Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 4 mile recovery run
    Mini-taper for tomorrow's marathon, so just a nice easy 4 miles to keep the legs ticking over. Took the Garmin fit app with me to give it a go too. After 1/2 mile it crashed my phone, but behaved properly after a restart. Not bad in a pinch (if you forget your watch and have a smartphone with you), but still some bugs to iron out.
    Summary: 4 miles in 31 mins, @7:45/mile

Followed up by:
    12 x 4 sets weights
    15 seconds x 20 core exercises (with a break between each one!).

I recovered well from Chicago marathon three weeks ago. Joints still a little tender, but muscles were all working fine. My 13th marathon (5 of which were raced) was going to be a cold wet affair. I put on the jolly green giant suit, and was deservedly given a slagging by the other pacers. Bastids.. :) A bit of craic in the hotel, and we were off to the start line for 9am. I was running this one with Liamo123 and Lecheile, and the boys were in great shape. Good to meet so many Boards posters and 'normals' before the start of the race!

The 3:15 pace bands were geared up for a 3:14:01 finish, so after the start of the race we settled into a few positions, with Liamo initially taking the front, me in the middle and Lecheile and his merry crew taking up the rear :eek:. The first mile marker was off a bit, so though we were pretty much on track pacing wise, everyone's Garmin was reporting that we were off by 30 seconds. Even at the early stages, there were lots of people complaining about the heat and humidity.

Over the last number of paced marathons (5 at this stage?) I've gotten used to a few people Garmin-watching, convinced that their Garmin is right, and everybody else in the race is wrong. Typically, they are the guys who are sweating a little more than they should, heart rate running a little high, the guys who can't understand why the effort levels are too great for their target pace. You try to engage them with logic and evidence, but, they just don't want to believe. You tell them to drop back if the pace is too hot, but instead they push forward, as if to make a point. You hope their destiny has a happy outcome, but you don't really want them around, as they make all of the other runners nervous. This race was no different. A french guy trying to convince me that we were running at 3:10 pace. I showed him my watch, my pace-band, my other watch.. Still not convinced. I have some rudimentary French, so I started chatting to him in his native speak, and he calmed down a little. Then he pushed on. Where he went, nobody knows...

But largely, we had a great crew, with lots of folks who I had run with before, including the Roadrunner's mate who shared a centerfold with me in the DCM expo magazine. We did as much posing as we could muster, but I don't think we'll make the magazine next year. Kathryn Thomas' will probably steal our limelight, and she deserves it too, running sub-3 in those jeans and high-heels.

By the mid-point, it didn't look like anyone had dropped off the pace, and between the three pacers, it looked like we had hundreds of runners. We passed under the clock in 1:37:27, so you couldn't get much closer than that. Took a gel, just to make sure I didn't bonk and kept the water levels topped up. We were doing lots of shouting to get the crowds riled up, and they responded admirably. Despite the murky conditions, it felt like there were more supporters out than the previous two years of warm sunny days. It was great to get so many shouts of 'Go on Krusty/Gary', a testament to how many people you get to know through this running malarky!

By the time we hit the hill at Roebuck, there was a lot more shouting. It's definitely a tough point, when you are running at goal pace, and the downhill to the 'dualer' was a welcome respite. Strangely my mum and other members of my family came out to give me some support (for one of my slowest ever marathons) but sure, a shout is a shout! Caught a glimpse of Mrs Clown, before we hooked around the corner and started heading for home. Down Merrion Road, I'd gone a bit quiet as my throat was sore from hollering and I was saving some energy for the finish area screaming encouragement. One of the runners asked me to start talking again as my voice was very calming and put the runners at ease. Well, feck me if I wasn't dumb-struck. What the hell do you talk about at a time like this?! I tried the election, but they were having none of it. So, I gave the guys regular updates on their estimated time of arrival (around 3:13:50) and kept a low-level of cajoling going for the final few miles.

Arriving at Trinity, the noise levels were fantastic. Running from side to side divvying out the high-fives and conducting the crowds like an orchestra is just great fun. Everyone should try it some time. It's made a lot easier, when you are carrying a great big orange weather balloon. All of the runners pushed-on, so I grabbed the stragglers I could find and gave them some choice arm-pumping, and fist waving and energy-bestowing pats on the back (in other words they picked up the pace to get the hell away from deranged eejit). Slowed down for the finish line, and casually stepped over at a nonchalant walking pace in 3:14:59 (gun) and 3:14:25 (chip), so I wouldn't have been eligible for the pacer's wager. Thanked by so many up the finisher's chute, it left me in no doubt that it's something I want to keep doing, as you can't help but share other people's triumph and sense of achievement.

The organization was spot-on, from the expo right through to the finish line. The DCM folks and our fearless master D'pop made sure everything went off without the least of hitches, and the focus was always on the running, rather than the details. Thanks Paul, you make it feel easy.

Summary: 26.2 miles in 3:14:27, @7:25/mile, HR=149

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

A super report from a great day,your capacity to nail that type of time is astonishing!!!.....I find it hilarious people challenge you on route re.times!!!...
    I couldn't quite reach my target of 3.43 I think dingle just sapped the legs or head!!..still a pb for Dublin..
    Well done .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

My 13th marathon (5 of which were raced)

:eek: Wow - you've "raced" less than half of the marathons you've entered?!

Peckham wrote: »
    :eek: Wow - you've "raced" less than half of the marathons you've entered?!
    Well, of the 13 marathons, 5 were raced, 5 were as a pacer (one for a buddy of mine), one was a training run (Roscommon Bogtrotter), and two were just for the experience, as I'd already run my goal marathon (Dublin '08 and NYC '10). I seem to have lost a marathon there somewhere! DOMS and Dementia setting in at the same time!

• Advertisement

aigster wrote: »
    A super report from a great day,your capacity to nail that type of time is astonishing!!!.....I find it hilarious people challenge you on route re.times!!!...
    I wouldn't blame them in the least. I would be exactly the same in their situation, except that I've learned to keep my mouth shut. A marathon is an emotional roller-coaster, where you spend your entire time second guessing yourself and those around you. If I were racing and didn't feel that the pacers were doing a good job, I'd just go it alone, instead of complaining. At the end of the day, pacers are just runners too, and could quite easily get it wrong, however, in DCM we hunt in packs, which makes it a lot tougher to error!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thanks for the Aero - I think you were disposing of it and / or waiting for it to solidify again but no chocolate covered delight is safe around me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

G, great to chat with you face to face after all the behind the scenes chat, I spoke with your wife for a little while too, she's lovely.

claralara wrote: »
    Thanks for the Aero - I think you were disposing of it and / or waiting for it to solidify again but no chocolate covered delight is safe around me!! :)

Poor oul Meno was gutted when you struck!

claralara wrote: »
    LOL. One man's cheese is another man's mold and all that! Better watch that chocolate intake. Only 15 weeks to Donadea!

Tonight: 5 fugly recovery miles
    Horrendous conditions in the park, but made easier with a bit of company. A couple of torches didn't really help things, so we ran in the darkness, pelted by wind and rain. Muscles tired, and a general weariness, so it was slow.
    Summary: 5 miles in 45 mins, @9:02/mile, HR=117

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

What's your plan for 2012 KC?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    G, great to chat with you face to face after all the behind the scenes chat, I spoke with your wife for a little while too, she's lovely.
    You know she's one and the same person as Emer_911 who posts on this forum? For that reason, I agree. She's lovely. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You know she's one and the same person as Emer_911 who posts on this forum? For that reason, I agree. She's lovely. ;)

Eureka!;)

Pronator wrote: »
    What's your plan for 2012 KC?
    Hi Pronator, plan is to run a good time in Boston in April, building on the training that I've done in the second half of this year. After that, I'd really like to change things around and try and target improvements in some of the shorter distances for the summer (maybe have a go at some track). I can't see myself targeting a marathon in the latter half of the year, so might try and find an ultra just to keep the base mileage pretty high, with a view to ramping up for London in 2013 (to complete out the marathon majors). Then onwards to the Comrades in June 2013. After that, who knows?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great DCM report Krusty. If I ever do a marathon I'll check which group you are pacing first, then pick the same target time.

London 2013 - Might just keep you company there:D
    Hi Pronator, plan is to run a good time in Boston in April, building on the training that I've done in the second half of this year. After that, I'd really like to change things around and try and target improvements in some of the shorter distances for the summer (maybe have a go at some track). I can't see myself targeting a marathon in the latter half of the year, so might try and find an ultra just to keep the base mileage pretty high, with a view to ramping up for London in 2013 (to complete out the marathon majors). Then onwards to the Comrades in June 2013. After that, who knows?!

It would be great to have some company (at least until we cross the start line anyway!).

Yesterday: Easy 10k on the grass on Corkagh
    Only a small lingering amount of muscle/joint stiffness, so I picked up the pace but kept it nice and comfortable, in some truly awful conditions. I have a race in a month's time, so I got to get back to a position of regular mileage, with some speed-work pretty soon (but not this week).
    Summary: 10k in 46 mins, @7:30/mile, HR=143

Evening:
    13 x 2 x 5 sets of weights
    13 x 15 core exercises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

It would be great to have some company (at least until we cross the start line anyway!).

Add me to the mix. Haven't settled for a course yet but London is definitely an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Add me to the mix. Haven't settled for a course yet but London is definitely an option.

Me too. GFA 2013 pen in London will be nothing but boardsies :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

2012 is when all the cool kids are running.!!!! 2013 is for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Me too. GFA 2013 pen in London will be nothing but boardsies :D

Is it bad that I hope the lower the GFA qualifying time to 2.55 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Nice chatting to you briefly on Monday Krusty, I failed to keep with you in 2009 so did everything i could in the last 3 miles to hold on this time !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    2012 is when all the cool kids are running.!!!! 2013 is for the rest.

Both is better though :)
    Is it bad that I hope the lower the GFA qualifying time to 2.55 ;)

I would expect nothing less from you, you bollox :D

Today: 4 Recovery miles
    With numerous work meetings, 4 miles was all we could manage, but it was nicer to get less miles done, and run in the afternoon sunshine, than get an extra mile done and do it in this evening's darkness.
    Summary: 4 miles in 33 mins, @8:09/mile, HR=130

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sorry i couldnt chat for longer on monday i was on my knees tired. On 2 different antibiots at the moment:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Sorry i couldnt chat for longer on monday i was on my knees tired. On 2 different antibiots at the moment:D
    You looked like you were in bits. Saw your post on FB. Sounds really nasty. Dunno how you still went ahead with the pacing gig. You're some monster!

Today (yesterday now): 10k inc. 5 miles @tempo
    Today was a good day. Got my motorcycle running again (would've been screwed next week without it) and celebrated with a recovery run in the park. Decided I'd give the 12mm spikes a go, to see what they're like, so I replaced the 6mm spikes, and jogged over to the park in my running shoes. Stuck on the spikes and started to run. Listening to my fast choon medley, I didn't notice the pace until I glanced at the watch and saw 7:05. Cool. Feels comfortable. Next mile, 6:26. Next one, 6:20. Next, 5:56. :eek: recovery run had become a tempo session. A final 6:04, and I'd wrapped up the five miles in just under 32 minutes. I'm back! Jogged back home, to wrap up 10k in an easy 41 mins (with a couple of breaks to change my shoes, and a brief stumble over the bridge in the spikes).

Body's recovered from the marathon frolicks, so it's high time to thing about putting some sessions together. Next races are:
    4th December: Wicklow Senior XC - target: try and keep up with the fast Bray lads
    10th December: Aware 10k 5 Mile: Try and crack 28 mins
    Summary: 10k in 41 mins (with breaks) @~6:33/mile. HR=???

Later:
    13 x 2 x 4 sets weights
    5 mins plank exercises

Today: 10 mile easy run in Shanganagh Park
    Met up with some of the Bray Runners and headed off with Pronator for a couple of handy loops, and picked his brain about his training regime leading up to his 2:40 marathon. A quick chat with Pre afterwards, who has got some incredible marathon times ahead of him, and then I ran to the shops to grab some coffee (had my first cup of tea this morning in around 8 years (blurgh!)), and rounded off the run to 10 miles. Beautiful day for running, and great to have a bit of company on a Sunday run for a change (even if the lads do run in entirely the wrong direction in the park :)).

Finished off with:
    Core: 13 x 15
    Weights: 13 x 2 x 4

Summary: 10 miles in 1:14, @7:21/mile, HR=~139

• Advertisement

Yep, great to have the company KC. I was never very good with the old "Clock wise - anti clock wise" thing.;)

Hope to make a Sunday shanganagh run a regular thing over the next few weeks into what is probably a badly thought out idea of running the Waterford half in December so soon after DCM.:eek:
    Today: 10 mile easy run in Shanganagh Park
    Met up with some of the Bray Runners and headed off with Pronator for a couple of handy loops, and picked his brain about his training regime leading up to his 2:40 marathon. A quick chat with Pre afterwards, who has got some incredible marathon times ahead of him, and then I ran to the shops to grab some coffee (had my first cup of tea this morning in around 8 years (blurgh!)), and rounded off the run to 10 miles. Beautiful day for running, and great to have a bit of company on a Sunday run for a change (even if the lads do run in entirely the wrong direction in the park :)).

Finished off with:
    Core: 13 x 15
    Weights: 13 x 2 x 4

Summary: 10 miles in 1:14, @7:21/mile, HR=~139

Advertisement