Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have a great one Krusty - send me a text when you finish as I'm sure Colonel Bullock needs to send an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

First 15 miles: 6:15/mile
    Next 11 Miles: 6:11/mile
    A final (all-out) sprint over the finish line would see me finish just inside 2:42:59.

Best of luck on Sunday Krusty, look after Killerz for me :D.

Re pacing, if using a garmin (and were high buildings not an issue) what would one want the garmin to say to actually run the above target paces? i.e. considering grmin will probably register 26.5miles in total as opposed to 26.2. Clearly I could just divide my target time by 26.5, but just wondering from your garmin experience, do I need to take e.g. 5s a mile off? i.e. have the garmin clocking miles at 6:10 if I want to 'really' be running 6:15 pace? Cheers.

Hopefully the weather works out. Very unpredictable at the moment. Apparently Brussels was a disaster at the weekend, high 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Best of luck at the weekend, Gary. In the unlikely event that you are ever tempted to drop off the pace (even for a second) remember to windmill your arm in the air (only one arm, mind). Give it socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good luck on the weekend, hope you have a great run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Have a great one Krusty - send me a text when you finish as I'm sure Colonel Bullock needs to send an email.
    Lol. It was really nice to get a mention in the club-mail the other day, though I reckon I also got a partial mention in the mail about the novice XC turn-out. :)
    Re pacing, if using a garmin (and were high buildings not an issue) what would one want the garmin to say to actually run the above target paces? i.e. considering grmin will probably register 26.5miles in total as opposed to 26.2. Clearly I could just divide my target time by 26.5, but just wondering from your garmin experience, do I need to take e.g. 5s a mile off? i.e. have the garmin clocking miles at 6:10 if I want to 'really' be running 6:15 pace? Cheers.
    The problem is that you really can't predict what the Garmin should be reading. You just can't count on it with any level of accuracy. When I was pacing the 1:30 group in the race series half marathon, I had a Garmin 405 on each wrist, both running the same firmware. I started both at the same time, and stopped them at the same time. They both registered the same time, but the distance recorded and pace figured were quite different. That's why I'll be using one of these. But if you were going to rely on the Garmin, you would want to be aiming for around 4-5 seconds per mile faster than target pace. Perhaps not quite as fast as that, if running an open marathon (like Connemara). If running Venice, then forget about it. You'd be as well off with a Mickey-Mouse digital watch. :)

The discrepancy comes down to three things:
    1) GPS accuracy - which at its best offers you a 5% margin of error.
    2) Racing line - we might think we run it, but more often than not, we probably don't. Moving out of the way of slower runners, water-stations, kerbs, drains, rubbish and even poor mathematics contribute to a poor racing line
    3) Tall buildings, bridges, sharp bends, heavy foliage - Zoom in on any of your previous tracklogs, and you can clearly see where the tracklog ventures into places you have no place being in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

FYP
    When I was pacing the 1:30 group in the race series half marathon, I had a Garmin 405 on each wrist, both running the same firmware. I started both at the same time, and stopped them at the same time. They both registered the same time, but the distance recorded and pace figured were quite different. It was just as well TheRoadRunner was on hand to save the day and drag my ass over the line under the desired time.

Seriously though, I use the watch for helping guide pace but only really take note of splits at official mile markers. For me 10, half and 20 mile markers are the most nb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I had a Garmin 405 on each wrist, I started, stopped them at the same time.
    !
    wat sort of hands have u got.....best of luck over the week-end,,,,

FMP
    It was just as well TheRoadRunner was on hand to save the day and drag half of the mile-markers over the line under the desired time, albeit a second slower than Krusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

It was just as well TheRoadRunner was on hand to save the day and drag half of the mile-markers over the line under the desired time, albeit a second slower than Krusty.

In my defence I didn't have a hot air balloon like you to aid me over the line ........ this line of argument is not helping my case :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

All the best on Sunday.

I've no doubt all the prep will be rewarded.

and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great training cycle, time to reap what you sowed. Best of luck, if you do a RR finish be careful not to injure your balloon holding arm.:)

Great training cycle, time to reap what you sowed. Best of luck, if you do a RR finish be careful not to injure your balloon holding arm.:)
    I'm a little more concerned about my beer-holding arm (I can tie the balloon to my batman belt). :)

Some running stuff: 7 mile recovery run
    Very easy lunch-time 7 miles, around Corkagh Park, at what was once upon a time, faster than marathon pace. Couldn't break a sweat today in the cool autumnal weather (a small mercy, for which my work colleagues are eternally greatful, given the lack of showers). Just one more run, worthy of any significant mention, and that's tomorrow's seven mile run, with 2 miles at PMP. Then it's all 4 or 5 mile recovery runs until race day. Strange that there are no more rest days in the schedule, but no matter. I love running in foreign climates, so am looking forward to it.

Summary: 7.2 miles in 56 mins, @7:47/mile, HR=128

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Have a good one KC. You are in the form of your life. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck at the weekend KC...Enjoy Chicago and all it has to offer.... Ur on top of ur game so run well and give it socks........

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Hope it all goes to plan gaz. keep us posted!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

You'd better run well. I need a nice target to beat in a few weeks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck in the windy city KC, looking forward to reading how well it went!

Must check on Sunday if there's a live stream of it available as now that I'm taking a break from my friends P&D for a while have lots more time on my hands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Very best of luck Sunday Krusty, enjoy the trip!!

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    You'd better run well. I need a nice target to beat in a few weeks;)
    Is it too late to start on a course of steroids and blood-doping? You're on your own buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck Krusty, looking forward to the race report.

Today: 7 Mile easy run with 2 miles at PMP
    Always another interesting run in the P&D schedule, as you get a taster for what the PMP miles will feel like in a couple of days time. Very blustery day out there, but the PMP miles went fine, and the HR is in the expected range. Not used to running fast in the mornings before breakfast, so was happy enough with how this went. Broke out a new pair of shoes (another pair of Mizuno Precisions), which I'm now considering wearing for the marathon. They just have the extra edge of cushioning over the older Precisions (400 miles). Third pair in a row of these shoes, probably all from the same batch (bought when they were €62 on Wiggle) so it's probably a safe enough decision to wear them on the day. Might bring both pairs with me, just to be sure (taper-crazies).

Summary: 7 miles in 50 mins, @7:06/mile, HR=~137

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Today: 7 Mile easy run with 2 miles at PMP
    Always another interesting run in the P&D schedule, as you get a taster for what the PMP miles will feel like in a couple of days time. Very blustery day out there, but the PMP miles went fine, and the HR is in the expected range. Not used to running fast in the mornings before breakfast, so was happy enough with how this went. Broke out a new pair of shoes (another pair of Mizuno Precisions), which I'm now considering wearing for the marathon. They just have the extra edge of cushioning over the older Precisions (400 miles). Third pair in a row of these shoes, probably all from the same batch (bought when they were €62 on Wiggle) so it's probably a safe enough decision to wear them on the day. Might bring both pairs with me, just to be sure (taper-crazies).

Summary: 7 miles in 50 mins, @7:06/mile, HR=~137

I'd defo go for the new ones, since I've changed into my new pair all those niggles caused by 600 miles of wear are gone.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I'd defo go for the new ones, since I've changed into my new pair all those niggles caused by 600 miles of wear are gone.
    See? Always with the good advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

See? Always with the good advice. :)

Let's be honest, my other 'advice' was me throwing up all of the options in a frantic manner and deciding on a reasonably sensible one for myself, you then saw a modicum of logic in that option ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck KC. Enjoy it and hit that target! :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck KC, look forward to the report of the epic pb!

Less of the compliments for Mr. Slow though, we'll be having none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck in Chicago, Krusty. Weather looks decent so nothing can stop you now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

best of british krusty.
    bring back sam.

seriously tho, hope all goes well.

Advertisement