Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pgmcpq wrote: »
    ...so nothing can stop you now.
    You would be surprised by the number of things that could stop me now, but I'll keep them for the race post-mortem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

You would be surprised by the number of things that could stop me now, but I'll keep them for the race post-mortem. :)

True enough. Beware of ticking off any goats you meet (this is the mid West) and don't be running off with anyone else's hot dogs (or beer, presumably) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Best of luck PB, bring it on home;)
    Today: 7 Mile easy run with 2 miles at PMP
    Always another interesting run in the P&D schedule, as you get a taster for what the PMP miles will feel like in a couple of days time. Very blustery day out there, but the PMP miles went fine, and the HR is in the expected range. Not used to running fast in the mornings before breakfast, so was happy enough with how this went. Broke out a new pair of shoes (another pair of Mizuno Precisions), which I'm now considering wearing for the marathon. They just have the extra edge of cushioning over the older Precisions (400 miles). Third pair in a row of these shoes, probably all from the same batch (bought when they were €62 on Wiggle) so it's probably a safe enough decision to wear them on the day. Might bring both pairs with me, just to be sure (taper-crazies).

Summary: 7 miles in 50 mins, @7:06/mile, HR=~137

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck gary! Hope you enjoy the race. I look forward to the report as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Best of luck Krusty! All your marathons have been well planned and well executed. Heres to another plan coming together in Chicago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of lucky Krusty...as said above all your marathons have been good experiences...heres to another !

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Best of luck KC! Thats a good time to aim for.

This morning: Just an easy cold windy 4 mile recovery run
    After this morning's cold, the warm front moving into Chicago may be a welcome relief, at least until Sunday. Giving the running shoes another go, just to be sure, to be sure.. Sure I have another two days to break them in. They'll be fine. :)

Thanks for all the best wishes folks! I'll carry them with me (like a noose around my neck. :D). Heading shortly, once more unto the breach...

Summary: 4 Miles in 31 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck KC. There is no reason you can't hit your target you are well trained this year and have the consistency and the bag full of Pbs to back up your aspirations. Try not to beat Fagan too bad you dont want to dent his confidence going into an Olympic year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    Try not to beat Fagan too bad you dont want to dent his confidence going into an Olympic year:D

No pressure but technically every boardsie who finished Berlin this year beat Gebrselassie!!!!! Least you can do is beat Fagan. Just putting it out there :)

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Best of luck krusty, finally caught up with you at half marathon... Only cause you had finished running...
    Another milestone in a super log.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck on Sunday Krusty, seems like "your kind of town" for a new PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Best of luck KC , have faith and enjoy !

No pressure but technically every boardsie who finished Berlin this year beat Gebrselassie!!!!! Least you can do is beat Fagan. Just putting it out there :)

Good luck
    Of course you're forgetting that I beat Gebrselassie in New York in 2010, back when he was still in his prime. You beat him when he was already a broken husk of a man. ;)

5:30pm in Chicago and it's about 90'F according to the billboard thermometers. You could fry and egg.. If you had an egg..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck krusty- looking forward to hearing all about it. Hope it cools down for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Have a good one Krusty, I can't believe you were having some self doubt. You have been so consistent and disciplined with your training over the last 4 years.
    Everyone who reads your log is a believer and I can see your superb marathon streak continuing, actually have a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Cant add to whats been said already so I'll just wish you the best of luck Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good luck in Chi-town.

Unrelated, has the 'BAC 10k challenge' not been completed at this stage?!

christeb wrote: »
    Good luck in Chi-town.

Unrelated, has the 'BAC 10k challenge' not been completed at this stage?!
    It never ends! As soon as you think you're done, it reels you back in again, with a more aggressive target!

Today: 6 miles with 5 x 150m strides
    Woke at 4am, but had already enjoyed around 6 hours sleep, so felt grand. Headed out with the missus, towards Lake Shore Drive, passing a small park with a track around the outside (ear-marked for later!). Beautiful day on the side of the lake, with the sun-rise well under-way by 7am. The incredible landscape and architecture of Chicago, made even more spectacular by the reflection of the sun's rays.

Hundreds of runners of all shapes and sizes running alongside the lake. After a couple of miles, Mrs Clown headed back towards the hotel, and I kept going as far as the park that will host the start area on Sunday. Then back under the bridges, passed the homeless guys (we seem inexorably linked!) to the little park with the track, where I did my strides. The running was very stop start, because of the blocks and traffic, but the body is feeling good and fast. The Garmin is literally all over the shop, so I'm glad I printed out the pace band and brought it with me. The marathon committee have raised the marathon to 'yellow' alert, because of the heat, and even at 8am, you can feel a decent warmth and dryness to the air. Now, time for pancakes, then off to the expo.

Summary: 6'ish miles in 45 mins, @some lkind of pace?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

KC - enjoy the race, the rest will look after itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

The marathon committee have raised the marathon to 'yellow' alert, because of the heat, and even at 8am, you can feel a decent warmth and dryness to the air. Now, time for pancakes, then off to the expo.

I'm so jealous. Nothing better than getting to the marathon weekend and the nervous juices and excitement kick in. Best drug in the world :)

Hopefully the weather will behave. I've done a tornado dance out my back garden in your honor today so hopefully that will cool down things for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck KC - hope the weather doesn't get too hot.

Today: Last of the last recovery runs
    4 Miles just seemed way too short today, as I hit Lake Shore Drive (this time heading North) at around 7am. Again, I was awake at 4am, and waiting for the sun to rise before I could head for my run. I'm not too bothered about waking so early, as it'll serve me well tomorrow. With the race kicking off at 7:30 we'll have to be out the door of the hotel at 5am to find some brekkie. But 4 miles was just too short. I just wanted to keep running in the early morning sun. Had to whip off the running top after a mile as it was just too damn hot, so I reckon I'll be pinning my race number to my shorts tomorrow. Kept an eye out for Fagan, but I reckon he's hiding from me, until we line up tomorrow. I did spot Vince Vaughn, jogging with a buggy around the park in which I ran my strides yesterday, which brings my celebrity spotting tally to two, after spotting Hal Higdon at the expo yesterday.

Now out to scout a breakfast location for tomorrow morning (impossible to make oatmeal in the hotel), then a day of lounging around, a dip in the pool, and maybe a boat trip around the river, if it's not booked out by all the other lazing runners.

Summary: 4 miles in 31 mins, @7:43/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Good Luck KFC!! :)

Stick to your pace band for sure.... there'll be a few thousand Garmins at the start line so wouldn't trust it till your away from the high rises.

Make sure you visit Willis Tower and get a boat trip in.

See you when your back and don't forget a stick of rock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Knock 'em dead KC. Enjoy the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Have a great race krusty. You've done the work :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Looking good Krusty!

Well, I went for it! Everything went to plan until mile 15, when the wheels started to come off. Very tough time from mile 15-26.2 in tough conditions, but glad that I managed to plug away, despite slowing badly and never walked (VR!). Official time: 2:48:10 which is a one second PB, so the PB's continue. :)

Happy enough that I battled on, given the conditions, and bodes well for Boston in April. I just need to train better and smarter. Emer_911 suffered equally, but managed a far more impressive PB (40 times better!). Will write a more complete post-mortem tomorrow, if I can remember anything after the beer I'm about to drink. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well, I went for it! Everything went to plan until mile 15, when the wheels started to come off. Very tough time from mile 15-26.2 in tough conditions, but glad that I managed to plug away, despite slowing badly and never walked (VR!). Official time: 2:48:10 which is a one second PB, so the PB's continue. :)

Happy enough that I battled on, given the conditions, and bodes well for Boston in April. I just need to train better and smarter. Emer_911 suffered equally, but managed a far more impressive PB (40 times better!). Will write a more complete post-mortem tomorrow, if I can remember anything after the beer I'm about to drink. :D

Well done Krusty,i was watching the nbc stream and the winner struggled badly the last few miles also so conditions were obviously tough,the commentators were saying that the first half was in the shade and the second half in the sun,enjoy the beers

Advertisement