Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Well, I went for it! Everything went to plan until mile 15, when the wheels started to come off. Very tough time from mile 15-26.2 in tough conditions, but glad that I managed to plug away, despite slowing badly and never walked (VR!). Official time: 2:48:10 which is a one second PB, so the PB's continue. :)

Happy enough that I battled on, given the conditions, and bodes well for Boston in April. I just need to train better and smarter. Emer_911 suffered equally, but managed a far more impressive PB (40 times better!). Will write a more complete post-mortem tomorrow, if I can remember anything after the beer I'm about to drink. :D

Well done krusty - heat is a killer. Pretty impressive to be still able to PB well under 2:50 when the wheels come off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Congrats on the run. The time doesnt always tell the full story. You are in great shape and have a low 2.40 in you in the right conditions now like just means that when the conditions are right you ar gonna come up trumps.

Still a great race regardless and you should be proud

Enjoy the down time now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Krusty, savage run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Official time: 2:48:10 which is a one second PB, so the PB's continue. :)
    :D

That's my PBing style!

Well done Sir Krustopher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Fantastic run Krusty, well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Fair play KC, one can only imagine the frantic mental arithmetic being done to compensate for your slowing pace. Delighted that you have a pb to show for your efforts, onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Gutsy bastard! You went for a very realistic target. Conditions conspired against you, wheels came off, you rallied and still ran a pb. Enjoy the night and rest of your stay. Hats off

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Well done Krusty. It was slightly cooler where I am than in Chicago today, I started an easy 4 mile thinking 'perfect day for a marathon' yet by the end I was thinking 'I hope to *^&% it's not like this next week', looking for water. Was deceptively very uncomfortable. So I'd say it was a tough day there, a great run considering. Enjoy the aftermath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Well done boss. Great to deal with the wheels coming off an to keep it together. Enjoy you break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done KC gutsy performance in what looked like very tough conditions. Enjoy those beers you earned them:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

5000 miles away . that heat. last ten or 11 miles torture and you still kept pluggin away for a fantastic time. well done.

when i saw you did a 1 sec pb i just thought, aw man thats class, just class. only kc could keep the pbs ticking along like that.

now strict oders to go into every macdonalds ye pass. and go large while yere at it.

well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

good to get a PB in those conditions today, hard fought and well earned! well done

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Plan
    I'm not thick. Really I'm not! I always knew that 2:42 was a pretty significant stretch goal. Everyone (but one (and thanks, I do appreciate it!)) was too polite to say it, but I knew it. Since Berlin last year, I've taken most of the time since very easy. I've clocked up loads of miles, but most of it has been run at slower pace than last year. My races went well, but they didn't point at the kind of time I was hoping for. But I never pushed myself too hard in any of the races. Frank Duffy? Played it safe. National Half? Took it easy. The two 10ks were for real, but were only 36 minute affairs, so you can push yourself hard and hang on until the end. So it's been a lazy year. So I said 'screw it', I'm going for it anyway. if I blow up, so be it. I'll run on my own terms and fail on my own terms. I could've played it safe and gone for a soft target, but in my mind, I knew that'd be the end of my running. I'd never push hard again.

So where did it go wrong? I could so easily blame the weather, but it wasn't the heat. Sure it cost me a few minutes, but on a cooler day I think I would have pushed out the slow-down for a few more miles and taken a few minutes off of the PB. I knew in my heart that despite the extra miles, the quality of this training season just hasn't been there. I missed out on some quality long runs, instead opting to do some soft PB races. I just didn't feel good about the whole program (it's very easy to hide quality behind a lot of easy paced miles). So, this race presented me with an opportunity to be honest with myself. Blowing up wouldn't be such a bad thing.....As long as I still managed a PB. :D

The pre-race:
    Headed off for breakfast at 4:30am and was back in the hotel by 5:30. Sounds awful, but in my case, my body clock hadn't adjusted, and I'd been wide awake and refreshed since 3am, so it was no biggy. Emer and I strolled up to the start with all of the other runners, but because of seeding had to say our good-byes as we headed off in different directions. This wasn't like New York. I headed straight for the bag-drop, and then onwards to the A corral. No queues, nothing. With 15 minutes to go, I walked right up to the front of the corral, and settled in right beside the elite chute. Martin Fagan was doing strides up and down, obviously struggling with some last minute demons. Ryan Hall ran by and gave those of us who noticed him some words of encouragement and a wave. 10 minutes later the elites were back out again to line up at the front of the race. Fagan looked a little like I felt. A hand grenade with no pin, waiting for the explosion. Ryan Hall made everyone wait for two or three minutes before emerging, high on 'jesus-juice', pumped to the hilt, high-fiving everyone (we touched pinkies!) and screaming to go. One star spangled banner later, and we were off.

The race:
    We started. We ran under a tunnel. I had no idea what speed I was running at. I had my pace band, and the first mile was a little slow. I picked it up a little. By mile three, I was on track, based on the 6:15 miles. My achilles was damn sore, which was a cause for concern, but I'd had no warm-up. After a couple of miles either it stopped hurting, or I stopped paying attention. It was warm, but we were mostly in the shade (occasional breaks in the sky-scrapers offering a hint of what the second half of the course would be like). I had no plan other than to run within myself, and if that happened to be around what the pace band showed, then all would be well in my world.

I was wearing my favourite black Adidas singlet (pacing gear from the half last year), but had pinned my race number to my shorts, knowing that I was going to run bear-chested to combat the rising heat. By mile 6 I was soaked. Whipped off the singlet and threw it away (don't check out the photos. Neanderthal hairy man with massive anguish on face). Why didn't I just tuck it into my shorts? Early frustration perhaps? In any case, it had run it's last race. Immediately I cooled down, and all was well again. I had no heart rate monitor, but all systems were ok.

I was running comfortably, and mile by mile I was beginning to gather seconds ahead of my pace band. I might have run closer to my pace band target had the Garmin produced any meaningful information (I could've slowed down), but Garmins are close to useless in this race and running by feel alone is your best bet and for the first 10 miles, I felt great! I haven't seen my official splits, but by the half-way point, I wasn't feeling quite as good. I think I was around 30 seconds ahead of pace, but effort levels were rising too. The plan was to speed up at mile 15, but I knew at this stage it just wasn't going to happen. 2:42 was out the window. Didn't bother me, as it had always been a pipe-dream. Sticking to the pace band was the new target.

By around mile 16 or 17, life was getting really tough. I was in a bad mental place. The distance to the 20 mile marker seemed massive, and I have never had a problem with distance before. I was taking 2 or 3 cups of water at every water station, but half of it was poured down the back of my neck to try and cool-down. I had some salt sticks (capsules of salt) in a dispenser, but the first one I reached for broke in half spilling salt everywhere and blocking the dispenser. I was now one big salty sweaty mess. I wanted to grind that salt stick dispenser under my heel. Emer took some capsules with her, and reckoned they worked great for her. I'd love to know if they would have made any difference to my race.

Things really started to hit rock bottom, as those around me started to slow, and I too slowed alongside them. I was hitting the lap button on my watch at every mile marker, and watched as my pace slipped from 6:15 to 6:30/miles. The slow-down was progressive. Gradually I hit seven minute miles and I knew that sub 2:45 was gone. Before the start of the race, I would've been very happy with sub 2:45. I was in really bad mental shape. I needed something to re-ignite the fire. I called on the gods, but given that I'm not a big believer, there was no solace there. I roused the crowd, flapping my arms like an eejit and they responded admirably. I encourage the other runners who were in lower levels of hell than my own, but nothing worked. I was slowing. I'd been dying for a pee since the start of the race, and figured that a 30 second time-out might help me get my head together. I'd tried to go on the run, but like telekinesis, it's just not a skill in my repertoire.

Thankfully, this is a race that looks after the bladder-challenged, with toilets approximately every mile. The pee was wonderful, but felt like it took 30 minutes, instead of thirty seconds. The timeout did me good. I was running well again, but it was only temporary. As soon as the shade disappeared, I wilted like a flower. A hairy sweaty anguished flower. Possibly some form of cactus.

I passed one of those building temperature gauges that read 86' Fahrenheit (30' Celsius). That killed me off completely. I lost the will to live. I don't think the temperature ever actually got that hot, but to see it presented in front of your face like that, it was like defying me to continue. But continue I did, in some kind of horrible mess that loosely resembled running.

Paying it forward:
    Despite my horrific nightmare, the pacer in me couldn't help but encourage other runners when I saw them in trouble, giving them a holler and a shaking fist when I saw them slowing to a walk (many of whom went on to pass me :D). It was payed back in spades at mile 24, when a middle aged blonde women with a lot more cojones than me told me to follow her to the finish line. It was the kick up the arse I needed. I stuck with her for around 400m, until we hit another sunny patch, and once again, I suffered. I dropped off her pace, but managed to maintain a slightly quicker pace. Eventually, I hit mile 25 and then a mile marker that read 1 mile to go. A look at the watch. Screwed. Even the PB is gone. Despite the bad news, the pace picked up a little.

The Finish:
    800 meters to go. Feck. Two laps of as track. How long does that take? Too long. 400 metres to go. One lap of a track. Too much. I want to lift up a manhole, and climb into the sewers, never to be seen again. Last hill (the only hill?!) - it's hard work, but the legs are still pushing. Finishing straight. Keep going. I see the clock. 2:48:01. A PB is still possible. With every step, the clock seems to be getting further away. I'm running fast again. It feels good, but it's really hurting. I pass under the clock in around 2:48:17. the PB is gone. I don't care. I'm just glad to be finished. I hate running. Running is stupid. I will never run again.

The aftermath:
    I weave my way forward, and am stopped by every single spotter (medical folk who look for potential fainters) for the next 500m. I haven't been accosted by this many medical folks since Feile 1992. I get all the crap they hand out after marathons in the US but can eat and drink nothing. They hand me a beer. I sip it and throw it away. Some crimes should never go un-punished.

I made my way to the 27th mile, stopping briefly at the result tent to get a print-out of my finish time. It's 2:48:10. I'm pretty sure that it's a one second PB. I'm happy. I went with the original strategy, fell to pieces, but still managed a decent time. I know I could've run far more strategic (intelligent) races, but every once in a while, it's ok to fail. Particularly if you fail one second faster than you did the previous time. When I finished Berlin, I couldn't fathom the idea of following a training program or doing a session for six months. Now I want to start again as soon as possible and the hunger is back. There will be a next time.

Summary: 26.2 miles in 2:48:10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Gutsy performance KC, sounds like you gave it everything. Also, you may be underestimating the effects of the heat. Think that cost you more than a minute or two, and a few degrees cooler could have made all the difference. Wonder what percentage of runners negative-split that race.

Sets you up nicely for Boston, and a PB by a significant multiple of what you achieved yesterday.

Also, judging by time differences you should have been very drunk writing that. Seems very coherent!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sounds like a really tough day out there, but you'll be back stronger next time. Great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great honest report as always KC, well done for toughing it out for the PB, you had the mental strength when your body said no.

You will have to make amends for that discarded beer over the next few days by testing all the local microbrews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Peckham wrote: »
    Gutsy performance KC, sounds like you gave it everything. Also, you may be underestimating the effects of the heat. Think that cost you more than a minute or two, and a few degrees cooler could have made all the difference. Wonder what percentage of runners negative-split that race.

Did you have suncream on? Taking your top off would have exposed a big portion of your skin (your largest organ!) to the suns UV rays. this would stress you in addition to the body working harder because of the heat.

Well done on grinding out the PB at the end - I think by not walking you showed your central governor who's really the boss and that'll stand to you next time around. Its dangerous to walk that line (you were obviously very close to keeling over towards the end) but you'll run better in the future knowing your own limits.

May the wind be with you in Boston (from a westerly direction)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Great running. Well done for hanging in there.

I'm actually more impressed though with the race report. Very very well written and entertaining. Do you do much writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Great report Krusty, it's given me a lot to think about;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats a great report. Fair play to keep going in that heat. Hope you enjoyed your beers last night, well deserved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Well done Krusty, great performance in tough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Feck anyway:D
    Another great honest report KC and so soon after the race.
    I could feel your pain from half way (that's when I had started to work in London also 30 sec up on my target).
    But you didn't walk , that is the key. Great to see your hunger has returned only a few hrs after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A new PB is a new PB, it can't have been THAT bad.:D
    Congrats on toughing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Great run and a great report.
    Toughing it out from 15 miles is very impressive, a lesser man would not have PBed in that situation.
    Congrats.
    PK

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Fair play! Inspiring stuff!!! Will use this for Dublin in a few weeks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

A massive well done Krusty, a Pb in those condition is great going. Lesser people would have staggered home over 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

04072511 wrote: »
    Great running. Well done for hanging in there.

I'm actually more impressed though with the race report. Very very well written and entertaining. Do you do much writing?
    Thanks. This log is my creative writing outlet. :D
    SucCes09 wrote:
    Fair play! Inspiring stuff!!! Will use this for Dublin in a few weeks!!!
    If you're looking for a one second PB with a horrible second half, then go for it!
    Gringo wrote:
    Did you have suncream on?
    Yep, I was well covered (P20 on head and torso), but still managed to get a decent sun-tan. Without going bear-chested, I reckon I would have overheated and struggled from much earlier in the race. While less than ideal, in the circumstances it was definitely the right option. Some kind of light-coloured ultra-light singlet might be a good alternative option, but I didn't have one. P20 is definitely a great race option as you don't have to worry about it washing off, or getting in your eyes with sweat etc.
    pekham wrote:
    Also, judging by time differences you should have been very drunk writing that. Seems very coherent!
    Like the race, drinking plans went a little awry! I picked up a six-pack of my favourite beer (that you can't buy in Ireland) and enjoyed a couple of beers while writing up the report, while the OH slept (she sleeps a lot :)). We did manage to get out to a local pub for a couple of brews after that, but nothing too hectic.

Greg Byrne (Rathfanham AC and sometime pacer) managed to spot me sitting on the grass post-race, so we got to enjoy a couple of beers with him and his other half, shooting the breeze and generally being a little disgusted about our respective races. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great read. A PB is a PB. Congrats. Fair play for sticking with it! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Sounds like murder Krusty, well done on the PB. Great mental strength, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fairplay to ya KC , you dug really deep and really challenged yourself , no shame in an effort like that , anyway above all you got the hunger back so go for:) . Oh by the way you still managed to pull off a really humorous report despite a not so fun race !

Advertisement