Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today also:
    17 x 2 x 4 Weights
    17 x 15 core strength

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Besides, they have a brewery in the town, so it's a good opportunity to drink some fresh new beer. :)
    Important matters. :cool:

Mini-catch-up:

Wednesday: 5 mile recovery run
    Left the run until after work and as a consequence, Corkagh park was pitch-black. We fumbled our way around three loops of the field before searching for the gap in the fence to get back out. Not a great night-time running spot without a head torch. 5 Miles in 41:20, @8:11/mile, HR=123

Thursday: 10k easy run to Bray Head
    Stuck the dinner in the oven, and raced the timer, to get back before it was done. Loving the views from Bray Head at night (like this, but a little lower down), and cut through the storm to make it home on time for my dinner. 10k in 44 mins, @7:09/mile, HR=140

Friday: 5 Recovery miles with 5x320m strides
    You can really feel the sudden temperature drop, so the strides were perfect to keep me warm during the run. Corkagh is getting really soggy, so even the 6mm spikes struggle to maintain grip during the strides. Still, a good way to do a recovery run, as it keeps the run interesting. 6 miles in 45 mins, @7:27/mile, HR=~140

Today: 10 easy miles
    Knee still giving me some feedback, so took it handy and did an easy 10 miles in the park with the spikes (getting good wear out of them anyway). Will ease back tomorrow too and do another easy 10 miles, which will hopefully give the knee a chance to recover.

Also:
    17 x 15 core strength
    17 x 2 x 4 weights

Summary: 10 miles in 1:12, @7:06/mile, HR=~137

Today: 15.3 mile hilly run
    Ok, the planned easy 10 miles turned into another hilly run, but at least I kept the pace handy on the downhills. Stuck with the start of the Dublin Mountain Way) veering off to pick off some of the more interesting views that should really be on the route, before heading up towards Johnny Foxes. I took the turn off for Killegar stables, to shorten the run a little, and had forgotten how tough this particular climb is. It's only a few hundred feet or so, but because the view is unspectacular, it just feels tougher than the other climbs. Planned to head home after that, but the legs turned left back up to The Scalp and the body had to follow. One last climb and I was fairly shagged, feeling all of this week's 60+ miles. Getting medium length runs done for the next 4/5 weeks is going to be a problem between races and travel, so glad to have chalked up another one.

Summary: 15.37 miles in 2:04, @8:01/mile, HR=134

• Advertisement

Sitting around in wet clothes waiting for shower to heat up = chest infection = antibiotics = no running

So today's treat was:
    18 x 15 core exercises
    18 x 2 x 4 weights

Yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sitting around in wet clothes waiting for shower to heat up = chest infection = antibiotics = no running

viral infection + marathon = bacterial throat infection = antibiotics + running = no running + more antibiotics + no Jingle Bells + misery :mad:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    viral infection + marathon = bacterial throat infection = antibiotics + running = no running + more antibiotics + no Jingle Bells + misery :mad:
    Stinks doesn't it? Last year i tried to run through it, and ended up on three or four separate courses of antibiotics, lasting 5/6 weeks. I don't want to risk the same thing, so I'm going to give up running until I start to feel better. In the meantime, I'll have a core of iron. :)

Stinks doesn't it? Last year i tried to run through it, and ended up on three or four separate courses of antibiotics, lasting 5/6 weeks. I don't want to risk the same thing, so I'm going to give up running until I start to feel better. In the meantime, I'll have a core of iron. :)

They're my thoughts too, rock hard and fcukin slow:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Mr Slow wrote: »

Yeah, that looks like fun. :eek:

So do all you hard-core (forgive the pun!) boardsies have a pull-up bar in the living room then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Look after yourself for Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

"When your tired do one more"!

Emer911 wrote: »
    Yeah, that looks like fun. :eek:

So do all you hard-core (forgive the pun!) boardsies have a pull-up bar in the living room then? :D

Not yet! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Who runs much these days anyway. Overrated hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Who runs much these days anyway. Overrated hobby.

That sounds like triathlete talk to me :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That sounds like triathlete talk to me :pac:

Don't. You. Start.

Reporting all of ye for bullying. :mad:

Day 3 in the Big Brother Krusty household - no running.
    Longest running break in feicin ages, but there is a glimmer of hope. I woke up this morning and could breath a little easier, so hopefully the drugs are digging in. I'm glad I've showed some wisdom/restraint (for the first time in years), as I really have to nip this one in the butt. XC race on Sunday (that I've been looking forward to) and two weeks out of the country in December (both trips to freezing winter conditions around -25'C), so right now getting my health back is more important than running.

Tonight will do weights and core again, and then fingers crossed, will be able to run again tomorrow.

Day 3 in the Big Brother Krusty household - no running.
    Longest running break in feicin ages, but there is a glimmer of hope. I woke up this morning and could breath a little easier, so hopefully the drugs are digging in. I'm glad I've showed some wisdom/restraint (for the first time in years), as I really have to nip this one in the butt. XC race on Sunday (that I've been looking forward to) and two weeks out of the country in December (both trips to freezing winter conditions around -25'C), so right now getting my health back is more important than running.

Tonight will do weights and core again, and then fingers crossed, will be able to run again tomorrow.

Here's hoping!

I'm sidelined for a while yet, touch of post viral fatigue, prescription? That horrible word......Rest!

Tonight: No running (still, if you can't run, it's definitely the week for it!).
    18 x 15 Core strength
    18 x 2 x 4 weights

• Advertisement

Today: Easy 10k run
    Oh powerful endorphins, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. When I woke up, I was feeling another 10% better (they all add up!) but still a lot of chestiness and coughing. But it was sunny, and I haven't run since Sunday, and.. and...

I threw on the merino wool under-layer I picked up in ALDI earlier today and a long sleeve top and hit the pavement. First thing I noticed - no great improvement to the knee. So much for rest curing all ills. Headed for an easy 10k loop on the road surrounding Corkagh Park, and gradually the pace picked up, however, I definitely have reduced lung capacity so Sunday's XC race is not going to be as competitive as I'd hoped/planned. Best hope is to cough, splutter and wheeze my way around the course at around 6:30/mile and hopefully avoid last place. Oh well. My great XC breakthrough will have to wait until next year. :)

Summary: 10k in 42 mins, @6:51/mile, HR=146

The rest will do you good - you'll be flying with velocity relative to both the ground and air!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The rest will do you good - you'll be flying with velocity relative to both the ground and air!
    What'choo talking about Willis? The rest is done. Back to full speed ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

two weeks out of the country in December (both trips to freezing winter conditions around -25'C.

where abouts you going in the states?
    we have hit -25 already here in canada, but went back about 0'C again for a while....expecting it to drop and stay down soon :(
    joined a gym for the winter, can run outside but cant do anything fast as its too slippy, and hard(compact snow/ice).

seanynova wrote: »
    two weeks out of the country in December (both trips to freezing winter conditions around -25'C.

where abouts you going in the states?
    we have hit -25 already here in canada, but went back about 0'C again for a while....expecting it to drop and stay down soon :(
    joined a gym for the winter, can run outside but cant do anything fast as its too slippy, and hard(compact snow/ice).
    Hi Seany, not too far away. I'm spending a week in a small rural town South-East of the twin cities (Minneapolis, St Paul). I have grand designs on going for a snowy trail run on the Sunday I'm over there, but my colleagues are urging me to cop on. I'm no stranger too those temperatures, but would normally have a couple of skis and a naggin of Brandy with me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Hi Seany, not too far away. I'm spending a week in a small rural town South-East of the twin cities (Minneapolis, St Paul). I have grand designs on going for a snowy trail run on the Sunday I'm over there, but my colleagues are urging me to cop on. I'm no stranger too those temperatures, but would normally have a couple of skis and a naggin of Brandy with me. :)

your just south of me so. the coldest ive ran in was around -12 on a windy enough day, any exposed skin gets a rough time. lot of people wear balaclavas or face masks here.
    otherwise, so far i wear a base layer, tech shirt and a long sleeve tech shirt, thermal leggings, hat and glooves. i was advised to get a wind breaker jacker also - which is in the post.
    im hopefully going to continue my long/weekend runs outside but am forced indoors for my mid week runs, much to do with timing than weather but the weather doesnt help.

running in the snow(powder) is a good feeling, soft landing yet hard for the legs but im sure its a good thing - on the trails here the snow has been compacted though, to pretty much ice which has no forgivness, its not slippy to run easy pace on, just not good for the legs due to impact forces.

anyway, best of luck with it

seanynova wrote: »
    your just south of me so. the coldest ive ran in was around -12 on a windy enough day, any exposed skin gets a rough time. lot of people wear balaclavas or face masks here.
    Where I'm headed (River Falls, Wisconsin), it's usually around -25' to -29'C in mid-late December, and a 6 foot snow-fall is not uncommon. I did find a trail-marked nature reserve beside the hotel I'll be staying at for the weekend, but I reckon hitting the trail alone probably isn't a good idea, as it's beside the water's edge and quite remote. Could just be a week of treadmills.

Today: 6 miles with 400m strides
    12% improvement in general well-being today (an extra 2% for over-hearing Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews singing 'Baby it's cold outside' on the radio). Headed to Corkagh Park in conditions that must be unique to Ireland; head-winds that hit you from every direction, and rain with a flight path perfect for filling ear canals. 1/4 mile strides at around 5k pace, at each mile marker helped to keep the interest up and the cold out. The 6mm spikes could barely cope with the sloppy conditions in the park, and for the last set of strides I was slip-sliding up the gentle hill at an unimpressive 5:40/mile. Still, a nice mini-session, to start filling out a bad week of running.
    Summary: 6 miles in 45 mins, @7:33/mile, HR=~137

reckon you'll need 9mm on Sunday - do you have some, if not let me know

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    reckon you'll need 9mm on Sunday - do you have some, if not let me know
    Cheers Dom. I have 12mm. Would they be overkill?

Advertisement