. Target: 2:42 (target pace: 6:12/mile). I know it's a massive reach, but I'm going for it anyway. When I see the other guys who have hit that kind of number (Abhainn, T-Runner, etc) I know I'm not a patch on those guys and the kind of general shape/times they were running. But I've had a bloody good year (by my standards), so I'm willing to take on the risk of blowing up to hit the goal. If I fail, it'll strengthen my resolve to try harder and become more dedicated. If I succeed - party time!

Last year those mile repeats were: 5:25/5:29/5:22. Can't compare effort, as my HR monitor was knackered at the time. What's more important is that both times I hit the planned numbers. I can't read too much into it, other than a fuzzy feel good factor. :)

Great session.

I know what you mean about no HR data to comapre efforts but I've found the shorter the session (as in mile pace, 5k pace) the closer to "flat out" it is anyway so HR or no HR you are just at your limit to keep going. Whereas with MP running or tempo runs you can cheat yourself if you don't have the HR to reign you in and you can turn an MP run into something between MP and tempo or turn a tempo session into "slightly slower" than 10k pace and fool yourself into belieiving it was quick, when it was really just pushing harder.

3x1mile is just tough and I'd take both sessions as fair comparisons - well done.

Jesus - 2.42, that would be so impressive - good luck

• Advertisement

ddel wrote: »
    Great session.

I know what you mean about no HR data to comapre efforts but I've found the shorter the session (as in mile pace, 5k pace) the closer to "flat out" it is anyway so HR or no HR you are just at your limit to keep going. Whereas with MP running or tempo runs you can cheat yourself if you don't have the HR to reign you in and you can turn an MP run into something between MP and tempo or turn a tempo session into "slightly slower" than 10k pace and fool yourself into belieiving it was quick, when it was really just pushing harder.

3x1mile is just tough and I'd take both sessions as fair comparisons - well done.
    I don't actually look at my HR until after a session, so just find it a useful comparison point afterwards. But as you said, both sessions would have been pretty much flat out, so there isn't a huge amount to learn.
    ddel wrote: »
    Jesus - 2.42, that would be so impressive - good luck
    Cheers ddel, we can but dream! I printed out my pace band yesterday. Scary stuff! I don't tend to follow a rigid pacing strategy during a marathon, preferring to run comfortably, so we'll see what 'comfortably' looks like on the day. The pacing band is just to let me know if I'm under or over. Unfortunately the Garmin is of little use in Chicago, where the satellite reception for the first 5k is rubbish. So I might run a 5k pb, followed by the slowest 23 miles in history!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Hi PB (KC),

Fab session - your times are really good but an even better barometer to your fitness is your recovery between intervals, this I feel should give you more confidence than the times themselves.:D
    For some it's the tempo sessions. For others, it the long runs with the PMP miles. For me, it's this session right here. This is the one I dread the most. More even than lining up at the start of a 10k tune-up race, or even the marathon itself. This is the litmus test, that tells me whether I'm faster than last year or slower. Perhaps I put too much value on this session, but I get a great boost out of it too and it comes at just the right time, with just 9 or 10 days to go before the goal marathon.

So it was with great hesitation that I put on the singlet, shorts and fast running shoes and headed for ecoli-town in the strong sunshine. Because of the weather, I brought a bottle of water with me, to have a few sups between intervals. A bit of a head-wind, so I changed my plan, and decided to run up and back on ecoli-street, hugging the wall, to try and steer clear of the wind and sunshine. My target was 5.21 for each interval.

Mile 1: Started out with a real bounce in my step. Lovely springy tarmac. This was gonna be easy. 1/3 of a mile later, I revised my opinion. Eventually I did a quick about turn into the wind and started heading back the way I came. It was getting really tough, but the mile was ticking off. Finished in 5:19.8.
    Mile 2: More of the same. Springy start, tough middle, hard finish. 5:20.0
    Mile 3: Less springy start. Legs tired, but knew it was the last one. A bit of HTFU required after turning back into the wind, but after that it was just a case of holding on, while the watch ticked off the distance. 5:17.1.

The 4:15 (80%) recovery was too long, and I was well recovered long before the next interval was due to commence, but didn't want to go changing it after the intervals had started (the plan recommends 50%-90%). Each of the above miles would be a new mile PB and I got my heart pumping back in high gear, so I'm very happy with how the session went. It doesn't guarantee a good outcome in nine days time, but it does offer a glimmer of hope. Now the Brownian taper begins. :)

Pronator wrote: »
    Hi PB (KC),

Fab session - your times are really good but an even better barometer to your fitness is your recovery between intervals, this I feel should give you more confidence than the times themselves.:D
    Cheers pronator. You always know the right things to say!

Now, how about this for a recovery run: 5 miles @7:47/mile, HR=163 :eek:
    Either my heart rate monitor is on the blink, or my ticker has completely given up the ghost. On a positive note, I have a new max heart rate of 210. :rolleyes:
    A timely reminder that technology doesn't run races for you, all it does is provide data (potentially flawed data).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great session alright, but is that a bit faster than your current 5K pace?
    Not that that's a problem, just shows you can do damage to your shorter PBs when you get the chance.
    Enjoy the rest of the taper.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Great session alright, but is that a bit faster than your current 5K pace?
    Not that that's a problem, just shows you can do damage to your shorter PBs when you get the chance.
    Enjoy the rest of the taper.
    Yes, absolutely. Approximately 12 seconds per mile faster than my last 5k race (though I ran the 5k race before I started marathon training, so I reckon a realistic 5k pace might be 5:28/mile (7 seconds slower than I've been training to)). I know that my training pace should be based on a realistic 5k pace and not an aspirational 5k pace, but pushing that little bit harder has always worked for me in the past. It comes at a risk (injury/over-training), but it has always been a risk I've been willing to accept.

Today: 10k recovery run with 7x150m sploshes
    A bit of a fugly run today. Should have been getting loads of sleep last night but it just didn't work out like that. So I was tired and stiff heading out into the monsoon. Watch refused to pick up any signals for around 5 minutes which didn't help the bit of a foul mood. I normally enjoy getting out for any run, so being in a bit of a strop for this one was unusual for me. Things picked up a little with the strides and I started to feel a little better, but generally a run best forgotten.

One a positive note, picked up some xc shoes (brooks speed dragon). They look a little too bling for my liking (will heave to get 'em nice and muddy before the first race!) but they fit like a glove, so will look forward to giving them a try out. Question: If you live 1/4 mile from where you intent to run wearing spikes, how do you get there? Do you walk in the spikes or bring a change of shoes? :confused:

Summary: 6.2 miles in 46 mins, @7:23, HR=126

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I had a 6 miler today at lunchtime. Exact same conditions, same watch problems, same strop. :)

I had a 6 miler today at lunchtime. Exact same conditions, same watch problems, same strop. :)
    That's good to know. Misery enjoys company. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Question: If you live 1/4 mile from where you intent to run wearing spikes, how do you get there? Do you walk in the spikes or bring a change of shoes? :confused:

I'd wear the spikes like glooves and wave them around in a threatening manner - you are going past the playground on a Sunday morning right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'd wear the spikes like glooves and wave them around in a threatening manner - you are going past the playground on a Sunday morning right?

Could be like pretending you are Edward Scissorhands if you have the right spikes in them (and given the rain last two days most likey you will be up around 12mms):D

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Could be like pretending you are Edward Scissorhands if you have the right spikes in them (and given the rain last two days most likey you will be up around 12mms):D
    Hmm.. Between the 'noggin, the 'brack, the 'kill and Bray'jing I might need 24mm spikes.

Today: 13.1 mile mini-progression run
    After a lazy morning basking in the glow of the rugby, I set up an advanced workout in Garmin Connect in the form of a progression run, concluding with a mile at pmp, before a couple of warm-down miles. The purpose was as much to control the pace early on, as it was to get a little taste of what pmp feels like, after ratcheting up a number of miles (my program hasn't had any pmp work for 5-6 weeks). I hit the road at about the equivalent time that the race will kick-off in Chicago next weekend.

I have to say the Garmin Connect program worked out really well. Over the first 6 miles I got constant reminders to slow-down, which helped keep things very much in the comfortable zone. The three miles at 6:50 felt more comfortable than most of the previous slower miles. The PMP mile (6:15 - had to stop for a gate) effort level was noticeably greater, but the heart rate was bang on the right range. The two recovery miles were a little quick; a sign that I just wanted to get the run over and done with.

Ireland's next match will be at mid-night on Friday evening/Saturday morning, so will have to work out some way to watch it (without going to a pub!). Anyone recommend an Irish proxy? ;) This time next week, I shall mostly be drinking beer.

Summary: 11 miles @7:09/mile + 2.1 miles @7:08/mile (cool-down?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ireland's next match will be at mid-night on Friday evening/Saturday morning, so will have to work out some way to watch it (without going to a pub!). Anyone recommend an Irish proxy? ;)

If you check the Rugby forum on Boards about 30 minutes before the match you'll have your choice of streams to watch the game. I was in France for the Australia game and got to see it (streamed ITV) this way.

Yesterday: Rest/Recovery day.
    First recovery day in a while, and I was itching to put on the running gear and hit the sidewalk (I'm practicing my language skills). So instead I headed off to Bray harbour for a walk with my youngest, who was hopping up and down, looking for something to do. As we clambered over the rocks (stability training) she noticed a fin sticking out of the water, with another couple nearby. We spent the next few minutes tracking and watching the three bottle-nose dolphins around the harbour in Bray. Can't believe I traveled all the way down to South Africa and spent hours looking out over the Southern Ocean to no avail, only to find dolphins on my back door. It's a crazy rock'n'roll world. Wouldn't have enjoyed that experience if I was running.

Achilles are both feeling quite sore over the last few days. To be honest, my achilles have been sore now for three months. I reckon with the reduced mileage, I'm just noticing it more than I normally would. Taper is hitting me in more ways than that. Second guessing myself a lot recently on my target (not greatly helped by a certain text message I received :rolleyes:). But I reckon I've put together a best possible scenario (inspired by a recent Berlin performance and some guidance from Mr Slow ;)):

First 15 miles: 6:15/mile
    Next 11 Miles: 6:11/mile
    A final (all-out) sprint over the finish line would see me finish just inside 2:42:59.

I'm not really one for strictly following a pace band or the average pace on the watch, preferring to run comfortably, so the actual numbers may be up or down on the above plan. I feel a lot more positive about the above strategy though, so it puts me into a good 'head-space' heading off to Chicago.

Weather is changing rapidly in Illinois. The temperature has been a Dublin'esque 12'C for the last few weeks, but a warm-front is moving in, so they expect temperatures to hit 23'C on Sunday. Hopefully I (and Mrs Clown) will be finished before the heat really hits. I'm looking forward to sitting on the grass near the finish line in the sunshine and enjoying some well-overdue beers. 5 More days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

some guidance from Mr Slow ;)

:o

Best of luck for Sunday, looking forward to a great race report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I found it freezing there in the mornings, wrap up well as there can be a very cold breeze around the start area early in the morning, and with the extra early start its dark and cold...

Its one I really want to do again and just having a coffee now from my 12 year old mug ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    I found it freezing there in the mornings, wrap up well as there can be a very cold breeze around the start area early in the morning, and with the extra early start its dark and cold...

Its one I really want to do again and just having a coffee now from my 12 year old mug ;)
    Really looking forward to it now. This video of the highlights of 10-10-10 got the blood boiling (includes the superb finish to the Mens and Women's races).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Really looking forward to it now. This video of the highlights of 10-10-10 got the blood boiling (includes the superb finish to the Mens and Women's races).
    You should enjoy the whole thing, I remember Boystown been a really funny part of the course ,with great support.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Great highlights package! I'm super-pumped about it after watching that and I'm not even running it ;-)
    Best of luck fella, kick some butt, or some other Americanism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck at the weekend KC, give it a good go:)

Advertisement