Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cheers Dom. I have 12mm. Would they be overkill?
    You'll be fine with those, expect it to be soft and some parts with long grass

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: 7 Easy Miles including the Jingle Bells 5k
    Couple of miles of warm-up in Phoenix Park, where I checked out the final mile of the Jingle Bells 5k, before I was recruited to do the most important pacing job of my life; accompanying my 11yo daughter around the Jingle Bells 5k route in under 30 minutes, without taking any walking breaks. Well, she did a wonderful job, with only the very minimum of encouragement (getting her to slow down in the early stages of the race), finishing in 29:20 (watch time). I had prepared her mentally for a sprint down the finishing chute, but when she kicked, I couldn't catch her, without looking like I was going all out to beat my daughter, so I had to let her go. :D She really enjoyed it, so hopefully we can get her out running with the Bray Runners juniors at some stage. She certainly seems to have a hell of a kick. Finished up with a warm-down mile.
    Summary:
    5.2k in 23 mins
    5.0k in 29 mins
    1.6k warm-down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sounds deadly and at a good pace aswell, well done her. Try bribe her and get her down to Bray, perfect age for it, as the teen years are only round the corner...and the dreaded distraction...smelly boys :D
    You have me looking forward to doing the same some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

One day when you're between knee replacements and adult diapers, she'll be pacing you in the Senior Citizen Speedy Feet 5k!!

Awesome job by your daughter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

She really enjoyed it, so hopefully we can get her out running with the Bray Runners juniors at some stage.

Feel free to PM me if you need any details. There are plenty of girls her age in the group so she won't be short of company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

She must have got the kick from Emers side. :D:D
    For an 11 yr old to run 5k is super. But she showed hte comptetive side too beating her old man. She probaly has seen it so many times in races that she thought she would have a piece of it.

Every race report I write seems to follow a standard recipe. First, you throw in all the excuses you can think of, add in a pinch of optimism, two tablespoons of reality, and then you either end up with a delightful treat, or a dog's dinner. This one is no different. :)

All the excuses I can think of: Last race of the year, I'd been looking forward to this one for a few weeks, as it was keeping the motivation levels up. However, my preparation could not have been worse. I felt I was generally in good shape, until I picked up the chest infection last week, and then the antibiotics stole almost every sleeping moment from me, leaving me awake for vast stretches of every night. Throw in a Christmas party in Wexford on the proceeding night (I was on pretty good behaviour, and was in bed by 1am after just a couple of beers), and a number of drunken corridor revelers whose method of communication had devolved to high-pitched screams and finally include token drunk hotel guy, who insists on knocking on your hotel room door at 3:30am for 35 minutes until you tell him to go away, and I think I managed around 90 minutes sleep for the night.

A pinch of optimism: This would be my second ever XC experience, and up until recently, I had never worn spikes before, but I've been getting out in them a couple of times a week for the last 4/5 weeks and have found them great; even helping to rehabilitate minor niggles and muscle pains, albeit at recovery pace. I had even done some tempo runs in the spikes and they felt great, so I was looking forward to a proper race. Recent long rolling hill runs should also help with some of the recurring short sharp hills of the XC course.

Two tablespoons of reality: I went for a warm-up run with Beebeep and Fin, and got to survey the course first hand. It was a tough 2k loop (5 laps) with three hills, but a decent amount of recovery after each hill, the kind of layout that suits me, however even on an easy warm-up loop I felt like I was working hard. I didn't know too many of the other runners, but lining up at the start of the race, they all seemed confident and cocky, which was completely at odds with my own sense of doubt and impending doom. My ambition was to run a steady race, and try to finish fourth in the club rankings (a scoring member of the team). Abhainn, Pronator and Pre had all opted for the Eastenders omnibus, so it was up to myself, Beepbeep and Martin Francis to supplement the Bray front-runners and try and regain the club honours.

Just dessert or dog's dinner?: As the race kicked off, I was in around 18th place, but took the opportunity of the first hill to push past around 6/7 runners. With a half a lap done, I was on my own, with Martin Francis and another runner 100m ahead. The XC race dynamic is great, as with so many twists and turns, you can see almost every other part of the race in progress. I could see the leading pack, then Fin and a couple of runners, then Martin then myself. 10th or 11th place. The support around the course was fantastic for such a niche event, and I was feeling good on the climbs, so I gradually closed the gap between myself and Martin, who was running well, but breathing heavy on the uphill. Nobody else within range to chase down, but I did get some motivation from lapping a couple of runners, by lying to myself that they were vying for the same finishing spots.

The next few laps were a case of digging in and trying to push where I felt strong (on the climbs), to avoid any later challenges. Beepbeep and I passed in opposite directions and he reliably informed be that I had a 10 yard gap. It was at this point I realized that I have no fecking idea how long a yard is, but I assumed it meat that I would soon have someone breathing down my neck.

The going was getting really sloppy at this stage in some areas of the course, and trying to find purchase underfoot was becoming increasingly tiring, so I was delighted (horrified) to start climbing the final hill, that would take me towards the finishing chute. I listened out for the spectators cheering on pursuing runners and sure enough, it sounded like there was someone 5-10 seconds behind me. I kept pushing up the hill, before picking up the pace on the flat, expecting a sprint-off at any stage. I was almost disappointed that it never came, as it would have made all of the choking and retching nearly worthwhile after crossing the finish line. My next pursuer followed approximately 8-10 seconds later.

The result: I crossed the finish line in 9th place overall in 38 minutes, as the fourth (scoring) runner for the club. Thanks to some super runs from the Bray Runners, the club took 1st place and held on to the county title and I got a shiny new gold medal. So not by any means a masterpiece, but a result I'm pretty happy with. Not a sherry trifle (yuck) or a Tiramisu (yum), but more of a Banoffi (tasty).

Summary: 6 miles in 38:34, @6:23/mile, HR=165

Last night: Plank exercises and foam roller to ease my poor bones

Today:
    Rest day, so just:
    19 x 15 core strength exercises
    19 x 2 x 4 sets of weights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Love the report KC ! You should give it another stab on Sunday in the National Novice, only out the road in the Curragh ! Im just encouraging ya cause i know it will result in another enjoyable report :)

Seres wrote: »
    Love the report KC ! You should give it another stab on Sunday in the National Novice, only out the road in the Curragh ! Im just encouraging ya cause i know it will result in another enjoyable report :)
    Lol. Cheers Seres! Not going to happen, unless the race is taking place 6,000 miles away in Wisconsin! Also I think I'm precluded from running the novices, after winning a medal in a Leinster road race (even though there was only a handful of us in the race!). But mostly the Wisconsin thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Lol. Cheers Seres! Not going to happen, unless the race is taking place 6,000 miles away in Wisconsin! Also I think I'm precluded from running the novices, after winning a medal in a Leinster road race (even though there was only a handful of us in the race!). But mostly the Wisconsin thing!
    You didnt have to go all the way to The States for an excuse ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

No such luck KC, road races and xc are separate. See you out there next year.

asimonov wrote: »
    No such luck KC, road races and xc are separate. See you out there next year.
    Hmm... Ok.. How about this one...
    - County, provincial and national senior individual events
    The cross-country season consists of county, provincial and national championships. The cross-country races are subdivided into the following categories:-
    - Novice
    - Intermediate
    - Senior
    You can run in any or all of the above categories subject to the following rules:-
    - If you finish in the first 3 individual or on the winning team in the novice, intermediate or senior at County, Provincial or
    All-Ireland, you are not eligible to run at either that level or a lower level the following year.
    - Only exception to above is the senior category - you are always eligible to run senior once you are 16 years of age.
    - The rule also applies on the track from 1500m upwards.
    Surely this... C'mon.. Dig deep... There's got to be something.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Hmm... Ok.. How about this one...

Surely this... C'mon.. Dig deep... There's got to be something.. :)

No, the key phrase is 'at this level or lower'. But there are 2 layers of level i.e. Senior/Inter/Novice and National/Provincial/County. If you won county gold at Senior level, you can't run Inter or Novice at County level but you can at provincial and National Level, etc. So if you won provinicial gold, you can still run all novice and inter levels at National level, but you can only run Senior level at provincial or county. If you won National Novice, you could still run County Inter...does that clear it up?

No, the key phrase is 'at this level or lower'. But there are 2 layers of level i.e. Senior/Inter/Novice and National/Provincial/County. If you won county gold at Senior level, you can't run Inter or Novice at County level but you can at provincial and National Level, etc. So if you won provinicial gold, you can still run all novice and inter levels at National level, but you can only run Senior level at provincial or county. If you won National Novice, you could still run County Inter...does that clear it up?
    No...and you're not helping the cause. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Maybe this will make it more clear, I've confused myself above. If you finish top 3 individual or scoring member of winning team at any of the races underlined below, you will be ruled out of the levels underneath the underline.

County Novice
    County Novice

Provinical Novice
    Provinical Novice
    County Novice

National Novice
    All novice

County Inter
    County Novice
    County Inter

Provincial Inter
    Co. Novice
    Co. Inter
    Prov Novice
    Prov Inter

Nat Inter
    All novice
    All Inter

County Senior
    Co. Novice and Inter

Provinical Senior
    Co. Novice
    Co. Inter
    Prov Novice
    Prov Inter

National Senior
    All novice
    All inter

Been a mad week work-wise (and the next 10 days will be worse) so a bit of a catch-up:

Tuesday: 7.4 mile night-run
    Took the new 'high-beam' head-torch to Shanganagh Park for a late run, and enjoyed convincing the birds in a nearby copse of trees, that spring had returned. Had to stay away from the shore-line for fear of causing ships to change course towards some nearby rocks.
    Summary: 7.4 miles in 55 mins, @7:27/mile, HR=143

Wednesday: 5 Minute plank

Thursday: 10k run to Bray Head and back
    On the way out to Bray with my 3.5 layers of clothing (and first outing for my sexy Flanders running tights), I felt as strong as an ox, jogging easily at one point at 6:33/mile. Then I turned back for home (and into the wind). Ahh.. Right.. That explains it. Slow as an ox..
    Summary: 10k in 41:47, @6:44/mile, HR=150

Today (morning): 5 minute plank. Happy to be finally able to do this without taking a break. A great way to start the morning, before heading into work, giving the muscles a warm fuzzy feeling.

Today (afternoon): 6.3 Mile steady run
    The bright sunshine did little to warm-up the air, so the recovery run became a steady run, to get some blood-flow circulating. Unusual encounter #1 - running along the banks of the canal, I noticed a young lad (of type non-fixed abode) riding a pie-bald bareback on the opposite side of the canal at a decent canter. As he drew level, it became apparent that this was a race situation (in my head anyway). Rider and horse stormed passed, only as far as the next gate, where he had to dismount and weave the horse through the U-shaped gates. I managed to get another slight lead, but as we reached the top of the canal (road junction), he pulled ahead for the win. I didn't hang around to find out what his expected prize was, and headed back the same way.

Unusual encounter #2:Coming back through Grange Castle Business Park, I happened across a couple of lads with skinny dogs and ferrets in tow, obviously enjoying an early afternoon rabbit hunt. Clondalkin... Never a dull moment..

Summary: 10k in 40:57, @6:36/mile, HR=155

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Maybe this will make it more clear, I've confused myself above. If you finish top 3 individual or scoring member of winning team at any of the races underlined below, you will be ruled out of the levels underneath the underline.

County Novice
    County Novice

Provinical Novice
    Provinical Novice
    County Novice

National Novice
    All novice

County Inter
    County Novice
    County Inter

Provincial Inter
    Co. Novice
    Co. Inter
    Prov Novice
    Prov Inter

Nat Inter
    All novice
    All Inter

County Senior
    Co. Novice and Inter

Provinical Senior
    Co. Novice
    Co. Inter
    Prov Novice
    Prov Inter

National Senior
    All novice
    All inter

You'll find in some smaller counties that the scoring member rule is dropped, also after a period of time you can ask to be reclassified. My example, I won the Wicklow Novice and Intermediate and was 2nd in the Senior in my hey day - but I'm no longer a threat so I'm back running the 3 events.

Yesterday: 4 miles steady
    With only 30 minutes available before legging it to the airport, I figured 4 x 7 mins and a stretch was the best I could muster. Roads were icy and cold, but not a patch on how icy and cold they are here in Minneapolis. Not a great run, but I find that when you're pressed for time, they rarely are. It's now 5:30am, and I'm waiting for the sun to come up to see what the weather holds (currently -4'C which ain't that bad at all for this time of year), and check out if I can hit the local trail, or head from the dreadmill.

Summary: 4 miles in 27:20, @6:42/mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Welcome to America.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Welcome to America.
    Thanks. I assimilated quickly, and spent four hours walking around 12 miles of loops around the Mall of America. I hate christmas. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Krusty- forgot to mention - two craft brews to try while you are out that way- Masala Mama from Town Hall Brewery is a classy hop bomb IPA and anything from Surly Brewery in Brooklyn MN.... Very good beer out that way

Saturday -> Saturday: Work, work, xmas shopping, dinner, beer, work, work, work, beer, more beer, more work, lots more work, and lots more beer. Running? Nope. No running shoes adorned my feet, no Forerunners graced my wrists, no shorts, no running tops, and throughout; very little sleep. I reckon I averaged around 4 hours per night.

The only form of exercise I managed beyond drinking beer was a 90 minute indoor rock climbing session (after work, and before beer). It was one of the best core workout sessions I've ever done (pity they don't have these kind of facilities readily available in Ireland :() and over the subsequent days I dfound it difficult to raise my arms high enough to use my keyboard.

Fast forward, past an assortment of Juicy Lucys, and cheese curds and I was happy to arrive back home. Only managed 2/3 hours of sleep on the long hauls back home, so this run was as much to clear the head as to clear the conscience. A nice run around local roads, streams and bridges, so when the mp3 player ran out of juice, I was glad. It's great fun being away, but it's good to be home.

Summary: 6.3 miles in 44 mins, @6:58/mile, HR=146

Followed by 5 minutes core plank exercises.

Today: 20 mile road/mountain run

The proper way to atone for this week's running misdemeanours would've been to say one 'our father' and three 'hail marys', but I couldn't remember all the words, so I headed for a long run in the hills instead. The plan was 15 miles, but each twist and turn took me further and further away from home. Firstly instead of heading for Enniskerry, I took the turn past Johnny Foxes, following the Dublin Mountain Way. Instead of heading back down to Stepaside, I found myself following the trail up to Three Rock. As I gained more height, the temperature dropped and the trails froze and I realized that I hadn't passed anyone in an hour,so I figured staying up on the mountain wasn't a good idea. But still I followed the trail, until I'd passed the turn-off for Tibradden and slip-slided my way down to Ballybrack Road (someone had seen fit to repeatedly drive some bull-dozers up the trail, and make it largely un-runnable).

After 15 miles, I arrived back at Johnny Foxes and stopped off for a Lucozade and some salty peanuts (I hadn't bothered bringing any grub for what was supposed to be a 15 mile run). The temptation to sit down and listen to the trad music session with a mulled wine, was way too strong, so I hit the door and headed for home, with quads complaining loudly. I arrived home feeling a little better about the previous week, and almost ready to start sinning once more.

Summary: 20 miles in 2:55, @8:30/mile, HR=147

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Attaboy, good to see you back doing trails. Hope to join with you for a run over Xmas.

Quick Injun reservation ciggie at JF's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play on getting straight back into it with a 20 miler. I'd say the Jucy Lucy took its toll alright... that thing looks frightening. I think I saw it (or something similar) on that Man vs Food TV show a few months back.

Attaboy, good to see you back doing trails. Hope to join with you for a run over Xmas.
    Quick Injun reservation ciggie at JF's?
    I tell ya, if I hadn't been wearing a luminous yellow jacket, tights, and been caked in mud and sweat, I would've been there for the evening! Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to make any runs after Xmas day until the 2nd January, as I will be far, far away, where the temperatures rarely exceed -20c.

But if you fancy running the Dublin Mountain Way, I reckon early February could be on the cards.

Killerz wrote: »
    Fair play on getting straight back into it with a 20 miler. I'd say the Jucy Lucy took its toll alright... that thing looks frightening. I think I saw it (or something similar) on that Man vs Food TV show a few months back.
    I also saw the Juicy Lucy on Outrageous Foods. The one I had was topped with pulled-pork (what is this need to serve multiple animals in the same dish?!). I'd say it was around 2,000 calories, so I probably just managed to work it off on my 20 mile run. You know what they say though... When in Minnesota, do like the Minnesotans!

• Advertisement

Today: 5.4 Mile recovery run
    Not sure whether it was the 6 days of no running. Not sure if it was the 20 miles. Not sure if it was the scale of climbing over Three Rock, but my legs were in a shambles today. So the strut around Corkagh Park was a real pain-fest. I could've taken a rest day, but I've realized that I need to run another 36.67 miles by the end of the year to make an average of 7 miles per day. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm going to be unable to run from the 26th for the rest of the year.. Can I do it? 10k per day for the next 6 days? The jury's out..

Summary: 5.4 painful miles in 42 minutes, @7:45/mile, HR=134

Advertisement